“Lovely Weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Tenby
Wrecsam, null, United Kingdom
“Lovely Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel is in the perfect location in Tenby, overlooking the beach with views of Caldy Island and two mins walk from the town. We booked a sea view room and rang the hotel to request a specific room and we were really pleased to have our request granted.

There is limited parking at the hotel and you have to book in advance, its £5 per night, which I believe is the same as the rectory carpark at the other end of the prom.

Our room was huge with quite a small bathroom, it was dated and tired but perfectly adequate and the view more than makes up for it.

Staff on reception, the bar and breakfast service were all friendly and helpful.

The Imperial ticks all the boxes for us and we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Tenby.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view room, its well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel R
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your review and, myself and the team are delighted with your wonderful comments we are indeed very fortunate to be situated in a prime location and so close to the town and the most fantastic views of the beach and Caldy Island. Our reserved parking is proving very popular across our hotel estate and it does give you peace of mind not having to worry about parking and very reasonably priced. Thank you again and hope to welcome you back in the e future to The Imperial , regards Simon McVeigh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Gloucester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed with friends for three night break beginning August. Staff delightful and especially polite in the dining room. Standards of cleanliness need to be addressed. Our bathroom was very basic and smelled of "tinkle" putting it politely. Windows filthy and broken. Decor was very "mix and match" with each wall covered in different types of wood chip and varying colours. We did have what I suppose was a ground floor 'terrace' but I use this term loosely as it linked up with the main area used for the outside bar, and did not have any seating! The whole place needs a visit from the "secret hotel inspector" and standards raised in all areas. Residents bar was closed at 11.00 pm, too early for high season.

Room Tip: Sorry, can't think of anything!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tattiehead
Middlesex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

First the good points....
1..Great Location.
2..Friendly but ill informed staff.
Thats it really !! This Hotel is grubby bordering on dirty . The en-suite in our room was quite simply not clean...the plug was held in place by a rusty hair pin. The reception/bar situation is plain daft. Quite often no one on reception and vica versa with bar....must be a simple and economic solution.
Breakfast average/poor.Could'nt quite work out why staff placed guests to the rear of the restaurant whilst seats/tables with the great views were left vacant ....we were only there for two days but front row was always kept free ??
Our room was crampt and grubby.
The open terrace was a disgrace.....full of cigarette end/tables not cleared (field day for the sea gulls)
This Hotel can in my view address all of its shortcomings by pro-active management for minor/nil cost.
ie............ keep it clean for a start and be a little more pro-active and professional with staff....whilst "sort of friendly" they seemed uninterested.I do not expext 5 star facilities/service but the Imperial can easily do hugely better.If this is one of the so called best hotels in Tenby then worry about the others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank propertyspiv
Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your stay at the Imperial Hotel Tenby. As the New General Manager in situate, I and the team have been addressing the problems you have noted in your review. We are working very hard to establish and maintain the standards that Coast and Country are well known for. I am personally overseeing the Food and Beverage Operations and changes have be implemented immediately. I do hope that you choose to pay a visit again, and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement.
Regards Simon McVeigh
Worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed at The Imperial last weekend 27/07/12 for three nights. Really can't understand the poor reviews. Had brilliant rooms with sea views over Caldy Island and South Beach. Visited with my brother who lives in California - and he is mega fussy!! He thought that, for the money, it was great. No complaints about the food. Dining room was airy and overlooked the ocean. Lovely sunny patio area high up on the cliffs overlooking the beach. All staff were attentive and helpful. Single rooms were very spacious - not the usual gloomy, cramped, cells! After all the moans about cleanliness, I was 'on the look out' for some dust, etc. but found none. Reviewers have complained about the different levels and stairs but you must remember that this hotel grew from several adj properties - so it is understandable that the levels might be a bit different. And there is a lift!! Was worried about lack of car parking but it was no problem to unpack car outside the main doors and then go the short distance along the esplanade to Rectory Fields car park. £16.00 for four days and we could come and go as we pleased. Location was also ideal - right in Tenby but quiet at night. Do not be put off by some of these Tripadvisor reviews!!

6 Thank jprice864
Richmond, Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed on the hot weekend of 29th July 2012. My room was facing the back, not the sea. But the back turned out to be the medieval stone walls, covered in ivy and overlooking the old walled gardens. All I could hear was the gentle chirping of birds, no traffic noise nor any other noise. What peace! As I entered in the evening, the sun was pouring through the huge window. I thought I could gladly spend a whole month in this room, especially in winter when you don't want to see the sea. I would read books every afternoon for relaxation. Indeed, the window alone was the size of most rooms in ordinary hotels. The room was huge with high ceilings, and the old Edwardian bathroom made me think I was back in an Agatha Christie novel.

Where else on the UK coast can you have breakfast watching the waves? Normally there is always a road between a hotel and the sea, but here you are directly on the sea. From the breakfast room and terrace, there are stupendous views of Caldy Island and blue sea. What luck! You don't need to move if you don't want to, and can sit in the sea air all day.

How much did I pay? £45 per night, though admittedly through a late booking site. This is outstanding value for money. Backstreet B&Bs with poky rooms were charging £70 or £80 on the same website.

I left forgetting my electric toothbrush. I returned the following day from Saundersfoot to find the staff had carefully stored it in case the guest returned. I parked my car at the hotel's entrance whilst I went in to ask at reception about my toothbrush. The prestige of this location made everyone passing look at you with envy, wishing that they too could stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: My room was unrefurbished. But as I am a fan of Sherlcok Holmes and Miss Marple films, I like the ol...
2 Thank R L J
Oakdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed in a twin room which was comfortable, but basic. Bathroom dark and cramped for what was charged. Most disappointing was the cleanliness of the public areas, which for a refurbished hotel the cleanliness is not being maintained. Reception was not manned on a couple of occasions when we we wanted assistance. Breakfast limited in choice of fruit etc, but hot cooked was quite nice. I have been going to Tenby for years and have seen the Imperial improve year on year, but it's not there yet and the cleanliness must improve if it's going to yet the reviews it wants as it has the location and views which must be the envy of all hotels in West Wales.

Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We booked the holiday online and paid the required supplements to upgrade to a premier room with a sea view and to park in the hotel car park. First impressions set the tone for the stay, unfortunately our first impressions set the tone for the holiday. Reception hidden round the corner, no offer to help with our suitcases, directed to the car park,but not told that I need a key to unlock the chain which stopped unwanted cars being parked. The lobby area was shabby and in a definite need of refurbishment. The room was excellent other than the was mold on the inside of the windows. We had booked half board, a big mistake. The food was not edible. We complained and were refunded the cost of half board.
I concur with Raymond E's comments about the condition of the hotel. If you are going to charge a premium price for a room, then the building needs to be of a similar standard
I would recommend that Shearing's hire a professional hotel consultant to do a through review of the hotel , before the property appears on Hotels from Hell.
Saying that it would not take a great deal of money to up grade the property and restore it to its former glory. The hotel needs a deep clean, staff training and a more welcoming atmosphere

7 Thank David T