“just needs a refurb”

Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Tenby
Rogiet, United Kingdom
“just needs a refurb”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Have just returned from the Normandie after celebrating my husband and elderly mother's birthday and all I can say is what a great welcome we had. Yes I agree with other reviewers that the Hotel side needs redecorating but our rooms were large, clean and even though we were overlooking the street were quiet. People wih walking difficulties will find it hard because of the amount of stairs to get to the bedrooms but it's central location is second to none. The gentleman when we arrived was so wonderful. pointing out the nearest carpark ( two pounds 24 hrs) and was always obliging. The barman in the night called Danny was funny, efficient and the service was excellent. Our breakfast consisted of what you wanted. Freshly cooked to order and served hot and mouthwatering.

Room Tip: We had rooms 6 and 7. Quiet when we went but probably a bit noisier full deason. Give the Irish bar...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

This was easily the biggest mistake I've made! Stayed here for a few nights with my boyfriend. The staff were rude, full of atitude (even the 50 odd year old man) and didn't look like or seem they want to be there! The music was blaring at all hours, even when they didn't have any customers down stairs and even on a Monday night! The rooms were disgusting... We even had to ask for fresh towels and loo roll.. The cups they supplied for 'room refreshments' were caked in grease and dust. The mattress was a cheap and nasty old fashioned piece and so uncomfortable. We didn't even have a quilt just a 'hospital sheet' and a granny throw.. no quilt!!!!! There was holes and burns in the curtains and nets, the room was freezing and the shower was a task to turn on! The breakfast was a disgrace! We had to ask for our milk and orange juice, and the plate was just covered in beans and mushrooms, and there was no-one to be seen to ask for a fresh drink... the only thing you could have was a small selection of cereals or a full english.. if you were a veggie or fancied something a little different there was no choice! Overall a very bad experience! I do not recommend this to any body!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hannah C

Travelers are raving about these Tenby hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed in Normandie over Easter break. I have booked the hotel mainly because if its superb location. You cannot get any closer to all the shops and restaurants in Tenby.
I was pleasantly surprised with rooms!! I didn't expect much from pub accommodation, but I got to say it definitely exceeded my expectations. Room are very spacious and clean, dated decor which not necessary such a bad thing. Absolutely great food!! We even heard some people in town talking about the lovely meal they had in normandie!!
Any cons? Yes, its not a family place. Place indeed turns into a very lively place at night, even Sunday. However we just enjoyed drinks downstairs with everyone else. Overall, don't expect to have a quiet, early night in when you are staying in a pub :) we will definitely come back again!

• Stayed April 2012
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

While the Normandie is very central and convenient, being located above a pub/night club makes it extremely loud. Things didn't quiet down until at least 1AM, and we had a terrible night's sleep. The rooms themselves were fairly run-down (cracked plaster, mould in the bathroom, dingy carpet), and breakfast was a poor quality full English. With so many B&Bs in Tenby, not sure why anyone would stay at the Normandie. . . wish I had read the reviews beforehand.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
worcestershire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights which was the biggest mistake of our lives. We did not know that on a weekend it turns into a night club with bouncers on the door,the music was blearing out till 3am which was deafening, the bed was so uncomfortable as it was sagging in the middle and it was an old fashioned spring mattress that was worn out,all we had was a sheet and blanket on the bed (no quilt). When we went down for breakfast there wasn't a large selection ,and if you didn't want a full english there was no alternative. Overall I found it to be terrible ,and I would never recommend it to any body.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank tinianne
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Me and my girlfriend booked the Normandie for a three night stay, and I am glad we didn't listen to any of the reviews - this place was great! Set right within the town, the shops are literally two minutes walk in any direction; toy shops, chip shop, and the all important sweet shops were all within (very) easy reach. The smaller beach which launches the boat to Caldey Island was just a bit further on, and about another five minutes and you'd be on the main beach with the iconic Tenby harbour in full view. The train station was also only 5 or so minutes away, which was perfect for us because we didn't have any transport.

The food at The Normandie was brilliant! Very filling and great quality! The staff were all very friendly, and although I did have to wait at an empty bar a few times due to no-one being there, they were very prompt and helpful otherwise.

Breakfast is included in the price of the room, and I would urge everyone to take full advantage! It was huge, bigger than the one we paid £5 for on our last day due to an early check-out, and it tasted great too.

The bar was pretty quiet, and so as I mentioned, there were some occasions where staff were nowhere to be seen, but this was because we didn't stay during season - Tenby itself was pretty quiet on the whole.

The room was massive! It was by far the biggest room I have ever stayed in. Lovely and warm with an easy to use radiator to regulate the heat and two windows you could open if it got too hot. There was a problem with our shower being too hot but a member of staff came round on the first day of our stay to ask if everything was ok with the rooms and we asked him to help and he sorted it out for us there and then.

All in all, a lovely hotel with a very homely atmosphere to the rooms and what I would imagine a bustling ambience to the bar downstairs in season. Lovely food, friendly staff, huge rooms and prime location. Excellent hotel - we would definitely return!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor. We noticed that each floor only has two rooms each, whereas the third fl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

We booked the normandie b&b without checking any reviews, and I'm glad I did. We were shown up to our room, which had been accommodated to fit three adults, and it was huge! The decor was of high standards and by far exceeds any other b&b in Tenby that I've stayed in. The manager was very friendly and did everything to make our stay comfy and enjoyable. We ate our evening meal in the bar, which was huge, really tasty and amazing value for money. We also had a gorgeous full cooked breakfast the next morning, and were allowed to keep the room until 1, which was brill! We will definitely stay in the normandie inn again as it was extremely friendly, accommodating and value for money.

• Stayed February 2012