“Excellent Value for money” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Belgrave Hotel

The Belgrave Hotel
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Tenby
Redruth, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

We would advise people not to ake any notice of the complainers. We nearly did and would have missed a great 5 days visit. The staff were friendly, the room was warm, clean and comfortable and the food was great. We would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Barnsley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

Warm welcome, rooms large and well equipped. Food excellent, home cooked, good selection for all meals. Bar well stocked at reasonable prices. Malcolm, the owner, always on hand to ensure everyone enjoyed their stay along with his team of efficient staff.

• Stayed February 2011
IB Varadero
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stopped here for 5 days from 7/2/2011. The hotel staff were absolutely brilliant. Could not do enough for you. The food was very good and the entertainment was fair to good.
I would not have any reservations in recommending this hotel. On the coach trip that we were on there was 6 of us who had booked together and we have stated that we will be going back.
The only negative was that it was a bit dated but i understand that renovations are ongoing.

• Stayed February 2011
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Belgrave recently and, I must admit, were a little wary after reading the reviews. However, we thoroughly enjoyed our break and found the hotel to be in a great position, very clean, the food was very good and the majority of the staff extremely friendly and helpful, particularly the dining room staff. The one exception and this is where I have to agree with a previous reviewer, was the miserable woman behind the bar and the reception. As a major point of contact and initial impression of the hotel, she lets the Belgrave down badly. No eye contact, no conversation and no manners either, I'm afraid she certainly would not remain on my payroll! The other lady behind the bar and the other receptionist were friendly and pleasant so it can't be the pressure of the job. Sadly, this didn't make us feel inclined to visit the bar too often and I do not think we were alone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kargo1340
Cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

I booked this hotel based on a "Special" midweek break that I found on their website. As it was half term, the rates were more than reasonable which included dinner, bed and breakfast. The location overlooked the beach and was the main reason for our family break of two nights. On arrival, we were greeted (I use this word extremely loosely), by a receptionist, Lesley, who was less than impervious to raising a smile, please or thank you. Very rude. The rooms are very, very old fashioned, but bedding and carpets were clean. We stayed in a family room consisting of one double and two single beds. The heating in the room was absolutlely unbearable and nobody slept for two nights due to the heat. I read a review where someone else complained of the same. The radiator was off and the window was open for the whole duration. In the bar we received bottles of pop that were dirty and obviously straight from the cellar. All glasses had lipstick stains around the rim and I was getting fed up of asking for new glasses. This rate of poor hygiene is disgusting. The girls in the dining room were absolutely fantastic and made the stay. They were very amenable and helpful. I had drinks delivered to the table by ignorant Lesley and yet again had to send them back due to the disgusting state of the glasses. The waitress was great and apologetic. The food quality is good and value for money, especially for a family. On the 2nd evening we had a 5 course meal and there was always a small choice on the menu. here is a car park about 50 yards and very reasonable rates. The hotel has a car park for about 5 cars only. On checking out, I met Lesley on reception. Again very rude, no eye contact and to be frank if she was on my payroll I would have sacked her. She is the main point of contact for guests arriving and a smile pays dividends, please and thank you's cost nothing. Sorry, The Belgrave, but there is a lot of competition in Tenby so what makes you a stay above the rest? Needless to say, I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CantWait4Hol
thebelgravehotel, General Manager at The Belgrave Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2010
Dear Sir/ Madame
Thank you for your comments I am disappointed that we were unable to make your holiday an enjoyable one. As I have written in previous review responses I can only agree with you that the decoration in some of the bedrooms is a bit dated, this is an issue that is being dealt with as part of a long term refurbishment plan in the hotel.
As for the condition of the glasses from the bar, I can only apologise to yourselves on behalf of the hotel but also thank you for bringing it to my attention, it has been investigated and there should be no future incidents of anything other that a clean and shiny glasses coming for the bar.
Your experience at reception from your comments falls far below our usual standard of customer care and I shall be investigating that matter further as I will also investigate the heating system in the bedrooms.
On a brighter note I shall pass on your positive comments to the dinning staff
If you wish to discuss this matter or any other please contact me Mr Max Thomas on 01834 842377 or via email at info@thebelgravehotel.co.uk. Thank you again for your comments.
Max Thomas
Assistant Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

We booked this hotel for a short 2night stay during the Oct 2010 shool holidays. There was myself, wife and 4yr old son.

The hotel had friendly helpful staff in both the dining room and bar. There may be a slight update to the bar area and entertainment room required but I wouldn't say we're talking an overdue make over.

The breakfast and evening meals were excellent, the breakfast you had the choice of unlimited cereals, fruit juices, and prunes and grapefruit segments. Then you had the full Welsh breakfast...choice of eggs (scrambled, poached, fried or boiled) plus sausage, bacon, beans/tomatoes and fried bread. If you didn't want the fried bread (as my wife didn't) you got extra bacon or sausage. With this you got rack of toast.....plus the choice of pot of coffee or tea. When we stayed we were lucky to be somehow in the middle of their Xmas and New Year celebration..don't know if this a weekly thing, or a rehersal for Xmas but we enjoyed the evening meal on the 1st night. Choice of 3 starters, 3 main courses (including a fish dish) plus the accompanying selection of veg and numerous deserts. There was also a separate child's menu, which our son had the chicken nuggets....and these were PROPER nuggets, not the frozen bagged fast food chain type. Our 2nd night was a gala 6..yes SIX...course dinner and excellent choices yet again....and due to the amount of guests and the choices on offer you could expect not as good quality and service.....how wrong you could be, we received 100% service and 100% food.

The hotel also had evening entertainment which because of the high gusts of winds outside and having a 4yr old boy with us was excellent, both nights entertainment (singers) were very professional and good...putting those so called X Factor finalists to shame!

All in all we enjoyed our time at the hotel and would recommend it to anyone and will be going back again soon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Ace S
barnsley south yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

We have just returned from our coaching holiday at the Belgrave , to our home in Sheffield The Hotel owner was friendly and polite, and even waved us off every morning when we went on our trips!! Our bedroom was clean and comfortable, and our friends had a sea view room which was also lovely. The Staff were friendly and efficient. All meals were good served on hot plates and the five course Gala dinner could not be faulted! The entertainment was varied, comedy, singing, and dancing. The night Billy G was on was hilarious!

The coach driver was knowledgable and knew the area well. We went out every day, and we feel we had value for money, and we are going to book again for next year

• Stayed October 2010