Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Recently had a weekend stay with our Linedancing group, Lovely welcoming hotel, staff were all very happy and polite. The food was really very good value and the overall general service was great. rooms very nice, Would definitley stay again if in that area and would recommend.

Room Tip: We asked for a ground floor room as one of us is disabled and this is what we had and were very plea...
3  Thank kathy s
Andrea B, General Manager at Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will pass on your compliments to the team and we do hope you have the opportunity of visiting us again very soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed here for two days for a friday and saturday night. We were part of a large group and were on a bed breakfast and evening meal basis. Our room (140) was comfortable and with an on suite. But on both nights a continual "boom, boom" of music could be heard from other premises until approx 3 am. Nothing that the hotel could do about it they said. The meals were very good and plenty of it. Our group was in total 70+ in numbers and the way the meals were served was just fantastic, a lot can be learned from the system that is used here. I have a solution for the noise. If Best Western were to "Secondary Double Glaze" ALL of the windows to the rear of the property then the sound would be greatly reduced if not totally cut out. Come on Best Western invest in this "gem" and keep your reputation intact!!!

Room Tip: Right now choose a room at the front.
2  Thank JEFF W

Thank you for your recent review, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the meals in the restaurant, I was sorry to read that your sleep was disturbed from outside noise, the hotel is ideally located for the town centre and unfortunately the occasional noise is inevitable however I have made a note of your comments regarding double glazing and we will certainly consider this for future projects.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Recently stayed here for one night on our tour of the UK. Parking was easy right on site. Check-in was prompt and courteous. There was a small elevator for use to get upstairs. The hotel is a large old Victorian hotel with high ceilings and delightful old charm. There was a wedding going on as we checked in so it was certainly very busy but we were handled with efficiency nevertheless. There was a fitness centre in the hotel that was certainly very clean and had a wide variety of equipment. We had supper in the attached pub which was only mediocre. Breakfast the next morning was very hectic with not enough staff and far too many clients at small tables all pushed too closely together. The food was hot but unfortunately with that amount of clients was picked over and rather messy. I think the staff really did the best that they could but they need more help. I would return here to stay would chose to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Zappafan5797

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton, I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding the food and the busy breakfast. Weekends can be very busy with guests choosing to dine a little later, we do have quieter times for breakfast and I am sorry this was not communicated to you. Thank you for your wonderful comments about the hotel it is indeed a delightful building and we are very proud of the Victorian history. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We booked in to the Clifton and got an upgrade which was well worth it for the view.We went for the last night of the firework festival and weren't disappointed and It was only a walk across the road.The second night we had the set meal in the restaurant and it was so good we decided to book the next night.The staff could not be anymore helpful.The hotel was in a great setting for Formby national trust to see the red squirrels and Crosby beach,plus Martin Mere.Also Southport itself.

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade for a front room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank june s

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Royal Clifton, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the musical fireworks. I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant and that you chose to dine a second time I will pass your compliments to the chef and the staff, I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Arranged to meet general manager through Best Western after having a problem with hotel parking agents, only to be left waiting for THREE HOURS and she still didnt see us... Best Western were embarrassed,reception were embarrassed,I was fumming and she didnt care less.
Never been treated so badly.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank peter d

Thank you for your recent review, as the lady from Best Western explained to you I was in a meeting that day and was unable to see you regarding the issues that you encountered with a parking charge, unfortunately due to the hotel’s town centre location parking is very limited and complimentary parking is only available to our overnight guests and for our non -residents there is a pay and display machine for a small fee you can park your car in the hotel car park.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The staff in this hotel are very friendly and helpful. I met up with friends in the Conservatory Bar for lunch which was superb. Two of my friends had a baguette and two of us had a panini. The contents were of an excellent standard and they were stuffed to the brim! The barman was extremely helpful and the sun was shinning - what more can you ask for! Give it a try you won't be disappointed!

2  Thank Alwaysway51

Thank you for your wonderful review, I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your lunch in the Conservatory Bar and you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, I will certainly pass on your compliments to the team, we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Firstly we got married at the Royal Clifton and all staff involved with the wedding were absolutely perfect. The day was incredible and we would like to thank every single person who made our day as special as it was. I can highly recommend them for weddings to anyone.
Unfortunately there were a couple of niggles which put a dark cloud on everything. Firstly i checked in and registered my vehicle for free parking, I later received a letter demanding payment for £100 for a parking violation by Parkingeye, After looking this up online it is a private company who have no authority to fine people but try and force people to pay "Fines"! Considering i did everything correctly at the time of check in it kind of put an ugly dark cloud on the experience.
Secondly television reception is poor! unwatchable poor! I reported the problem, a gentleman came up to the room, switched a few channels, said it was the "box upstairs" and that he would "have it fixed tomorrow" (hardly any use to us when we are checking out in the morning). Now i see other reviewers have also commented on poor television reception leads me to believe that they are avoiding fixing it.
Also the Jacuzzi in the Bridal suite doesn't work! Was a let down
So, if the small niggles hadn't happened i would be here writing the best review i have ever given. Our wedding was the most amazing day of our lives and we are eternally grateful to the attentive service of all involved. Just a shame the hotel side of things let it down. I have still rated this Excellent because the wedding staff were just that good it is unfair that the other parts should take away from their amazing efforts.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ltlite

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Royal Clifton I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your wedding day and I will certainly pass on your thanks to all of those who helped to make your day so special. I was sorry to read the issue that you encountered with parking I do hope that is now resolved. I have made a note of your comments regarding the poor TV reception and can assure you that it is now being dealt with, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this caused you. I am so sorry that you were not given a room with a Jacuzzi I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly on 01704 533771 as this should not have happened. Thank you once again for your review.