“Couple of nights @ Sunnyside”

and 1 more site!
Sunnyside Guest House Southport
Ranked #5 of 40 Southport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Couple of nights @ Sunnyside”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Me and my friend arrived sooner then we had anticipated as we didn't hit much traffic. Once we got to Sunnyside we went to the reception with our booking confirmation but it was before the check in time so we decided we'd just pay for our room now and come back later at which point we were told we could check in early.

We were both very happy with our room and the modern décor. The breakfast was perfect and the full english is a good portion. Everyone that worked there was so helpful and friendly. Particularly Anthony who recommended some restaurants and brought us some menus and took my very heavy bag up to the top floor for me. The b&b exceeded our expectations by far as the rooms are so affordable. The room wasn't particularly small and we were given a room with three beds rather then the two we booked.

We would have preferred a shower rather then a bath but it wasn't a problem. Having stayed in our room a day or so we had noticed some imperfections but nothing major. As we were always needing to charge our phones we were plugging and unplugging our chargers throughout our stay and noticed a fair bit of movement in the power point in the wall but i dont think it looked dangerous even if it sounds it. There were marks here and there on the bathroom door and dotted about but none the less the room over all appeared to be clean - where it mattered. The beds were bright white, very clean and so comfy, both of us slept very well. Having a top sheet as well as a thick duvet was a life saver as it was so hot the duvet spend the whole time off the bed. And the carpets were very clean, i know this as we were always in the room barefoot. I'd like to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I was exhibiting at the conference centre and as an experienced B&B visitor I found Sunnyside top of Google for Southport B and Bs and checking trip advisor with around 98% five star review and a four star B&B rating I rang up to book a single room for £35 which I thought was very reasonable for four star the only downside was that the room wasn't ensuite but I was told the bathroom was down a few steps.

Upon arrival, the hotel is opposite some DSSS housing with kids hanging around outside and the carpark is quite compact and if your first there then someone could possibly park behind you and block you in but I was greeted outside and Anthony offered to carry my bags for me, and provided me with lots of information about local restaurants and deals which was much appreciated. When shown to my room I noticed that the carpet going upstairs was generally a bit tired and needed a deep clean and there was a slight fusty smell. I was briefly shown the bathroom which was halfway up the first flight of stairs and then onto my room which was on the second floor so quite a way to have a shower but there was a toilet just down from my room.

I was put in room 8 which is a double, I'd only booked a single so thought I can't complain! It didn't look anything like the gorgeous pictures of the black/white rooms on their website. I dropped my stuff off and went out for something to eat so didn't really inspect the room, it was small and basic but sufficient. On my return I read through the introduction booklet, there was lots of rules like no food in the rooms, no excessive noise etc which I guess is understandable if they have had problem guests in the past. There was other notes about a handy item welcome pack which was no where to be found and a lot of information about heights of the communal toilets and sinks, and the material of the carpark, not quite sure why this is necccesary!

The television was an LG flatscreen but was to the side of the bed so you had to sit across the bed to watch it. I had trouble finding the remote control so started searching the drawers, one set of drawers had a brown sticky stain splattered up the front and the bottom drawer had this same stain and condoms in, please see picture! I was absolutely disgusted and upon checking the room further the stain was also all over the skirting board by the door which is the other end of the room! The mirror had finger stains all over it and the carpet needed a good hoover and I never did find the remote!

I went down to complain and I spoke to one of the owner's daughters, and the rest of the family returned from shopping so the owner came to sort the problem. I had subsequently locked myself out as I'd picked up my car keys rather than the room keys, but Anthony the son managed to get into my room for me. The owner apologised and said that they'd had a new cleaner in and started cleaning my room immediately. I decided to check out the bathroom whilst she was in there and was absolutely horrified! The downstairs toilet was okay, but the bathroom next door had substantial poo stains down the toilet, the sink had a used toothbrush in it, the shower had so much hair in the plughole a used hair grip and the glass was thick with smear stains it was disgusting, I have very long hair and understand that hair can get caught up but the state of the bathroom was totally unacceptable it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks. I went back and informed them of the state of the bathroom and they apologised and blamed the new cleaner again. After they had left my room, they returned about 15 mins later and offered me an upgrade, Anthony took me to see the room which was an ensuite double room which was lovely just like the pictures and worth the 4 star rating so I accepted.

I was asked what time I would like breakfast and I asked for 8.30, I was told that there was quite a few people at this time so would I be able to come earlier, I said that I'd rather come at 8.45 as I'd be hanging around other wise. I arrived for breakfast the next morning, the tables don't fit in the room very well. I had to squeeze into my chair as the table was in a little cove, the table of three that arrived shortly after mine were struggling the sit down as the table was so close to another couple that there physically wasn't enough room to sit down. I arrived at 8.45 sharp and didn't actually have my breakfast until 9.05, even though I had pre-ordered the night before. Breakfast was standard I had a poached egg and beans on toast, shame about the egg the yolk was hard and not runny.

As I had booked the accommodation and another member of staff was due to stay at Sunnyside on the Friday night I informed my boss about the situation, and she phoned up to see if it would be the original room 8 that my colleague would be staying in, they confirmed that it would so my boss decided to cancel the room and look for somewhere else, especially after the hold up at breakfast which meant I was running behind for the conference. The owner then went on to tell my boss that she had high blood pressure, we really do sympathise with her but this can't be an excuse as to why the room/bathroom wasn't clean.

Later on that afternoon I had a miscall on my mobile from the son Anthony, asking me to call him back, they were fully aware that I was working at the event. I called back around 30 mins later but he had gone out so I spoke to the mother, she explained that Anthony was upset that I had told my boss that my breakfast was late and that I was running late, as he had offered me an earlier breakfast. He had indeed offered me an earlier breakfast but I didn't think I would have to wait 20 mins for my breakfast. She then went on to tell me that she was a widow with 6 kids and high blood pressure, just trying to earn a living and that all the other rooms were like my replacement. Again I sympathise with her but in the end, she is running a business that provides a service that wasn't fulfilled, I also work very hard, I can accept simple and basic if clean, but not dirty accommodation it was completely unacceptable and certainly not worthy of four stars! She also said that they often have builders staying, as if that would explain the state of the bedroom/bathroom, the communal bathroom should be thoroughly cleaned daily especially as it is available to all guests, and the bedroom should be thoroughly cleaned for each new occupant; completely unacceptable excuses! They made me feel guilty for complaining! I couldn't wait to leave Southport after my experience! My advice don't bother or ask not to be put into room 8!

I welcome comments from Sunnyside, as they are fully aware of the situation.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Elli L
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Group of 7 ladies, just returned from 3 day stay. Excellent value. Clean, very friendly and helpful family run business. Comfortable, spacious rooms. First class breakfast. Ideal situation, with parking, for access to Lord Street and Conferance Centre

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Unfortunately, my husband and his friends did not get a chance to stay at the Sunnyside Hotel because of a blunder made by another online hotel booking company. I was looking to book 2 rooms for 3 nights at a hotel that was close to the British Open. After the booking was made online, I called the hotel to confirm some details. Anthony informed me that the hotel was not close to the Open, and in fact it was an hours drive away. The online website told me it was 6 miles away. I wanted to then cancel the reservation and was informed on the website that it would be a £250 cancellation fee. I called the online booking company, and after 40 minutes on the phone, they told me they would NOT wave the fee. Their reasoning was that the booking website calculates travel time in air miles, and that if I had moved my cursor over the stated miles, I would have known this.
After a few emails, Anthony called me personally to tell me that the Sunnyside would wave the cancellation fee. That this had happened before and agreed that I was misled by the website. Thank you Thank you to Anthony and the Sunnnyside Hotel. My husband and I, when we get a chance, plan to stay there as soon as possible. I know the the customer service will be great!!!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The first time I have been let down by a high rating on Trip Advisor. Sunnyside was a stereotypical old English seaside B&B. First impressions were not good, although they did accommodate my late arrival well. The stairs carpet was filthy and needs replacing, the room doors are cheap & the room was tacky with far too many dust gathering cushions, fluffy toys etc. The mattress on the bed was of a poor quality. In the morning I went for a shower which wasn't there, just a showerhead hose from the taps. Signage to get back downstairs is non existent and needs to be clear. I looked forward to a relaxing breakfast at which I planned to take some notes for a meeting in the morning. The breakfast was in a small room with a loud & large TV on the wall. Jeremy Kyle was the entertainment.....I would have turned it off but two couples who were in the dining room before me were sadly enjoying the spectacle. i decided to settle my bill and find a quiet little seaside cafe for breakfast instead. I would not recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Holsworthy, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Had a Friday and Saturday night stay. Friday night great; Saturday night woken at 2am by late night/revellers passing by and a couple of guests banging the doors and talking loudly. Unfortunate for the hotel owners; they can’t be held responsible for the thoughtlessness of guests.

Otherwise the hotel was good value for money. The staff were friendly and obliging; the food was good but watch out for the cardboard tasting Rice Krispies labelled as Kelloggs – they were most certainly not. The room was comfortable but marred by the en suite bathroom door not shutting properly.

The car parking was interesting. Room for 10 cars on a first in/last out basis or expect to be asked to move your car to let others out.

Rate: about average but not “very good” = 7/10

Prague
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I found this little gem on laterooms.com, it had good reviews sonwe decided to go to southport and stay as a bit of a last minute thing. The hotel was welcoming and friendly and had excellent service. It was vey clean and the beds where very comfortable. We had the breakfast both mornings and it was lovely both days. An enjoyable stay all round!

• Stayed June 2012