“Transported Back to a Time your Grandparents would Remember”

Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western Royal Clifton Hotel and it was quaint and cosy. I could envisage my parents and grand-parents being nostalgic about a place like this. As it had an obvious history with plenty memorabilia to support a time that was its hey-day, which has long since gone; but still the halls and corridors seem to hold onto those memories. The character of the hotel was visible with cambered and creaking floors. I had an interesting long walk and lift ride to my room that had an ensuite and a comfortable double bed with a blanket I remember having on my bed in the sixties. The rooms were clean and had the usual amenities expected in rooms. I did have a good night’s sleep having had a long drive that evening to get there. The parking was free to hotel guests, but it was awkward to park along the strip of road and parking in front of the hotel. I did have difficulty finding a space available as it was nearly all full. I had a three course dinner at the hotel restaurant that was very good indeed and good value. The breakfast the following morning was equally as good and was included as part of my stay. I did discover this hotel is popular as a wedding venue as it has big ballrooms. The bar situated at one end of the hotel was a bit dated and reminded me of a 70’s working man’s club, as did some of the older staff members working on the evening of my arrival. The hotel does have a spa, which I could have enjoyed had I brought my fitness and swimming attire. It was a nice place to stay on a cold winter weekend, having plenty of character, which made a nice change from the more modern ambience of the usual hotels I tend to stay in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa

Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel was lovely welcoming and full of life, the room was exquiste, four poster bed, tea and coffee. the breakfsat was sublime. A lovely break away before the Christmas madness began. Planning on returning again in Christmas

Room Tip: Suites over look the sea front, perfection
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrea B, Manager at Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and managed to escape the Christmas rush! We will have some fabulous packages available this year prior to Christmas so please do keep an eye on our website.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here over the May bank holiday from Saturday the 4th to Monday 6th.

We arrived early and asked if we could park our car which was perfectly ok, a good start!
The room was situated on the front of the hotel overlooking the promenade and public gardens, it was a very big room with two easy chairs in the bay window which made a very relaxing time, having a drink and watching the world go by.
Plenty of storage space available, a nice TV with a good selection of channels plus tea/coffee making facilities.
There were three heaters in our room, one radiator in the bay window, one electric radiator by the entry door, and one very hot towel rail in the bathroom.
One little gripe would be that the bed was a little firm and only 3/4, plenty of room for a king size?

The breakfasts were absolutely top notch, very good quality products, plentiful and hot, really sets you up for the day!
This is an excellent hotel where you feel welcome, there were two weddings taking place when we stayed, but they were not intrusive at all in fact it was quite nice.
A lovely building which is warm and cosy, highly recommended if you are staying in Southport as it is also so very central.
We asked if we could leave our car at the hotel for a while when departing, as we fancied a walk before setting off home, again this was no problem.

Room Tip: Staying in a room at the front of the hotel is really worth the extra
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blackyabe

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the food to be ‘top notch’ I do hope that you will visit us again very soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This property is tired and many of the staff are surly and unprofessional. The food is poor and the housekeeping was, well, a joke. I estimate that I've about 1500 hotel nights under my belt, and this Hotel is near the bottom on the list of places to stay for that Star Rating.

The start was fine, with the Receptionists cheerful and the room was as promised, albeit a little tatty, but that was not a surprise. The WiFi worked fine (although on day 2 they changed the password without telling guests)

We went for a swim, and my wife slipped on slimy (not wet, slimy) pool steps and wrenched her back which needed several days of heat treatment.

The first night, we had bar snacks and I asked to run a tab. The barman said in an unpleasant, verging on aggressive tone of voice "make sure you come back and sign for it, otherwise I'll have to pay it". We had a party of 10 (non-residents that we had brought to the hotel) and we all agreed that the food was merely "so so" and that we would eat elsewhere the following night.

The next morning at breakfast, we were ignored for 5 minutes waiting to be seated before a concerned waitress rushed up and openly criticised the other staff for not caring, and seated us. We had to ask four times for a pot of tea and (cold) toast. By the way, the restaurant was only half full. The hot breakfast was overcooked, dried-up and stale. The hotel's idea of fruit was tinned prunes and tinned grapefruit.....how 1950s..

We had a lunchtime function in a Function Room. The bar staff didn't know where some drinks were and didn't know prices. The hot buffet was unimaginative and boring. My host, when checking the room in the morning, had asked for it to be dusted and the carpets vacuumed before the party arrived, but that wasn't done.

Then to cap it all, when we got back to our room mid to late afternoon, it hadn't been serviced. A phone call to Reception produced one of the bar staff, who made the beds (yes, we could have done that) and changed the towels. That was the extent of our room being serviced.

After dinner out elsewhere, we went to the bar for nightcap and we were treated with indifference.

The next day was a repeat of the poor breakfast experience. Later in the morning, we went to the bar for a coffee which took ages and the barmaid said that the machine always plays up. The cups, saucers and tray were covered in spilled froth. We left shortly after and frankly were pleased to do so.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank KR4446

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton, I was very disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay, I have made a note of your comments regarding the staff and I am very surprised that you received such poor service as we pride ourselves on our customer service which is also noted in several other reviews, however I will certainly investigate your comments. I am sorry that you had to produce your key card when charging items to your room this is to prevent any errors that may occur or items placed on your account that you may not have had, I will certainly speak to the member of staff that was on duty as this should have been explained to you in a courteous manner. I am sorry that you did not enjoy any of the food during your visit we do have very extensive menus available with two dining options the Pavilion Restaurant which offers Al a Carte dining and the more informal Conservatory Bar which offers a fabulous range of homemade dishes. I do hope we have the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel and that we are able to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

stopped at the royal clifton for a two night break booked a room with all round views along the promenade and booked this hotel for the spa we were very pleased with this hotel and all its facilities will definately visit again well done everyone at the clifton

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I was very pleased that you managed to use the leisure facilities within the hotel, we do have some fabulous spa breaks available so please do keep an eye on our website for all the latest offers.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel looked lovely on the outside and in. Very old and quirky with squeaky floor boards which I loved.
However the room was very small, and has a shower and no bath.
It was nice enough and had everything we needed for our night stay, with shower gel and shampoo - saves us bringing our own.
The breakfast was ok, a buffet style breakfast, but I think breakfast time should be extended until 11. I am a late breakfast eater. :)
The staff were very nice and friendly though

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Royal Clifton, the hotel does have a fabulous Victorian charm with many original features and some fabulous rooms with glorious views, I have made a note of your suggestion regarding the breakfast times and welcome your feedback, I do hope we have the chance of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding and it was perfect for both the wedding and a weekend break in a traditional Victorian seaside resort. Food was excellent throughout but a special mention is due to the breakfast! Staff always helpful and friendly and the room was an excellent size and decorated in an appropriate manner for its setting, a beautiful building throughout

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Sharon P

Thank you for your recent review, I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, I will certainly pass your compliments on to the breakfast team.