“Lovely old hotel with character!”

Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We have just returned from a three night stay at The Prince of Wales. We are seasoned guests of Britannia Hotelsalthough this was the first time we had stayed at this one.
We got a tremendous deal via the Britannia website and being a true believer that you get what you pay for we were not expecting a luxury stay! When I booked I requested a room with WiFi and if possible a front view. When we arrived I was advised that WiFi wasn't available in the rooms but it was in the lobby. This didn't bother me as I am quite capable of using my laptop in the lobby whilst having a drink form the bar. We were given the key to our room which was on the second floor at the front of the hotel. Up we went to find that we had in fact been allocated a suite which was enormous! Separate living room, bedroom with two doubles and a bathroom. We were thrilled but even more so when I checked my laptop and found that I could infact access the hotels WiFi from two floors up! All this for £40 a night for the room, bed and breakfast for both myself and my husband.

Ok the hotel could do with a little updating but if you want sterile surroundings and rooms that look exactly the same then maybe a Travellodge or Premier Inn is for you. We actually enjoy the character of these old hotels.

Service was great - nothing was too much trouble. We bought a Saverway Travel Ticket which gets you around Merseyside by train, bus or Mersey Ferry. We had a fab day out - to Liverpool, New Brighton and on the ferry!

All in all a very enjoyable stay and we will certainly be back!!

Room Tip: Buy a Saverway travel ticket for £4.60.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
sales-pow, Manager at Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor .We do try our best to meet all our guests needs, and it makes all the difference when you get feedback like yours .Thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,604)

Reviewed April 20, 2011

Hotel is in a nice location, lots of space not cramped, corridors big and airy.
Onsite parking is great at £2 a day and secure.
Reception was good, Staff all very pleasant.
We stayed in room 218......stated a family room, 2 nice size rooms, bathroom was big enough, plenty of clean towels every day, new toiletries replenish every day, BUT...when I booked the hotel was told had front facing room, room 218 faces the back onto not very pleasant views. Without fail at about 7:00 every morning the bar below the room would tip the empty bottles out into the glass skip and make such a noise that it woke the children up.
The floorboards in the room are a nightmare. Every single board creaks and I MEAN EVERY SINGLE FLOORBOARD CREAKS.....you can’t move an inch without a MASSIVE CREAKING SOUND, was impossible to the loo in the night without waking kids up....
TV’s in the rooms are old models, not many channels to watch so again limited viewing for kids.
The first night was difficult as the mattress had springs sticking out of the top, I reported it first thing in the morning and we had a new one delivered that afternoon which was bliss that second night.
Quality of food was very good; good home roasts etc, a good choice for kids, lots of pudding and ice cream which always makes kids happy.
Bar is nice, reception seating is great, lots of it; there is a snack vending machine, but no drink vending machine which is needed again for kids.
Hotel was mostly full of elderly folk which is nice as there are lovely to chat too about old times and they give time to chat.
The entertainment in the evening was simple, bingo, name that tune, etc and again not to taxing for the brain and kids enjoined it, nice suite where it’s held.
People on holiday ruin hotels reputations, we watch a family chat all night in the bar , then when we went to bed we heard them walk past out room and as they all went to their own rooms they all shouted down the corridor “night-night” as loud as they could, again waking people who had been asleep.
All in all…..not a bad hotel for the money….yes it needs a face lift and some small adjustments but its old and has its own charm…if people choose to complain after then they expected more than they wanted to pay…..find another hotel for a few pounds more….
Southport....not a lot to do really, It’s not as I remember being when i was a kid. Fun fair is a rip off £1 a token and each ride is 2 tokens to 4 tokens per person, £50 went in 20 mins and rides pretty lame.
There is a parade opposite the premier inn with fantastic choices of restaurant, worth a walk if fed up with good food in hotel.
The pier is a nice walk to the end, was windy when we did it so watch out for the gusts of wind.
Children don’t like posh hotels so this is great for non fussy kids and parents.

Room Tip: food good, location good,
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sdenny

Reviewed April 17, 2011

This hotel is, let's face it, a Victorian monstrosity which was built a long time ago and which it is almost impossible to update to top modern standards because of its lack of space to expand, rabbit warren like building and dated style.

However.....the owners have clearly done their best with it (it would cost millions to completely renovate) and it is a pretty comfortable stay in an excellent location in a pleasant resort.

We were there to attend a wedding. We arrived just before 11am and had paid for a noon check in. To my amazement our room was ready! That really was a plus as it meant we had a rest after the journey plus time to change at leisure rather than in a rush.

Our room was 324 and it had a very high window which you could only see out of by climbing on the bed so that was a bit claustrophobic. However, the room was large and comfortably furnished albeit with furniture that had seen better days.
The bed was clean and comfortable and there was a hair dryer and coffee making facilities. There were also 2 pillows per person and ample room for suitcases and also good wardrobe and drawer space.

The bathroom was off a separate hallway which was good - but the fan in the bathroom was very, very LOUD. The bathroom really needed refurbishment - it was extremely old fashioned and there were a lot of marks and scuffings. However, it was clean and there were ample towels which could actually have been fluffier.

The TV was weird - it was an old set and was situated very low down. I was on the far side of the bed and if my husband crossed his legs I couldn't see the screen very well.

I expected it to be much noisier but it was fine despite there being a group on at the wedding downstairs. All we heard were police sirens on and off through the night which I suppose is to be expected in a seaside resort on a Saturday night!

The catering at the wedding was excellent and the reception was held in a 'Grand Ballroom' - which again was a relic of yesteryear with balconies and staircases - it's actually a fine example of its type of architecture at a time when British seaside towns were booming and Southport was considered to be very upmarket.

The car park is way too small for the size of the hotel - but then its town centre location restricts that being expanded.
The hotel is located on Lord Street right in the middle of the shops.

There was plenty of choice at breakfast where there were tour groups of elderly coach trippers tucking in with relish. We thought the breakfast was excellent and the ambience in the room was good.

All in all we had a very pleasant stay. I would describe this hotel as 'comfortable' and really all its shortcomings are down to its age, restricted location and multi level layout.
It cannot compete with modern 4 and 5 star hotels but I felt it was a good place to stay and if we were coming to Southport again I would be happy to stay there.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EPD
sales-pow, Manager at Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2011

Thank you for your feedback, it is always pleasing to read the good comments people put on trip advisor, especially when they are an honest account of the hotel and the staff. Thank you again for your great comments regarding the Prince of Wales

Reviewed April 12, 2011

stayed at the prince of wales for 1 night after booking a late deal.
nice big rooms but could do with updating lovely buffet breakfast.
bar prices as cheap as nearby weatherspoons also great location
on lord street across from all the shops. will stay again in near future

Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for my birthday weekend 25/26th March and booked through Travelstyle as a self drive. Were a bit hesitant booking due to some bad reports on Trip Adviser and unfortunately they were well founded. We had room 220 which wasnt too bad decor wise and the furniture was quite nice but it was very dark and dismal due to the window facing a roof and side wall and had frosted glass which were absolutely filthy. It was horrible not being able to see even what the weather was doing. The bathroom had again a dirty old window frosted and was in need of some decorating but plenty of hot water available and nice white towels.
The evening meal was very poor (buffet style) with very little choice and the vegetables well over cooked and tasteless. Soup also tasteless but as all the other starters had been used and not replenished so we had soup. There was an hours free bar which was good but very limited on the selection that was free. We were Ok personally as the drinks we normally have were included but any bottled mixers you had to pay for.The two nights we stayed we hardly got to sleep until the early hours, despite going to bed about 10.30 - 11.00pm due to the noise from the function rooms and also people being very noisy late on up and down the corridor and banging doors. 3 Functions on whilst we were there and our room was right above one of the function rooms.
Breakfast was quite nice apart from the rock hard toast but selection was sufficient.
Some guests had problems parking as there was insufficient parking for the number of guests but we arrived early Friday and never used the car until check out. £2.00 a night charge for parking on the hotel car park which we thought a bit of a cheek,

We would not go back to this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone. Compare it with Travel Lodge and Travel Lodges would win hands down with us. At least you know what you are getting. and can see through the windows.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
sales-pow, Manager at Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

Thank you for placing your review on trip advisor .Its a shame that people don’t think before they place these comments on trip advisor. If people did think that paying £25pp For DINNER, BED, BREAKFAST, AND A 1 HR FREE BAR, Im sorry. There are plenty of people around to mention these points to. Also VERY clearly stated on the way in is the tariff for the parking this is for all the people who care to read it.
We have looked into your WIN HANDS DOWN comment and yes for the say weekend Travel Lodge would have charged you £28.95pp BED AND BREAKFAST ONLY.

Reviewed March 23, 2011

had a great time in the hotel food was tops and staff frendley .went round southport at night had a very good time the breakfast was one of the best i have had in a long time .the room in the hotel was super large and there was just me and the wife can i just say will be booking again soon . thanks STE AND MEL from HAYDOCK

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Reviewed March 12, 2011

We booked a 2 night stay at this hotel for the 11th to 13th of March. We had always wanted to visit southport and It was intended to be a very special weekend for my wife to recover from what she has been through over the last two years. We booked an executive double bedroom and it`s description was that it was spacious, with most rooms facing the front elevation or having a spa bath. We arrived at the hotel at 10.30am and went to the reception to ask if it was ok for us to leave the car in the car park. The girl in the reception at the time was very polite & extremely courteous & said it was no problem. She confirmed that we had an executive room and that we could check in between 2.00 & 3.00 clock. After check in, we went to the room ( 210 ) and what a disappointment. There were stains on the bedroom wallpaper, the decor around the radiator was brown and the bathroom ceiling was one big damp stain from either a bathroom above or from the roof. I would suggest that at best, the bathroom is of a standard you would expect in a hostel. The room was freezing cold though the radiator valve was in the on position. Room 210 overlooks the side road and does not have a spa bath. My wife rang reception and asked them if this room was in fact an executive room, or had there been a mistake?. The reply was that it was an executive type. I went down to reception to report the faults and while I was waiting in the queue, the receptionist was asked by a colleague who appeared to be coming on duty if there were any problems. To my astonishment she replied and I quote " The woman in Room 210 rang to complain that the room was neither front facing nor did it have a jacuzzi". I did not take a liking to my wife being described as the woman from Room 210 and the way that the problem was being dismissed by the receptionist. I think her name was Marie. When it was my turn, I politely introduced myself as the husband of the woman from Room 210 which she had just spoken about to her colleague. I explained that I work in the hotel trade, and that the standard and condition of Room 210 was not what one would expect when booking an executive type. Their response was that as I had booked the accomodation through Late bookings.com and not directly with the hotel, the fault lay entirely with the third party. Seems very interesting that on the hotel`s own website, the rooms are advertised in excactly the same wording. When I asked Marie if she had actually seen Room 210, the reply was " yes a while back when she was on housekeeping duties". We got the impression that they were not really interested and that the problem was not theirs. I told them that I was not prepared to stay in a room that should not have been in service, especially with the damp to the bathroom ceiling. We were assured that our credit card would not be charged and we returned home on the same day. 220 miles of driving for nothing. For anyone thinking of booking this hotel, just make sure with them beforehand that you will not be in Room 210. There may well be better rooms but they really should not have let this room out in it`s current condition.

1  Thank Jade098
sales-pow, General Manager at Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Thank you for your comments which you placed on trip advisor, I have spoken with reception regarding your booking .You did say that the room you wanted must contain a Jacuzzi which you had not booked .When reception asked for your confirmation as to which type of room you had booked the Jacuzzi was not on. As you say you are in the trade so you obviously know if we don’t have that type of room then we haven’t got it!! Thanks again for your comments I will check the room to be in such a poor standard but unfortunately it’s occupied for the next 5 nights and have been in for 2 nights so far without any issues.