“Quick Service but great food!”
Review of Deshi Spice - CLOSED

Deshi Spice
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Went there last Saturday and enjoyed it.
We arrived at 7 o clock and were excited to sit down and chill out eating our favourite type of food.
The resturaunt wasn't that busy but there were a lot of people calling in asking for takeaways.
Two other couples arrived and ordered at the same time as us.
My partner asked after reading reviews on here 'Do they accept card?' and we were told it was cash only so whilst I looked at the menu, he had to go and draw some money out. I think it would be a lot easier if they looked into getting a card machine.
Whilst he was gone, I was asked twice if I would like to order my meal now which was annoying as they could see that there was only me.
As soon as my partner sat down, he asked us again 'Do you want to order your food? and we said No not yet and then he asked if we would like some poppadoms whilst we choose, which we did.
We ordered our food and was just about to start eating our poppadoms and our starter came out ! To me, it was very quick and they should have tried to give us a bit of time to eat our poppadoms first.
No sooner had I finished my starter, it got whisked away and FIVE minutes later, our main came out!! I was getting a bit peeved as I would have liked a break before my main.
However, the food was delicious and we enjoyed every bit of it!
The waiters were very hospitable and were asking if everything was okay all the time, but they were obviously a bit bored as they were watching our every move which made us feel a little bit uneasy.
By the time we had finished our main, the two couples who came in at the same time as us had eaten. paid and gone out.
The bill was very reasonably priced and we left a tip for them.
However, when we got out, we looked at the time and it was only 7.25pm !!! We had only been in there 25 minutes and had had poppadoms, starter, main and paid for it
Overall, it was good quality food but they need to allow their customers to have a bit of breathing space and not be as quick to get us out!

There are newer reviews for Deshi Spice

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Really fancied food from here, menu looked good, food smelt good when you walked past outside.
We had had a busy day, so thought we'd get a take away delivered to our holiday caravan.
When food arrived one of the dishes was incorrect (something we didn't like and tooo spicy) We didn't phone to tell them as it had taken 1 hour in the 1st place. Poppadums were not crunchy, chutney tray was watered down as were the main courses. Not the best.

1  Thank frostysnowflake
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This has got to be the worst Indian restaurant anywhere in England, I wish I had read the reviews prior to going. The restaurant is downstairs and can’t be seen prior to entering, when you do get in you are quickly seated in what resembles a grotty school canteen, if I had seen the interior before I would not have gone in. We thought we may as well give it a go as we had come this far, we ordered our meals,popadoms and pickles, starter and main, the popadoms and pickles arrived very quickly and I was amazed at the soggy and burnt popadoms ? the pickle tray beggerd belief, they were so thinned down it was more like warm tea than pickles, we complained and were given lime pickles free of charge which were obviously out of date and contained drippings of yougurt,rice and old soggy bits of popadoms as if they had seen many prior customers ,I complained again and asked to cancel the rest of the meal as we would like to leave now ! The owner came and asked what the problem was, I informed him and he became quite cross, we just got up and paid for the drinks and left. I strongly recommend that you stay away from this establishment.

4  Thank stephen h
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We decided to go to the Deshi Spice as we had been there a couple of years before and remembered the food being decent enough. I think it was under a different name the last time we went there though.

On entering the place you will notice straight away that the lighting and the paintwork is very bright and maybe needs toning down. To be frank, the overall look of the place is a tad odd.

We ordered a bottle of house wine, a Chicken Vindaloo, Lamb Rogan Josh and some rice. When the meals arrived, the waiter just plonked them unceremoniously which we both thought was a bit odd. Just for reference the waiter was an Asian chap with glasses.

The wine was ok and both meals were quite nice. Nothing to complain about there and I have to give credit where credit due. In fact the Vindaloo was basically nice and hot! Unlike a lot of Indian Restaurants these days, the Chef at the Deshi Spice is not afraid to make a hot Vindaloo.

After the meal we asked bill which was brought to us by a pleasant young waiter. I placed my Credit Card on the table in readiness to pay, and then waiter with glasses came to the table and abruptly said “Cash Only”. Ok we may have forgiven the first bout of rudeness but not the second. There may well have been a sign on the way in to the restaurant stating “Cash Only”, but we didn’t see it. Luckily I had enough cash so I settled the bill without leaving a tip and left the restaurant never to return. The only tip I will leave is “Sack the chap in the glasses”.

Subsequently I have read a few reviews on trip advisor which didn’t seem so favourable. If I had read them beforehand I would not have taken my wife there and in retrospect we should have gone to the “Bay of Bengal”. Even if the food was average, you won’t beat the view.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Well, we decided to have an indian from here as it delivered to you, i think this is the only reason this pathetic excuse for an indian is still going, but on arrival i just wish we hadnt bothered, to begin with the onion bahjees came as 4 small ones and tasted like the packet ones you get from a supermarket, not at all authentic, we had plain naan, rather than the garlic naan i ordered and paid for. I had a chicken pathia and my boyfriend had a chicken balti, it all smelt very microwave meal like, i tasted my pathia and it tasted like some cheap chicken tikka, very tomatoy and mild and not at all like what a pathia is meant to taste like, my boyfriends balti tasted exactly the same, and that again, means nothing like an actual balti, we literally couldnt eat it, I wasted £28 on that rubbish, We had a few mouthfuls and chucked it in the bin, wish id just gone and got a supermarket indian, would have tasted just as revolting for less than half the price, The chicken was completely tasteless as well as lacking any texture, it just looked and tasted like very processed rubber 'chicken', I dread to think what it might actually have been. It has made me truly appreciate our local indians now. Absolutely vile, this place has put us off ever buying an indian away from home again, just incase. This place doesn't even deserve a rating of 1/5, my boyfriend can pretty much eat anything as he is not at all fussy but even he couldn't eat this. We read the reviews on here before ordering and thought we'd risk it as there was a couple of good ones but all I can say is I hope no one else makes that mistake and listens to the ones saying how awful it is, don't let it ruin your night, I was left starving and out of pocket....if this is your only choice of indian, go to the chippy instead!

7  Thank Emd83