“Loved it”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Nantyglo, South Wales
“Loved it”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed for one night dinner, bed and breakfast. We stayed in the William Allen room and cant fault it. Its a four poster deluxe with double jacuzzi bath and balcony overlooking the front of the hotel. Very well decorated and spotlessly clean. Air conditioning in the room which looked like a very new unit, beautiful matching furniture, can not fault the room. We have paid alot more money for supposedly 5 star hotels and have not had a better room. We used the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna and all were nice and clean, a little chilly but not enough to spoil it, and we were the only ones in there. Dinner was lovely, very tasty and well presented. You have to pay a small amount extra if you want fillet steak and a couple of other dishes but not a problem and definately value for money. Breakfast again was also very tasty, had the fully english and very well cooked and not swimming in grease. Staff in the restaurant were the same as for breakfast, and the young girl and lad were very very pleasant and attentive, the head waiter perhaps not so really felt he didnt want to be there, which is a shame because everyone else was so pleasant. Would definately stay again and great value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suethegrouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Barnet, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Hotel for a family party and we really enjoyed our stay. I was very impressed with the welcome we recieved. Our room was huge (no 5) and despite being just off the reception, we were not disturbed by any noise as you might expect. The hotel was spotless, food delicious and staff lovely. The beach and town centre is an easy 15/20 min walk away.

1 Thank Globe_Trotter_Ali
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We have just returned from a weekend break at Heywood Mount. The Hotel is not recognisable from the picture posted here. This is a shot of the back garden but it is currently filled with a Marquee used for weddings.There are no grounds to walk in you cannot walk around the Hotel. ! The rooms in the original part of the house are tired and dated, not worthy of a four star grading. One of the windows in the room would not open, it became quite stuffy when it was warm, although there was a very old fashioned air conditioning unit on the wall. We had a view of the Marquee, Welsh Hills(they were beautiful!) and a 1960's housing estate! The spa suite is basic but clean, the pool is a little on the chilly side the jacuzzi too. Apparently the machines in the gym were not all working, although I did not use the gym. The rooms were clean and the bathroom fairly modern although you could not have a soak in the bath as it was very small, only top or bottom half would fit under the water not a relaxing experience!! The girls waitressing were fantastic, really freindly, but the restaurant manager seemd to be under a lot of pressure, he did not have the time to crack a smile. The food is good, but breakfast is not served as a buffet, waitress service only, however a nice menu to choose from. The Hotel lacks the theatre or Wow factor you might expect for a Four Star Hotel, it is very 'ordinary'. My daughter thought we had driven into an old people's home when we arrived. Not sure why it so so expensive certainly not value for money, the staff make it, but I am sure they are not paid over the odds... I would not stay here again, try the Esplanade in Tenby the Hotels look just as good and you are in the town with seaviews, and less expensive.

Room Tip: Book a room in the new part of the hotel they all have a balcony, which is nice but the view will b...
2 Thank pinkranger65
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed July 13, 2011

i stayed from july 8 till july 12 in heywood mount. i stayed in a family room and meet some friends there that stayed in a four poster room. I loved this hotel, all the staff were very helpful. The hotel was spotless, housekeeping does a great job. It was a lovely room spacious as their was myself and 3 teenagers. my friends 4 poster room was fabulous. the food and breakfast was excellent. i cant wait to go back

Pembrokeshire
Reviewed June 27, 2011

So upon check in I was really pleased with the room, TV was a bit dated but the room was clean and so was the hotel in general. We were dissapointed that the bed was just just 2 singles put together. Spa area was lovely. Pool was great and it was all clean. We decided to eat at the hotel and the waitresses were fab- very helpful. Food was extremely dissapointing considering what you pay! Homemade chips were not homemade! Most were hard. Menu wasn't really suitabel for children either. I wouldn't ever say the food was 4* standard. Then, the breakfast. Again service was good and girls were helpful but I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw my English B/fast!! One slice of bacon, one sausage and one egg. That was a joke! Considering what you pay, you expect ALOT more! I've had better b/fasts at 2 star hotels! Room service was good but on the second night we ate away from the hotel. We saved money and didnt go hungry as we enjoyed the food. Overall this place is hugely overpriced for what you get at present. Sort out the b/fasts and have a good priced menu which is well cooked and things would maybe have been a little more positive for us. When Im paying £115.00 per night, i expect alot more than I got.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alex5253
HeywoodMount, General Manager at Heywood Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thank you for your review & I am disappointed that you felt £115 was too much money for a Classic double bedroom for 2 people. Some of our beds are zip & link allowing hotels to transform King size double beds into two 6ft single beds for twin rooms and are industry standard.

I do wonder if you ate in our restaurant as we don’t advertise Homemade chips, but thick cut chips and the dedicated Childs menu is excellent, which like the adult menu is all fresh & using only local produce.

Our English breakfasts includes: Thick cut bacon, sausage, hash brown, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans & egg. In addition we also offer on our breakfast menu the following; A selection of teas & coffees, mineral water, fruit juices, cereals, fruit platters, pastries & croissants, Yoghurts & fresh breads, full English breakfast & full Welsh breakfast, selection of fresh fish, Ham & Cheese Bagels, Eggs Benedict & toast.

The hotel is not overpriced as the cost of accommodation with the full breakfast menu also includes free parking, use of the indoor leisure suite, Wi-Fi access, 24 hr professional staff should you require us all for just £57.50 per person.

Dinner is just £20 per resident, please visit our website and judge for yourself. We have been a 4 star hotel for over a decade and work very hard to maintain this standard thank you.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed at heywood Mount for a couple of nights for our honeymoon.
On arrival we were shown to our 4 poster bedroom. The room was lovely, but very dark and it overlooked the carpark and I have to say I was disappointed. We had a walk around the hotel and noticed that a lot of the rooms had balconies. I asked the receptionist if they had any rooms we could move to and she was extremely helpful and showed us the other 4 poster room which was much lighter and had a balcony, so we very happily changed rooms. The receptionist warned us that the extractor for the hotel kitchen was directly outside the bedroom and that it could be a bit noisy. It did make a noise and you could hear the kitchen staff chatting, but it didn't bother us too much. Why they have put the best room in the hotel above the kitchen is a mystery to me though. I found the bed too hard, but my husband thought it was fine and he had no trouble sleeping.

I could start moaning about some of the decor in the hotel but that would just be nit picking. The staff at the hotel more than made up for any snags they were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble and the food was absolutely gorgeous.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Stratford Upon Avon- UK
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from a 5 day break at Heywood Mount. The four poster room was excellent however there were some areas that needed attention in relation to the Hotel.

1: Breakfast too slow and not enough staff.
2: Meals not always written down and thus food not served in the right order
3: Suggest a buffet style breakfast with waitress service for cooked breakfast and drinks, this will speed up the service.
4: Evening meals again very slow however food was excellent.
5: Spa facilities just needed some attention and cleaning up ie: masking tape on the windows and the sauna dirty. Also there were no chairs to relax in or pegs to hang robes on if left on the floor they got wet!!
6: Bedrooms clean but no attention to detail ie: curtains that needed to be rehung as hooks broken, nets that needed to be washed.
7: Beds very comfortable and great to have a jacuzzi in the bathroom.

Overall we had a great time and throroughly enjoyed our stay would recommend the four poster bedrooms.

Recommend if staying in Tenby to do the costal walk from Saundersfoot to Tenby 4.5 miles but extremely hard going but well worth it

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank busydill113
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenby
Broadmead Boutique B&B
#11 of 23 in Tenby
St Brides Spa Hotel
St Brides Spa Hotel
#1 of 5 in Saundersfoot

Been to Heywood Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!