“Thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Thank You.”

The Imperial Tenby Hotel
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We have been to a number of Shearings Hotels and therefore knew the ins and outs. Yes the bedrooms are a little tired and dated and in this instance the single room Mother was allocated could have been a little bigger, with a decent sized bed and a shower only facility, but she managed. My fault, I should have queried the type of room offered when discussing the Single Supplement, and I should have specified a shower only facility instead Mother got a shower over the bath. Lesson learned. We all had rooms overlooking the sea. Fantastic views. The dining and public rooms were very good. A credit to the Company. A big plus must go of course to the Staff. Nothing was too much trouble. They were just great. The reception staff were the friendiest and most helpful I have met in many, many years. The food was of a good quality and thoroughly enjoyable. What more can I say, other than we will be going back to The Imperial at Tenby, wheelchair as well to rumble over the cobbled streets.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the sea, preferably a Premier and/or Superior room. Well worth the extra...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank dormercottage
Stephen S, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of your recent stay with us. I am sure your comments will be helpful to future guests who look on tripadvisor before staying. Your comments about the helpful and friendliness of the staff are most heart-warming and I look forward to posting your review on the staff noticeboard. Your tip about the sea view Superior and premier rooms is very true as well as contacting us in advance with any special requests regarding mobility problems or indeed anything else. I am not sure if you are aware but the reason for all the steps, stairs and winding corridors is that the hotel was formed by the merging of three large private houses.

Relief General manager

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Just spent three nights at this superbly situated hotel, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room (16), did not have a sea view, but was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom could benefit from a little refurbishment, but was perfectly adequate.

Stunning views from terraces and public areas were a delight, and the quality of food served in the pleasant restaurant was far better than expected for the price paid, apart from the usual strange brown liquid that passes for coffee common to most hotels. There was a very fair policy of rotating guests in the dining room, so everyone got a chance to sit at the window seats.

All staff were helpful and friendly, with a special mention for Sophie on reception, who was a real credit to her employers.

Less mobile guests should be aware that some of the rooms are accessed via some pretty narrow and twisty corridors with a fair number of stairs, so may wish to request a room near the lift. Parking the car was an issue, resolved by leaving it in a multi-storey about five minutes walk away.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stu
Stephen S, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. I look forward to letting Sophie know about her special mention!
I am sorry however to read that you weren’t happy with the coffee we serve. We use Douwe Egberts coffee and rarely get any problems with it, I will investigate this further with the kitchen and restaurant teams.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Tenby or indeed at one of our other hotels across the UK which are also located in some stunning places.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I travelled as part of a coach party and I do admit that the short break was good value for money. However, we felt like 2nd class citizens as we were not allowed to sit in the main body of the restaurant with sea views but were shunted up to a platform area - it felt like we were segregated! The staff do their best but English is not the main language. We were not allowed to order a cooked breakfast until everyone on our table had had their cereal - even if people came down at different times. This led to comedy as we were urging 90 year olds to "hurry up"!! so that the rest of us could have our eggs and bacon. Hilarious.

The entertainment was great - so kitsch and over the top - wonderful stuff from the Brenda Lee look-alike from Swansea.

My tip would be to pay a bit more for a sea room. Some friends did and we saw what they had - it was truely amazing and you felt as if you were in the middle of the ocean.

The food was fine. I would go back but not with a group next time. The couples travelling independently were treated so much better.

Room Tip: ALWAYS choose one with a sea view - don't go otherwise!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bonvivant064

It is disappointing to read your review as I am sorry you felt uncomfortable during your stay. The hotel is owned by the Shearings Group for whom a large part of their business is providing coach holidays.
We are more than happy to serve cooked breakfasts in twos or fours to larger tables, it is in fact easier for the restaurant and kitchen. We generally take orders for cooked breakfasts as soon as people have helped themselves to the cold buffet. There can be a short delay if a large number of people come down at once but no more than five minutes at the busiest of times.
Your tip about sea view rooms is true – they are marvellous, however the town view rooms are also nice and sea views are available from all public areas in the hotel and of course all along the clifftops and harbour in and around Tenby.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We are couple in our sixties and have often used Shearings Coast and Country or Bay Hotels in the UK plus some of their holidays in Italy and Spain.
This week we stayed 4 nights half board ( Inclusive) at The Imperial which is a hotel made uo of five original older buildings right on the old town walls overlooking the sea.
£44 gained us a lovely sea view and the restaurant overlooks the sea too .
Staff rotated table occupancy so that window tables were fairly allocated.
Staff and service were very good as usual in these hotels ( we've been to seven different Shearings hotels )
The food was enjoyable , varied and satisfying but at tese prices it would by wrong and unfair to expect high cuisine. No one moaned about anything .
The room was a little tired in places but clean and amenable .
There is a very restricted parking situation and especially with regard to guests who are less mobile , it is best and advisable to use the municipal car park which is manned by day and cost us £4-00 per day plus including overnight.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are an extra treat if you want to pay an extra £22 each. Upgrade rooms are also avai...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PaulDilks

Thank you for taking the time to post an honest and favourable review of the hotel. It is always a pleasure to read constructive reviews. The £5.50 per person per night for a seaview is as I have mentioned in countless reviews money well spent.
We do rotate tables in the restaurant so that hopefully all guests are able to experience breakfast or dinner sat as close to the ocean as possible without getting wet! Building the hotel into the side of the cliff must have been a building triumph in the 1800’s.
I am sorry to read that you felt the room was a little tired in places, we continuing a rolling refurbishment programme and if you like a little more luxury I would recommend booking one of our superior or premier rooms which have all been fully refurbished.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at the Imperial on a Shearings Coast and Country three night break on October 21st 2011. We paid extra for sea view rooms and were pleased we had done so as the view over Tenby beach is quite stunning. We both had nice rooms with plenty of space and a roomy modern bathroom with shower.

The reception staff are very helpful as are the rest of the hotel staff. The restaurant staff came across as professional and tentative and nothing was too much trouble.

The food here is very good with an extensive menu plus extra choices if you decide to pamper yourself with the supplementary menu (recommended). They do a “Rib Eye” to die for. A choice of dining times of 6.30pm and 7.30pm are very helpful. The views from the restaurant are quite spectacular especially early evening in October.

It was obvious that there had been some major recent refurbishment at The Imperial, however, hotels of this size and age will constantly need money throwing at it and will require ongoing maintenance because it’s the nature of the beast.

I found it difficult to fault our stay; however, if I had to be picky then the fact that Wi Fi was only available in the lounge and bar areas is a small letdown when your room is on the third floor. The only other gripe (which is a little more serious) is the lack of hotel parking but Tenby is a nightmare for parking in general anyway; however I’m sure some form of concessions could be made for nearby on street parking, even if a charge is incurred. After all hotels such at The Imperial bring good revenue to the town. Struggling to find somewhere to park after a 7 hour drive is frustrating to say the least. When you advertise a self drive establishment then the least of our expectations is hotel parking.

I have stayed at several Shearings self drive hotels so overall a decent hotel which I rate at eight out of ten in general but I drop it down to seven due to frustrating parking problems. Food, service and rooms are certainly on par with most other Shearings Coast and Country self drive establishments and better than some. In my opinion you get what you pay for regarding hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the various upgrades.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BrunoLancashireUK

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I’m glad you enjoyed the supplementary dishes in the restaurant which include Tempura Prawns, the fantastic rib-eye steaks you mention as well as duck and seabass. The Coast and Country brand has enjoyed some large investments to the properties which included our extensive refurbishment works two years ago.
Complimentary WiFi is available in both our bars and lounges on the ground and lower ground floors and some of our bedrooms on the first floor do pick up the signal.
Parking can be a bugbear for some of our guests and our car park is on the small side. This is due to our fantastic location within the historic city walls where space is restricted. There are however several options for parking nearby .
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you again do contact us and ask for a room which can pick up the free WiFi.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

Reception and restaurant - excellent, staff and decor. Nothing was too much trouble.
Restaurant understaffed - there are problems getting drinks at busy times - had to attract their attention rather than they visit each table in turn. Apart from that no issues and the breakfast was superb.

However, our room (35) needs some attention. The shower has mould in the corners from poor cleaning and the shelf below the vanity mirror is broken. The wardrobe door doesnt stay shut. The radiator didnt work (although we didnt actually need it in the end) and the TV is a small 12 inch at least 10 years old and the remote doesn't work. Also there is paper cracked and missing from the ceiling in the bathroom and the general attention to cleanliness could be better.

On the plus side there is plenty of tea and coffee and storage - but the furniture is old fashioned and tired. The view from the room is great and the bed was very very comfortable.

As a last item - there is no signage to the hotel - we drove round twice trying to find it before spotting it tucked down the side of the walls.

We would return but for the money I would expect he standards in the "ordinary" rooms to be better. And please update the TV !!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Stephen S, Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2011

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that nothing was too much trouble for the staff, I look forward to passing these kind comments on. It is however disappointing to read that you had some problems with your bedroom. I am having the maintenance team spend some time in there over the coming week to rectify the issues you raise.
The hotel can be a little tricky to find and we do offer detailed directions, for future guests follow signs for the town centre and railway station, at the petrol station bear left under the railway viaduct and once you have the historic town walls on your left hand side continue following the walls until you reach a single arch almost at the sea and we are located on the left, the hotel is actually built into the town walls.
Relief General

Reviewed October 8, 2011

On arriving at the hotel was asked as they were short staffed if we could eat at 7.45 pm this was nearer 8.30 pm, eating late each evening meant we did not always have a full menu, we were always being rushed the staff were asking for our sweet menu before they had cleared the the main course at the same time were running around laying the breakfast,we could never get a coffee unless we went to the kitchen and asked ,not very relaxing and that was what we had come away for ,if we needed a drink at the bar we had to go to reception and the receptionist had to serve,we asked to see a manager but was told he was not on duty. Bedrooms and bathrooms old/ tired and badley stained. all of this is due to lack of managment. Never to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Neil M
123PJR, Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2011

It is most disappointing to read that you were so unhappy with your stay. As you will see from other reviews posted many guests thoroughly enjoy their stay with us and pay compliments to the food, staff and management of the hotel.

During the time that you stayed we had a large party of ramblers in the hotel who all ate dinner together at 6.30pm, this is the reason that we then served guests who were not part of this group at 7.45pm. On one evening the group did leave the restaurant a little late and I can only apologise for this. We were not short staffed, the restaurant cannot physically accommodate all guests at once and it does put pressure on the kitchen if too many people dine at once which can cause delays for guests which we obviously aim to avoid.

The Caldey bar which is situated next to the restaurant is staffed all evening with bar staff when entertainment is on and most guests choose to stay downstairs and watch. The Triton bar upstairs next to reception is often very quiet at these times and the receptionist does cover this bar at quiet periods, there is a doorbell at the bar to call the receptionist through to serve you.

I am sorry if you asked to speak to me directly and I was not on duty, unfortunately I am not here 24 hours a day but there is always a duty manager here to deal with any complaints and I am happy for guests to arrange to see me as soon as I am back on the premises. Whilst you were clearly not happy this stay I would ask that you please do not let one bad experience deter you from returning, should you decide to return please feel free to contact me directly to book

Relief Manager