“Pretty Good”

Ramada Plaza Southport
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Southport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Visiting family in nearby Birkdale and stayed in town for a couple of nights - our first hotel stay in Southport.
The Ramada looks to have been built within the past 5 or 6 years and is conveniently located on the promenade, about 300m from the town centre and rail station.
Bedrooms are clean, comfortable and quite well appointed 4* accommodation, with in-room internet access. Reception staff were polite and helpful.
We didn't use the restaurant, as there are plenty of good eating places on the doorstep, so can't comment on the food.
The website advertises a 'gym' but this small exercise room is a bit of a non-event, with just a bike, cross-trainer and rowing machine. Hardy types can always run along the Prom!
Overall, we would recommend this as a comfortable and convenient place to stay for a short trip to the area.

Room Tip: Upper floors have views over the bridge and boating lake
1  Thank DMC13
ThomasKennedy, Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for the review.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and in particular that you found our team to be friendly and helpful.

Our fitness suite does have limited equipment however we do offer complimentary use of the opposite Victoria Swimming & Leisure Club. My apologies if this was not explained to you during your stay.

Thanks again for choosing our hotel, me and the team look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future.

Deputy Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,175)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

stayed here for the second time, this occasion I was in a room opposite the lift/elevator. This room was smaller than those on otherside as no room for a table and chairs by the window.
the rooms have a full size bath with an over the bath shower. The toiletries may aswell be forgotten. They are 20ml / 0.68fl.oz and it was impossible to get the body lotion out of the container so take your own supplies.
The restaurant, food great but thes service is soooo slow. We booked a table for 7pm and didn't get our main course until 9pm. It was a saturday night but that in my mind is no excuse.
Cooked buffet breakfast was not great- The scrambled eggs were oily/fatty a serving spoon with holes to drain grease would have served better. The sausages need to be rested on bread to soak the grease up like is done in so many buffet bars in hotels. The fried eggs again were greasy. There is an a la carte breakfast which is a better choice
The lifts are not in the centre of the hotel so if walking an issue then ask to be closer to it. Again, the lifts cause a problem as although they have two they are small and with luggage only hold 4 persons at the most, additionally only one of them serves the underground carpark.
On the plus side this hotel is away from the noise of the bars.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.

I'm delighted that you found our team to be helpful & friendly. Thank you also for highlighting certain areas for improvement. I shall discuss your concerns with our departmental management team at our weekly meeting.

Thanks again, we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We used to spend a lot of time in Blackpool, on overnight stays at the Hilton, but now tend to go to Southport, as this is a better hotel.They have lots of special offers on rooms & breakfast, which make it very reasonable.
Rooms are clean, comfy & quiet, & breakfast is good, though we did not rate the evening meal, as it was very tasty, but not much of it.The location is ideal, on the prom near the lake,pier,& all the shops.Another plus point is the entertainment, which is varied & good. We went to see a comedy show that was excellent & reasonably priced, & stayed the night. The theatre is right next door, which is also handy.
Down side, not much, no indoor pool, no gym & getting out of the bath needs great care, as the sides are higher than i've ever seen before, rather dangerous, though there is a warning sign!!
All in all I would definately recommend trying this hotel, especially if you can get a special offer rate.
PS the parking is underneath the hotel, so is secure & free

Room Tip: Choose a high room for a better view, & not near the lifts
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank choosey738

Thanks for the great review!

I'm delighted that we managed to exceed your expectations throughout many aspects of your stay with us. As well as the adjacent theatre, we also hold our own comedy shows with great value accomodation packages. The next comedy show is on 15th March 2013, so don't forget to check our website or call us direct for exclusive rates.

My apologies, but it seems you were not informed of our available leisure facilities during your stay. We have a fitness suite located on the second floor of the hotel and also offer complimentary use of the Victoria Swimming & Leisure Club which is opposite the hotel.

Thanks again for taking the the time to write a review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at this hotel last weekend 23/02/2013 had a pleasant stay food was excellent staff were friendly and helpful could not have asked for more the location was grat for shopping or a walk round the marina

Room Tip: we had the executive suite well worth the extra great view of the marina

Hi Tracy,

Thank for taking the time to review your experience with us.

I have passed your comments onto our team and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Executive Suites.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed for a long weekend, for a family party. The room 504 looked out over the boating lake. The rooms were beautifully clean. Stayed for bed breakfast and evening meal. Breakfast buffet was excellent, plenty to choose from also a'la carte if you wanted fish or something different. Although they were short staffed on the second day and no a'la carte. Car parking is poor first come first served. If no space you have to park in car park nearby, where you have to pay. My niece paid £3 first day and was told to pay another £3 at midnight and then another at 7am.
Dinner was Ok, 2 courses on the special although portions were'nt large and only 1 vegetable.
Staff all friendly.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to Southport. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our views over the Marine Lake to you satisfaction,

We hope to welcome you back soon and don't forget to check our website or call us direct for exclusive special offers.

Many thanks,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked for a long weekend Friday to Monday at £50 room only. This was a good rate for a four star hotel in this location. My trip changed and I asked to extend another 10 nights, the receptionist said it would cost £70 at the weekend so I eventually accepted this. The receptionist was not very pleasant at all, it was a case of like it or lump it so this upset me more than the additional charges.
After this my room key card stopped working every other day and as I was on the 5th floor it was very annoying to have to go back down to reception each time to get it fixed. After the 3rd time I asked to see the manager, the same unhelpful girl had advised me that my credit cards could have caused it, I said it could be that someone was only booking me in for 2 nights each time so the key card would automatically refuse access. The manager did not appear but another receptionist came out after some time to assist me and after I explained my reason why it was going off it did not happen again for the remainder of my stay. Finally when I got my bill it cost £110 for one of the nights which after arguing that I was never told by my unfriendly receptionist was reduced to £70.

1  Thank Keith F

Hi Keith,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us at The Ramada Plaza Southport.

We aim to exceed the expectations of each induvidual guest and I am disappointed that you you found certain members of our team to be unhelpful. Please be assured that I have discussed you concerns with our Head Receptionist and we will highlight your comments with the rest of the team.

I trust your guest bedroom and other aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction and I hope you have not been deterred from staying with us in future.

Large clean rooms.
Bathrooms have good quality fittings /towels and toiletries...with showers and a bath.
Large reception area and nice sized bar area.
Free parking under the hotel is a plus.
£57 not including breakfast.
Suprisingly no spa/leisure facilities on site, but with free use of the Victoria facilities opposite.
This looked decidedly dirty and dingy, more like old style public baths with old dirty torn posters outside, advertising what was inside. We gave it a miss!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you choosing The Ramada as your preferred choice of accomodation for your recent visit to Southport.

We aim to exceed the expectations of each individual guest and I'm delighted that we achieved our aim during your stay. The Victoria Leisure Club opposite the hotel is a complimentary service we offer to our guests and although it is rather an old building, I apologise if you found the cleanliness not to our high standard.

Thanks again for your review, we hope to see you back at the hotel soon.