“Small but perfectly formed with top food” 4 of 5 bubbles

New Overlander Restaurant & Guest Accommodation
and 1 more site!
New Overlander Restaurant & Guest Accommodation
Ranked #22 of 56 Tenby B&B and Inns
“Small but perfectly formed with top food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Stayed 2 nights during our tour of UK and loved it. Rooms are a bit smallish but we really weren't in it that much anyway. Fantastic friendly hosts & top quality food! Would definitely recommend, we were sad to go!

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank aussipom1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

i ate here with my family and we all enjoyed our meals. i had the chicken stuffed with fetta cheese, it was really nice and mouth wartering. my children had kiddy meals and they enjoyed them also! my wife had scollops and she said that she loved them. will definetly eat here again. a nice family restaurant would and reckonmend it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank James G
Frimley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

We visited the Overlander for an evening meal, and were very pleasantly impressed with the quality of the food. Having lived in coastal France for many years, we are well aquainted with seafood cooking, and can honestly say that the seafood vol-au-vent was up to the standard of good French cuisine. The stuffed plaice was also excellent, as was the halibut. We've been rather surprised to read some of the negative reviews here; we found the service quite adequate, and the waiting staff were quick to bring whatever we requested.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
DUBLIN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We had the bad luck to pick this place to have dinner when we arrived in Tenby and boy was it a big mistake. The service was terrible and the food was equally awful. We waited 40 minutes for food that was dried up and tasteless and the guy at the counter talked so loud it was unbearable at times. Our kids were bored waiting for their meals and the adult veg portions were pathetic.

Just go somewhere else and save your time and money here as this has to be the worse meal as a family we EVER EVER had.

Room Tip: Keep driving on to Lydstep and eat there .......
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank AMBLESIDE71
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stopped here for an early dinner last night on the recommendation of a friend. On arrival we were pointed, rather than shown, to a table by the young guy with highlights behind the bar. Not a great start, but I'm pretty easy going so a bit of casual service doesn't normally bother me. We were given menus and ordered drinks which arrived promptly. No ice in the soft drinks however. After deciding on our meals we waited for a waiter to take our order. 15 minutes after arrival we were still waiting. My wife called over to the same guy at the bar who replied 'I'll come and take your order in a couple of minutes when we're ready!' We were shocked into silence. After taking our orders the food took a further 30 minutes to arrive, while my 4 year old got increasingly grumpy through hunger. Why it took so long I have no idea. There were only 2 other tables there when we arrived. One of 6 and another of 4. Also my scallops were cold in the middle yet not uncooked, leading me to believe they had been cooked in advance or shop bought before being seared. My wife, mother and daughter had no complaints with their meals however. Another family of 4 that arrived after us waited even longer and when they complained were told that it's because everything is prepared from fresh. Isn't that assumed wherever you eat??? We asked for the dessert menu partially to ensure our table was cleared since we'd been waiting a while. For a decision that took approximately 1 minute it was another 10-15 minutes before our order was taken. We managed this by asking the same waiter as he cleared the table next to us, and he told us he would be back when he finished clearing the table. Having worked as a waiter in my youth I know that if a customer is waiting you prioritise them over clearing a table, particularly if you're not even half full. We were one of 4 or 5 tables at this point. To save time we asked for the bill at the same time as my daughter's dessert, which she loved. Rather than waiting for someone to come and take payment I went and paid at the bar. We left promptly but no-one said goodbye, and it occured to me that at no point had anyone asked if everything was OK or if we'd enjoyed our meals. The guy who served us wasn't overtly rude or anything but just has no idea of the basics of being a waiter. Overall the food was OK, but the service very poor and the waiting times, particularly when so quiet, were unacceptable.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank Alun R
newport
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

We dinned at The Overlander last night, to say that we were under-whemled is an overstatement.
I must state that the food we ordered was good, Cajun Red Snapper (my choice) was excellant, the crab stuffed Plaice was sublime, feta chicken was moist and went down well and my 2 kids thoroughly enjoyed their Gammon, especially as they came with 2 eggs per serving. Special mention must be given to the chips, I suspect they're double cooked, crispy on the outside and fluffy inside, in all honesty, I've not had better.
Unfortunately the excellant food didn't make up for the general impression of the restaurant. We should have taken notice of the lack of customers at 9.00pm on a Saturday night, our party of 5 had no problem getting a table as the only other customers were another family sitting opposite the bar. The waiter showed us to the table at the opposite end of the restaurant and immediately asked what we wanted to drink. I had to ask him to repeat himself as we couldn't hear him over the din of the barman having a very loud conversation with the only other customers in the restaurant - yes, the family at the bar (other end of the premises), we were regailed with stories of his travels to the States despite the family repeatedly telling him they were Canadian, we laughed as he entertained their children with his faux belligerance, bordering upon a poor / very poor impression of Basil Fawlty!! I was suprised to see the barman, who as it later transpired was the owner, drinking pints behind the bar. Not a good impression.
Our drinks arrived promptly but suffered from a pet hate of mine; no ice!!!
Thankfully the Canadian family left before our food arrived so we were spared an more of the owners verbal torture.
Our mains arrived and duely consumed, with a positive verdict although one would question that 2 small florets of brocolli, 1 Tbsp of white cabbage and 5 slices of carrot could be considered as a portion of "seasonal veg" for a grown adult???!!!!
We were encouraged to order from the "very popular" dessert menu. We wish we hadn't. My "Nutty Merange" was at best mediocre. It's advertised as a Hazelnut Merange with icecream and whipped cream with hazelnut sauce and topped with toasted hazelnuts. What I recieved was a plain shop bought merange with ONE small scoop of what appeared to be the poorest quality vanilla icecream smothered with spray cream with chopped nuts thrown at it.
My youngest sons Sundae was similarly disappointing, again shop bought merange nest crumbled of a scoop of the same icecream as I had with spray cream on top in an ordinary wine glass. Poor, very poor.
But however the pièce de résistancewas yet to come, whilst discussing the damp squib that was dessert our party was treated to a stream of profanities from the kitchen, the waiter was aghast, as I walked from the opposite end of the dinning area towards the kitchen door, the culprit (the chef) let rip with another F-word ridden outburst. Our party contained my wife, sister and my kids, the youngest 8yrs old, this certainly is unacceptable behaviour. I remonstrated with him and demanded the bill.
To be honest we paid just to get out of there, on leaving however we bumped into the loud barman who had just returned from walking his 2 dogs, it transpire that he was the owner and by this time he was absolutely stinking drunk. I'd had enough of The Overlander dinning experience by now, fearing what would be next and left my wife to communicate our disappointment. Even now a day later she's not confident he either understood or cared.
Needless to say we won't be going back and would urge others to think twice. It's a shame really, the main courses we had were very good, sadly the desserts were very poor indeed and the staff, especially the chef with Tourettes, really didn't do themselves any favours.
Do yourselves a favour, eat anywhere else!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank NewportWelshjohn
aussie un uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed in The New Overlander for 4 nights in July and we were very impressed with the quality of the rooms and the level of service. It is nice to stay somewhere that gives you a warm welcome and where nothing is too much trouble. From the moment we arrived at this family run hotel we were made to feel welcome. The food in the restaurant was very good but be warned the portions served at breakfast are very generous. We will be telling all our friends about this place and if we are ever in West Wales again we will stay here for sure.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple