“big disappointment”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Southport
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“big disappointment”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This used to be the best hotel in Southport. It has been taken over by the Britannia group, which are very much at the bottom end of the market, and it is now very run-down. Many areas of the hotel need redecoration, the beds had very lumpy mattresses and the bathroom was unheated. It is virtually impossible to charge any items to your room (instant settlement by cash or credit card is needed), a gin and tonic (£4.10) was absolutely tasteless, and it was very difficult to find a table for an evening meal as there was such a tight schedule for the numerous coach parties. The cooked breakfast was quite good but the cornflakes were the cheap and wooden variety and I have never seen soggier toast. Even though the hotel owns the private parking space at the front they still charge residents £2 as a fee.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Darrell F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have stayed here lots of times before and always been happy, this time we had an Executive double room, the wind was howling through large gaps in the sash windows,and it was very cold also the toilet didn't flush properly, it was an adjoining room and we could hear everthing that was being said next door as if they were in the same room.

I complained to reception and all they could offer was a downgrade to another floor, I felt I was being fobbed off, I explained that this was our 45th Wedding anniversary to no avail, to top it off the heating started banging during the night and we had to turn it down to stop it.

Further insult was at breakfast no one to show us to our table, when we found one we had to set it ourselves, as did everyone else (this was the norm) You had to go and find tea and coffee which was a self service near reception and bring it back, there were several elderly ladies having difficulty pouring, then bringing it back to their table, other residents were helping them.

Because of this there was long Queques, note for management, no one showing you to table at dinner, how do you check who has eaten, we could have had free meals.

Think this will be our last visit

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jimlilac10
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I, and my linedancing friends, spent a weekend (Friday to Sunday) at the hotel, and we had a very enjoyable time. The hotel is a lovely Edwardian building situated on the main street of Southport and very handy for all the amenities. I shared a twin room with en-suite facilities and found it to be warm and comfortable. We were in a party of over 40 people. We were treated to tea or coffee on arrival, and a drink of our choice in the ballroom each evening. The ballroom was spacious, with bar facilities and there was ample room for us all, either sitting or dancing. Meals were eaten in the restaurant, and food was good and plentiful (you could eat as much as you liked !!! ) Breakfast was a choice of all the usual cereals and fruit juices and you could then help yourself to a traditional English breakfast. Evening meal consisted of a choice of starters, a carvery and choice of sweets, tea or coffee. On Saturday afternoon, It was very cold and I spent some time in the lounge where there were two roaring fires and very comfortable chairs to sit in. Afternoon cream tea was being served to visitors. I spoke to a couple, who said that it was very appetising. We spent 2 evenings in the ballroom and 2 mornings, as well,
Overall, I had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and would certainly visit the hotel again

Cumbernauld, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

stayed at this hotel for a week and thoroughly enjoyed it.the hotel was first class and the food was very good, very friendly Staff,.so all in all i think that it was good value for money and i would thoroughly recommend it for a good Holiday.

2 Thank Andy N
south yorkshire
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Whilst I accept and understand that " You get what you pay for" i dont understand why the manaegment of this type of hotel think that it is fair to treat visiting parties so disgracefully. Not enough Staff. No porters help what so ever with elderly peoples luggage even when the only lift in this masive hotel was broken down ( again according to lots of other reviews.)
The rooms were ok a bit tired looking but clean and comfortable.
The food was not good at all. Nothing like the menu advertised in the booklets in the rooms.
In particular I was discusted with the bar service the way the Bar man spoke to me and others around me. Most of our party had nothing good to say about this chap. However the lady that was in the bar was most helpfull. She had to be though as on the sunday night there was no draught beers on in the busy louge bar and she had to go into a function room every time some ordered a beer.
The entertainmaent was good on the friday and Saturdays. The young lady hosting the evening was a very nice singer and was happy to involve members of the audience who eager to sing a few song for her and with her. Differnr story on the Sunday im afraid. I dont actually know what the gay hosting the evening was trying to do. It was terrible.

Please britania hotels Employ some people. Start with sme responsible people who can look around them and see that things are not right.
I will avoid The Britania Hotel Group from now on.

3 Thank SouthYorkshireKeith

Travelers are raving about these Southport hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

we stayed at the hotel a few weeks ago and hotel is in need of decoration our room was veryclean i do find that the corridors upstairs are very hot and made me feel sick walking along them , We have been to the hotel several times but do find that the standard of the food has gone down It was always a carvery but now No carved meat just meat in a gravy , we also stayed for two nights with friends recently and still found the food not that good. and staff in dining room not very friendly but staff in bar good and receptionists good. My friend had a problem with her toilet seat but it was fixed right away receptionist very good considering she was very busy sorry did not get her name but thank you. We will be staying here again later in the year and hope food is better . all the soups i had at hotel had LOADS of pepper in and nearly burned the throats of us.

1 Thank atk4
Heywood, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed one night in this hotel and that was enough. Glad didn't book a weekend. We had originally booked into the sister hotel across the road but while travelling to hotel received a phone call saying they had double booked us in and they had a room in their sister hotel prince of wales. They said the room was the same - executive double Inc breakfast and the price was the same £119. It was definitely not worth this.

On arrival was told they would waiver parking cost which was £2 and was told on 3 rd floor but was not told the lifts were out of order or offered any help with bags. My partner carried both bags and dog bed up flights of stairs, but I was very out of breath and my knees were hurting due to my terminal illness, which I stated that I had a disability to the lady who phoned me to tell me they had double booked.

When eventually getting to the room it was definitely not what I would call executive room far from it, as like the whole hotel it was outdated, smelly, old TV set, two coffee n two tea and two milk for making hot drinks was not enough and one towel for two people. We didn't bother asking for more as we only stayed one night.

We ate out for dinner that night at a local Italian as the food on offer was a self service buffet which wasn't what we expected. Breakfast was buffet too but not very good either.

I would not go back to this hotel for these reasons very over priced for service we received. Very dissappointing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple