“Things to check”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Things to check”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Two couples near pensioner age drove down from Scotland and arrived late afternoon to find Hotel car-park full. Parking was nearby but expensive. We paid for sea view and were not disappointed.
The condition of the rooms seem to be a bit variable due to on-going refurbishment, ours was fine however our friends had some issues, no bath and only a shower, decor a bit tatty and so on.
We unfortunately elected for the 7.30 meal sitting, sat for ages before the order was taken only to have the waiter return half and hour later to tell us that the set menu (DBB) was finished and we were to choose from the a la carte menu. This was not satisfactory as our first choices were also unavailable. Basically we had to order from what was left, we complained and were offered a second bottle of wine on the house as recompense. This was considered an acceptable compromise until checking out we noticed the complimentary wine was charged “on the bill” We pointed this out to the receptionist who stated that as no one had told her about this agreement we had to pay. I pointed out that as I had only signed for one bottle, legally that was all I could be charged for.
The manager and other senior staff were not available to resolve these issues and she said that I had to make a statement explaining my reasons for refusing to pay. This I did, but on reasoning that it may be put on my credit card anyway I insisted on paying cash for the bottle due and getting a receipt. I was then presented with an Invoice for the money due and told this is what they use for a receipt. Pointing out that I had been an MD for twenty years and new the difference between an invoice and a receipt did not faze her at all. Only after argument from our group comprising a HSE Manager, a Hospitals Trust Manager and a HEO civil servant did she relent and add the word “paid” to the Invoice.
Summary
Training is clearly an issue in this establishment and the root cause of the meals failures and check-out problems. Resource was obviously an issue as the restaurant staff were failing to delivery despite working very hard. The hotel is in a beautiful spot and in general everybody seemed to be trying to get things right.

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view. Demand a recent re-furbished room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Many thanks for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the fantastic view that the Imperial hotel can offer at this lovely location. I can only apologize about the communication between departments. I shall investigate your comments about the service received during your stay. Please be assured that all comments and reviews shall be actioned by myself and the team.I and the team have been addressing the problems you have noted in your review and we are working very hard to upkeep the standards of our hotel and when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible, do I hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement.Regards,Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I would agree that the hotel is a little bit shabby and dated in places but the location and whole environment is lovely. I very much enjoyed my stay and totally relaxed here. If I had wanted a flashy, modern hotel with all the latest gadgets i wouldnt have come here as this has other charms. It is a bit 'oldey worldy' but that is part of its charm. I would certainly return

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Joseph T
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments of your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel Tenby. I agree that the hotel is situated in a stunning location with excellent views offering good value for money. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you in the near future. Regards, Simon
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked the Imperial purely for its excellent position on the clifftop overlooking St Catherines Island and closeness to the town centre. Last stay here was about twenty years ago, and having read the Tripadvisor reviews I pretty much knew what to expect. The decor and standard of the rooms in general is very dated, but having said that the price charged wasn't exhorbitant. As others have said, the condition of the bedroom and bathroom leaves a lot to be desired, and reflects the age and price range of the hotel. We ate out (there are loads of restaurants nearby), so only had breakfast in the hotel. This was of an acceptable standard and good choice, so no complaints there. The staff were very helpful, and breakfast service in the restaurant was good.There is a small carpark at the hotel that you need to book in advance. Alternatively there is a private one near the Five Arches that cost £4 for a two-day stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ian_Wantage
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I will pass on the comments to the staff as they always strive to help our customers. Investments of bedrooms are planned for the forthcoming year. We have a small car park which is reasonably priced and can be booked when booking your holiday and we are more than happy to point out other car park facilities and things to do in Tenby and surrounding area. I am pleased you enjoyed the fantastic views and the surrounding area of Tenby and I hope to see you soon. Regards, Simon
South Wales
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had a relaxing drink on the roof terrace over looking the beach. A little bit expensive but the surroundings were perfect. Great views and ammenaties. Didn't stay here but probably will in the future.

Room Tip: Sorry didn't stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased you enjoyed the view as the hotel is in a perfect position overlooking the beach, arguably the best in Tenby. Please look at our website or call direct to the hotel for more information. I hope to see you again in the near future. Regards, Simon
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with shearings at the beginning of September for 5 days. Room was large with a fantastic sea view but bathroom was quite old and dirty. The room cleanliness for our stay was also poor. Food was abysmal. Breakfast was terrible ,hard poached eggs and one day tomatoes on toast was ordered and we were presented with 2 half tomatoes on alarge plate!! Evening meals were even worse, they kept running out of food and some nights we were not offered an alternative. One night we were even presented with packet mashed potatoe(yuck).
We were on a half board deal but had to buy quite a lot of food outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Marie C
Many thanks for your review. I am glad that you enjoy the large room and the fantastic view that the Imperial can offer, I and the team are working very hard and addressing all the comments you made about the food. I shall investigate your comments about the service received during your stay. Please be assured that all comments and reviews shall be actioned by myself and the team. I do hope that you will return when I am sure you will see a remarkable improvement in all aspects of the Hotel and Service. Regards, Simon
Newport, UK
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A friend and I arrived at Tenby on the weekend of the IronMan race only to find Tenby was effectively shut so we couldn't get our car anywhere near the hotel and the hotel did not warn us about this.

When we arrived at the hotel, there was one staff member doing everything, serving at the bar, booking in customers etc. We were told none of the other staff could get to work because of the event.

I walked into my room and was immediately hit by the smell of damp, stale cigarettes and shake and vac. The sea view was amazing through the rotting window frame, unfortunately the room was so bad, I wouldn't have stayed there for free so I asked for another room and luckily was given one.

It was a better room, I wouldn't say it was particularly clean, but it was certainly an improvement even if I lost the sea view.

I still feel angry about the way we were treated by the French waiter at breakfast in the morning, I don't think I have ever encountered such bad service, rude, contemptuous, unhelpful, stroppy, downright unpleasant and inept are a small fraction of the words I would use to describe this odious character. I politely asked if we could have some glasses, he stared angrily at us and snarled 'I'm busy' before proceeding to mill about doing either very subtle work or just the pretence of looking busy.

Needless to say, I won't return.

The worst part is, with good management, this hotel could be one of the best in Tenby and a joy to stay in because of it's location.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank GBlayney
Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your stay at the Imperial Hotel Tenby. We are working very hard to inform guest about the Iron man but as the competition is sort of new to the area our information is also limited. The majority of the roads were closed and because we are situated close to the finish line was difficult to get to the hotel including some of our members of staff. We always strive to provide the best service to our customers and we will do our best to accommodate in the best possible way. I and the team have been addressing the problems you have noted in your review and we are working very hard to upkeep the standards of our hotel and when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement.Regards, Simon
Cleveland
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed at the Imperial Hotel at the beginning of September. The location and views were wonderful. The room was large but bathroom small and the bath panel had been patched up.
Dinning room was well set out, with lovely sea views. The breakfast was good plenty of choice. Evening meal, soup tasty the main course looked very good but found that the chicken one night was tough as was the pork chop next night. There was a supplement menu to choose from at an extra charge. When I explained that my daughter didnt like sauces on main meal or desserts and asked if she could have the cheese and biscuits this was supplied without having to pay the supplement.
Staff were friendly
The hotel is not suitable for disabled due to the different levels and stairs

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room Hotel not suitable for disabled
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank topseyr5
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments of your recent stay at Imperial Hotel, Tenby. Especially those about the staff, they really appreciate people taking the time to acknowledge the hard work they put in. I spoke to maintenance to make sure we replace the bath panel in that room; regarding the chicken and the pork chops I will pass on your comments to the kitchen team. The Hotel has five different buildings join together in the past and some areas are not level, so we have very limit rooms on the ground floor. I am pleased that the Restaurant staff offer an alternative for your daughter and that you enjoy the location and the views from the hotel. Once again thanks for your comments and I hope to see you again in the future.