“A wonderful little hotel gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Heywood Spa Hotel

Heywood Spa Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Tenby
Derby, United Kingdom
“A wonderful little hotel gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just returned from our second stay and had a lovely long weekend at a Hotel that maintains standards of care, service and hospitality that are, alas, so lacking in many modern hotels. If you enjoy hotels that are all glass, glitz and self service, then Heywood Mount is probably not for you, however if you like good old fashioned charm and real service with a smile you won't go wrong here! The rooms are very comfortable, immaculately clean and very well equipped with loads of wardrobe, drawer and cupboard space. Bathrooms are spotless with sumptious soft towels and always piping hot water. Eating at this hotel is a real pleasure with outstanding cuisine and best of all for me was the joy of ordering breakfast and having it served at the table by charming attentative staff. No wandering about three of four times serving yourself or standing over inefficient toasters whilst your breakfast is going cold. What bliss!
The hotel also boasts a large free car park a swimming pool, sauna, Gym and jaccuzi which we didn't use, so I can't comment except to say they looked impressive. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend unreservedly.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are on the ground floor with balcony, table and chairs with access to large lawned a...
1 Thank mikelauro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was treated to 2 nights in this fabulous hotel for my 50th birthday. I stayed here on the 25th and 26th of October with other members of my family.
It is a lovely location. The hotel is cosy and beautifully clean, like home from home.
The staff were all very helpful and professional. The food was very good.
A taxi into the centre of Tendy was only three pounds fifty and with you in 5 mins. Therefore we did not have to think about parking and we could have a glass of wine or two.!
My only regret is that I did not have more than 2 nights. Im planning on going back for a longer stay in the summer.

Room Tip: we stayed in a executive room which were bright and there is a lovely seating area outside to relax.
1 Thank jacquimichelle
Lampeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My hubby & I just returned from 2 night KGB deal 23 Oct. We stayed in an executive room and ate in the restaurant on the 2 nights. The dinners and breakfasts were superb and the service friendly and efficient. We used the spa facilities on 2 occasions and we were the only 2 using it so found it totally relaxing. The receptionist was extremely pleasant and helpful, even when my husband thought he had lost his key in the Spa she provided him with another key. He later found it in his shoe, so we shared a good laugh about that. Our cold water tap did not work, but it was no big deal as we just asked the restaurant staff if we could take the remainder of our litre of water given to us free each night back to our room. We kept it in the fridge and only needed to use it when we cleaned our teeth. There was always plenty of hot water during our stay. The bedroom was very spacious and beds very comfortable. This is our second visit to Heywood Mount and we will definitely return since we both felt pampered and relaxed on departing from this hotel. Thank you to all the staff making our stay a pleasant one. Pat & Arthur Davies

Room Tip: Recommend you dine in the restaurant for dinner.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Came to visit the Heywood Mount after buying a deal on KJB... Where do I start?

Positives first...

The location is lovely, not too far from Tenby town (an enjoyable walk) the gentleman who deals with the phone calls and bookings is very lovely and very accommodating. The sauna and spar room is ok (ish) and the hotel was relatively quiet.

Now the bad points..

Arrived to a receptionist who looked like she would rather be anywhere else in the world. Got told no details of breakfast, hotel details etc. Only told (rather rudely) that if we wanted a table for dinner we would have had to have booked by 4.30pm, but she would 'let us off' this time (we arrived at 5pm). Needless to say we passed on the offer!

Next the room.. We payed for an executive room.. However I dread to think what the standard rooms were like. The room was dated and stuffy. However a lovely balcony outside did help.. (Until we got out there). The decking was washed out and rotted, the metal ballads were peeling and in desperate need of painting,in general, the whole feel was just run down and not very well cared for.

Breakfast was OK.. Not served in the greatest fashion or location, but it sufficed.

The worst thing to happen however was on leaving day.. I had taken a shower, my husband was led on the bed... I was drying my hair..Both of us in underwear.. To have a gentleman open the door and walk in the room! Mortified does not even come close!!!! Reception had given out another key and told the guy the room was vacated and ready, for him to use... I have never in my entire life been so embarrassed or felt so humiliated. Rang reception to ask what an earth had happened and received a hurried 'um I thought it was vacated, sorry' and the phone put down!

Has to be, to date, the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. The worse thing about it is this hotel publicly all over the place displays ratings of 8.5 for service and cleanliness...

I must have been staying somewhere else....

My advice... Look somewhere else.. Tenby is full of lovely B and B's... And I doubt you would have such a bad service anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank stephgraeme
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Nice location a 15 minute walk from the town, offering spacious rooms, comfortable beds and friendly and professional service. Excellent restaurant for dinner and breakfast, the beef and the pork are a great example of well looked after local produce. Nice building complete with a reading room, swimming pool ( small, indoor) and squeaky floorboards.

Room Tip: No elevators, so if stairs are a problem you'll need ground floor.
Chester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

First impression of the hotel was that it was pleasant and comfortable. Hayley on reception was exceptional in care and attention to detail and gave me an upgraded room. Special care had been taken to prevent any perfumed chemicals being used in my room and I was assured that the information on my dietary needs had been received and acted upon.The room seemed comfortable for my needs. Clean and the bed and thick curtains exceptional. As soon as I went to wash my hands I discovered that the cold tap did not work and bits were hanging off it. Hot watedr was boiling hot. I phoned reception. The phone did not connect to reception and I am good with electricals. I reported both these faults to Hayley. She had to get the man to see to these the next day and put them in 'the book'. At dinner there was only one adjusted starter that I could have and I had this for 2 nights. For dessert it was the fruit from breakfast or one flavour of sorbet. The main course was ok though. Same the next night. It was embarassing making a big fuss. I was given non dairy margerine on the first morning and things looked up until I discovered it was all congealed and 9 months out of date.The fuss paid off and on the third night I was given a suitable starter and specially made dessert. Not rocket science to prepare with 3 weeks notice is it? Other hotels take me in their stride. The discussions were very public and embarassing for me as they drew attention to my disability.. Meanwhile I came back next day to the tap still not working. I complained to reception but she knew nothing about it. The manager, Adrian, informed me in the evening that a new tap had to be sought. It finally got mended on the last day.Lots of teeth cleaning and cup washing in the bath. The phone never got mended (despite two reminders) so I reported my concerns at reception as I left. This male receptionist was abrupt and told me that he had tested my hot bath tap and found it to be working fine. No surprise to me as it was the basin cold tap that was at fault!! As for the telephone, it never got mended and so I could never contact reception or my relatives in another room. Not 4 star service. But what rankled most was the attitude to complaints. Basically 'I am sorry you feel this way but we do not agree and will not upgrade our communication skills'. It appeared to me that the most junior staff were desperate to improve service. Sophie, our waitress was very concerned to make things right food wise but seemed to be thwarted at every turn. The hotel had no still mineral water or peas while we were there. Odd things to run out of although each table had a mineral water bottle full of tap water. The lady on reception gave me one of these to replace my tap telling me that it was the same mineral water supplied on all the tables at dinner.. As they had none in the hotel it could not have been! Such a shame that such keen staff are hampered by management who do not seem to listen and do not take constructive critisism. This 'book' sounds interesting. I would also be interested to know whether the next occupant of room 208 manages to get the phone repaired. They should be consoled that it is 'in the book'! A real mixed bag but I laughed about all the fiascos and returned refreshed nevertheless. I had taken advantage of special offer prices but had I paid the full amount i would have been very annoyed indeed. This hotel has the makings of being lovely. Just sort out some systems for shopping, communication, complaints handling and repairs and all should be well.

Room Tip: Mine was an upgrade to an executive room. A relative was initially placed in a standard room and it...
1 Thank SusanBurt
Adrian A, Owner at Heywood Spa Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I must admit myself and the entire hotel team were waiting for this guest to review and I as I thought I have to clear a few points up. I understand that we are never, as hard as we try going to please every guest. But what we aim to do is provide quality accommodation, delicious food and fabulous service for a great value price that has no seasonal variation and includes everything.

I and my team work very hard to adhere to guests requests and try and ensure their satisfaction. As requested this guests room was cleaned with no chemical cleaners and the kitchen observed their dietary requirements of; no diary, grapefruit, wheat, chocolate & citrus fruits. The lady never once booked dinner but chose to just walk in? Had a reservation been made we would have been only too happy to help. As we did at your request take all the candles out of the dining room because they too we on your list and I am sorry the sorbet made you feel unwell!

In relation to the hot water tap, again I am sorry it is hot? The cold water tap did in fact work just fine as did the phone in your room which you failed to mention you were using incorrectly as pointed out by my receptionist when you door lock broke. Sorry that was because the card was being used incorrectly by the guest so clearly another fault of the hotel!

The hotel did not have any 250ml bottles of still water but we did have 1ltr bottles which in light of your inability to master the complexities of a mixer tap we gave you free of charge, again no mention of thanks?

I am sorry but when guests can't work a tap, master a room phone, don't book dinner and have a million allergies then moan that they can't have anything I draw the line. We work very very hard to try and keep our valued guests happy.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Good, quiet location but not walking distance from the beach. We had a corner room on the first floor with a small balcony. The room is a decent size, furniture adequate, nothing exceptional. Surprised at the minute amount of toiletries provided considering we are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids. Breakfast was adequate. The pool and jacuzzi were a nice touch which the kids enjoyed immensely.
If rates are reasonable then we will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Enjoyed our room with balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenby
Atlantic Hotel
St Brides Spa Hotel
St Brides Spa Hotel
#1 of 5 in Saundersfoot
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,074 reviews

Been to Heywood Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!