“Just about perfect..”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham
“Just about perfect..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Great value. Great location. Great surroundings. Ramada Plaza was just great. I have paid double the room rate for far inferior hotel's. Attentive staff, good food, very clean and up to date interior. Parking secure and included in your room rate. Free wifi throughout the hotel. Ramada you have excelled here.

• Stayed September 2013
gmramadaplaza, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
A perfect review, many thanks for taking the time to leave this wonderful feedback.

Enda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I styed at the Ramada Plaza Southport for 6 nights this week for business and then attending a conference.
First the positives. The room was very good, the bed very comfortable, and clean, clean, clean! Housekeeping staff were wonderful, right down to giving me a few extra cookies. The second great thing is the breakfast in the morning. The full English or continental breakfast available every morning is terrific, a great way to start the day. I was appreciative of the extended hours, travelling for me results in jet lag, and nothing is more disappointing that having breakfast wrap up at 9 am so 1000 weekdays and 1100 on weekends was most appreciated. I found the staff extremely pleasant, accommodating, and they definitely know the meaning of service. I was able to meet with a client in the lounge area, so good for meetings. Also, there is a door from the ground floor that leads directly to the conference centre, so I didn't even have to go outside which was a good thing with the rain and windstorm in the area.

Unfortunately, there is a negative. I have no other way to say it than the internet was terrible. I was hardly able to open an email, in some cases it took 1-2 minutes to open and email or load a file. Trying to send a return email was a joke, you would be lucky to have a keystroke go through every 15 - 30 seconds. When it can take 20 minutes to open a file or 10 minutes to write an email, this is unacceptable for business purposes. Fortunately, I had my phone so was able to use that to send and receive urgent emails. The wifi was supposed to work throughout the hotel, but I was not able to connect in the lounge area. I did speak with the staff a couple of times, and they indicated that they kept rebooting the servier, but clearly that was not the answer as the internet service did not improve the six days I was there. I spoke with other hotel guests and they indicated the same. This is all that is preventing this from being a great place to stay for business, and that is the internet. I was happy to attend the conference, the wifi there was at lightning speed and free, so I could do my work from there easily.
So on the whole, great place to stay as long as you don't need the internet!

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor, quiet....bathtubs have very high sides! You may need a stepladder to get...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for this great review, I am sorry about the internet issues which you experienced, I am please to say that we are currently upgrading our system and will soon have a fibre connection offering unrivalled connectivity.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

spent one night here on a business trip ,booked late and got a fantastic deal on bed and breakfast for the two of us,after two nights at the hilton blackpool last week i can honestly say the ramada is far superior,the room was spacious, clean, quiet, fantastically equipped, staff are helpful.the business area we used was smart and functional and what fantastic views.only downsides were the roadworks outside(not the ramadas fault)and walking through the bar to see a table with 2 men sat with a lot of empty stella glasse on it,being picky it gives the impression that staff are not bothering to clear tables . .

Room Tip: take a chance and book late ,higher floors the view gets better
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post this excellent review, we appreciate your comments.

Hope to see you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the Ramada Hotel on a b/b basis at the weekend. Perfectly located for the Southport Airshow. We arrived early to avoid the Airshow traffic. When we walked up to reception we received a very abrupt response ' we can not check you in now, it's too early!' He was very rude. We didn't expect our room to be ready at 9:30am but we wanted to let them know that we had arrived, that was all. Our bags were stored away until we could check in at 3pm.

We had lunch in the hotel which was ok, but the service was apauling. They forgot the sauce which was in the description of the meal my partner had ordered, the table we sat at had not been cleared from the previous people. Following our meal, I timed it, they took over an hour to remove our empty plates. I would like to say they were busy, they were not that busy - they just didn't seem to have enough staff.

The rooms were lovely, apart from the sink in the bathroom was a challenge! I am 5'7" and I struggled to wash my face in the sink, it was that high up!

Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and well cooked.

We would stay again, but at £189.00 for the night, it did not meet my expectations by any means. I would not pay that again, it would have to be on a very special offer basis next time.

Room Tip: 5th floor over looking the lake was nice
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking time to review the hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly look to address those areas of concern.

We do look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Have a compaint with there refund policy and a complaint about our recent stay. feel this would be good to share with the community on trip advisor and how this is dealt with. Overall hotel is Ramada standard which is what the product says. Which is A*. great location, great staff, great food. my complaints are not everyday issues. I would recommend any day.

Room Tip: swimming pool and spa poor as not in hotel....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gmramadaplaza, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Many thanks for reviewing our hotel here on Tripadvisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay. I am happy that I have been able to answer your queries regarding our cancellation policy.

Accrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed 2 nights staff very attentive rooms very clean contemporary décor, breakfast buffet style plus specials made to order included. The best I have been to in it's price star, bracket. Parking £3 in hotel basement convenient and worth it.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms available not really worth extra cost
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the excellent review, I am delighted that your enjoyed your stay with us here at the Ramada Plaza Southport. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my husband last night after the southport air show. Overall the hotel was lovely and the staff were very friendly and professional. I wanted to give it a perfect rating based on this but I had a couple of niggles. One bieng the room main door has quite a bit of damage to it and looked like it had been forced from the inside and not repaired properly. Another was the seal on the shower door was coming away causing water to leak all over the floor. I know these are minor but when you pay the amount we were charged its not a lot to expect these things be repaired.
The main niggle I have and which my husband has contacted the hotel to complain about, was the noise from the wedding that was directly underneath our room. We stayed in room 315 and we were not advised that a wedding was going on and some noise was inevitable which is probably not policy but a bit of courtesy would have been nice. We returned to the hotel at 11pm and I went to bed while my husband had a drink at the bar. The noise level in the room was loud! And as I can be a light sleeper I had brought my earplugs along. I could still here the music through those and I rang my hubby to ask reception when the music would stop. He was told it was 12:30, I wasn't happy but not in a position to ask to move room and knew it would be impossible as the hotel fully booked. The music stopped at 12;45 and I could not sleep until it had finished. I would recommend anyone reading this who is also a light sleeper to not accept a room on the 3rd floor when an event is taking place!
Apart from this the hotel is lovely and perfect location for the sights of southport.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank laura h
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay, I am sorry for any inconvienience caused by the entertainment on Saturday evening, it is unusual for rooms to be affected in this way.

I do hope that the rest of the hotel lived up to expectations and that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Enda Rylands