“Brilliant! ”

Ranked #13 of 125 Restaurants in Tenby
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Firstly we walked in having not booked a table although booking is advised. As we walked in we were greeted by a man I assume was the owner, he was very friendly and polite and informed us that a table would become available in a short while. He handed us a couple of menus and invited us to wait in the bar area down stairs until a table became available. After approximately a 15 minute wait the same man came and got us and walked us to a table. The decor was oldy worldy and was very well suited to the tudor exterior. I noticed a lot of people complaining about the lighting on here but where we were sat the lighting was perfect. Most importantly the food was of excellent quality, tasted fantastic and the portions were brilliant. We started off with sun dried tomato bread and butter which was a very tasty and must have been complimentary as it wasn't included in our bill. The main courses were superb and full of flavour. Although the prices are a little more pricey than the majority of restaurants in Tenby you can't argue it's well worth the extra few quid. We will definitely dine here again on a return to Tenby!

1  Thank Ryan J
There are newer reviews for Plantagenet House

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Love this restaurant- food is amazingly good, atmosphere so relaxed, decor eclectic with subdued lighting

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Firstly the restaurant itself is very romantic and cosy, it has beamed ceilings and log fires which make it a fabulous setting for an intimate meal.
The service was polite but I have to say my wife and I felt like we were being rushed as tables were prepared around us for the evening customers.
We both ordered steak medallions with peppercorn sauce and fries. The food was very disappointing and on a par with ordinary chain pub grub. The vinegar bottle was so ineffective it drenched my food ruining the peppercorn sauce.
We paid and left very disappointed as a previous visit a few years previously was superb.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

On arrival we were shown to our table which was the top table to the left of the entrance. The décor was ‘olde worlde’, well fitting with the Tudor Merchant house in the same lane. A few minutes later a gentleman welcomed us to the restaurant. We were shown the menu but with only one candle on the table and a very dim light behind us it was not that easy to see. We did mention this but was told something about shortage of candles.
I ordered the duck breast starter while the others ordered King Scallops. I was disappointed when the duck arrived, it wasn’t what I expected. The others enjoyed their scallops. For the main course I ordered the Hake Steak Curry & biryani with prawns plus a bhaji. This meal was good, plenty of flavour. Two of our group had Lemon Sole. Unfortunately they had trouble trying to separate the flesh from bone as there was insufficient light to see properly. They thought due to the lack of lighting the restaurant would have offered to remove the bone for them. Other minor things, as well as the lack of light, did not make this an enjoyable meal. Plates being removed before everyone had finished and other tables being offered bread but not our table, (I was told this as I had my back to the main restaurant and did not see it). I think the final straw was when we asked for the tip to be added to the bill as we were paying by credit card and being told we couldn’t as it was against HMRC rules. Strange as I’ve being doing that for a long time.
Overall it's overpriced for what it was and not a restaurant I would return to if I was in Tenby again.
I did try and check out the menus on their website, on my return home, but found they were still 2013 menus.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Overall disappointed with this restaurant. We had eaten there two weeks previously, when in the area for a wedding and returned on the basis of that experience when on holiday with friends. Its unique surroundings are a great plus point although our pre booked party of nine were squashed into a space that would more happily accommodated six. Some of our starters were colder than they should have been and, not well presented, given the price and reputation of this restaurant. I ordered the Monkfish and was very disappointed. It arrived swimming in what looked like a thick gravy which completely overwhelmed any taste the fish may have had and a cous cous that tasted just like the Ainsley Harriot Packet version that I occasionally buy for home use. Call me picky but if I order from a fish menu I rather expect to be able to taste the fish, and have that complemented by other aspects of the dish. Unusually for me I did complain and the price was deducted from our bill. Others of our party also felt that their meals did not live up to the billing this restaurant receives. We and our wider party of friends ate out quite a lot during our week in Tenby, either together or in smaller groups, and apart from the suroundings this was not the best, although was certainly the most expensive.