“Very Nice hotel with great staff”

and 1 more site!
The Park Hotel Tenby
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Barry, United Kingdom
“Very Nice hotel with great staff”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We (wife & me) stayed here for one night recently & were very impressed by the hotel itself & the staff (Anita was fab...!).
Very nice room with panoramic views across Tenby & bay; tried a few bars in town; Lifeboat, The Bush(near arches) & Coach & Horses - all very friendly with good selection of beers etc.
Our only criticism was of the evening meal: (I had the curry but very little meat/sauce laid over too many oven-chips while my wife had gammon which included not only chips but also a large side-dish of potatoes & peas...?!).
Breakfast was a complete contrast to the evening meal however; it was delicious & spot-on.
We'd definitely recommend The Park though & would return at the earliest opportunity when visiting Tenby.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the sea I believe but it's worth checking this when making a booking.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul209

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I attended my works Christmas party at The Park Hotel Tenby on Saturday and had a great time. I have been to the hotel before as I held my wedding reception there 7 years ago and it was a pleasure to return last night. The food was excellent and welcome cards and name places on the table were a lovely touch. The staff were very friendly and welcoming from the moment you walked through the door. We all felt the evening was excellent value and was enjoyed by everyone. Thank you Park Hotel and I won't leave it 7 years before I return again! X

• Stayed December 2013
traceythomas64
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed her for the weekend at the beginning of November and were very pleased with our stay. Situated on a hill at North Cliff, it is within easy walking distance of the lovely little town with ample shops, pubs and places to visit.

Our room was classed as small, but was big enough with a good size en suite. The room was very warm, despite the story weather outside, with plenty of lighting options and storage.

Breakfast was served at the table, rather than helping yourself to part of it, which was a nice touch and on each table was a 'welcome' card with our names on which was also a lovely thought. Breakfast was plenty, with the usual choices of cereal, toast, fruit juices, full English, various eggs, kippers or any combination of the above and was so filling it kept us going until the evening (apart from one cake!).

On the Saturday we ate our evening meal in the hotel and were amazed at the amount and quality of food. For around £20 each we had a 4 course meal with coffee afterwards. There was a choice of each course. We both had steak for our main, which was beautifully tender and came with salad and veg on the plate then an additional bowl of different veg and potatoes appeared too! For desert I had profiteroles, and it was a full portion in a tall glass. Then came a cheese board!! We weren't just given a few crackers and a bit of cheese - we had a wicker basket full of different crackers and 6 different chunks of cheese to go with them. Unlike most places where you take a few crackers and staff cut off some cheese for you, we were left with the whole lot until we'd had enough. I noticed that the other tables had the same size cheeseboard at the same time. None of the usual taking ours away to give to someone else. Excellent!

The hotel is decorated in a classical style, with lovely bright stripy wall paper, dado rails, wall lights and lots of brass lamps and cushions. I loved it. We were told that it's being refurbished in January. I just hope it isn't going to be spoiled. The bedroom we had was decorated more modern than the public areas. There were a couple of lovely lounges to sit in and a large bar and dance floor area. Of course, in November, the outside pool wasn't an option but it would be lovely in the summer.

My only niggle would be the pillows. I suffer with a bad neck and sleep with one firm pillow. I usually take my own but forgot it on this occasion. One pillow was too low and two were too high so my first night's sleep wasn't a good one. Maybe they could invest in a few firmer ones.

I would certainly recommend this hotel, if you don't mind being on a hill and would definitely use it again if we're ever in Tenby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traceythomas64
dorset
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Advice book this hotelo through booking.com or similar you will save pounds. The hotel when contacted directly would not reduce the rack rate of £58 per person per night, for two nights booking.com the price was £34 per person per night! Saving £96.

Now that is over, the hotel. Very friendly staff, clean, warm, free parking and good value, including hotel bar. No complaints apart from.

Up a hill from Tenby town so if you dont like hills be prepared to get a taxi.

No bottled water in room, for a three* I found this lacking.

Breakfast nothing to write home about, cold toast, average quality sausages and bacon.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed here with friends for just one night, and we did enjoy, although there were just a couple of 'niggles'. As for the situation of the hotel, it really does have the best views in Tenby, and overlooks the harbour, and town. It is a view you never get tired of! We were given room 3 which is beautifully decorated and has recently been re-furbished. Great view from this room. It is also a family room, which has a double (very comfortable) bed, and two singles. Two very nice leather look bucket chairs in the window area, so you can relax and take in the views, which we did! The bathroom was very clean and pleasant, but when I tried to take a shower, it would not work. We had to find someone to sort that out. It worked fine after though. The Park Hotel is a very traditional hotel, quite chintzy in decoration, but it suits the hotel, and is very tastefully done.
The re-furbished rooms however, are nice and modern, and although a contrast to the rest of the hotel, it works well.
Breakfast was excellent. Very fresh and tasty. What I would have liked to see though is a pot of coffee on the table. Although we could have 'top ups', it's not quite the same.
The 'niggles' I talk about, are, the shower issue, and the fact that there are not enough staff in the evening. The staff that were there had to see to everything, the bar, the food, and sort out any issues. When I had tried to phone reception there was continually no answer, but the reason was because they are here, there, and everywhere. We also had a few problems trying to get something to eat because of timings, and minimal staff, but we did manage to get sandwiches later on, and our friend had a cheese board that was one of the best he had.
Unfortunately, our friends TV would not work in their room, and they were informed that it was because of the aerials not picking up signal. Each floor has it's own aerial. As I said just a few niggles, that if were sorted, would make such a difference to what is a very nice hotel.
When we got home I realised that I had left the book I had been reading in the room. I phoned the hotel when I got home, and the receptionist said she would send it to me. True to her word the book arrived this morning, so she must have posted it straight away yesterday, so I am very grateful to her.
We have stayed at this hotel previously and we have enjoyed each stay, so even though there were a few 'niggles' it would not stop us from staying here again.
During the summer months there is also an outdoor pool, in very nice grounds, which could be a real bonus if the weather was good.

Room Tip: Ask for the sea views. You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Spent a weekend at the Park Hotel. As some of the reviews say a little old fashioned, but that said the hotel is very clean. We had the small room which wasn't at all pokey, TV, tea/coffee making facilities and a sea view. Nice breakfast which set us up for the day.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank PorkyGirl
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends on arrival we checked in,went to go to the room to have receptionist coming after us to say she had given us the wrong key so back down to change the key. Rooms were small and very basic, the bathroom was dated and tiny. After unpacking we went down to meet friend,ordered drinks at the bar and the beer was awful, flat as anything. We told the lady behind the bar and her reply was " we are a 3 star hotel at the end of the day not a pub so what do you expect!" That's was not the answer or the attitude that we were expecting. After we had gone out for food in tenby we returned to the room to find that the window had a huge gap down the side of it and the wind was howling through we opened and closed it a few times but the gap remained, I went down to reception to find there was no one available, there was no staff available the place was deserted so we had to put up with it. After a few hours in bed with hardly any sleep as the noise was ridiculous I could hear drip drip drip I got up to look at the window and the rain was pouring in, the window sill was saturated and so was the carpet, I couldn't believe how they let this room out like this. In the morning I went down to reception spoke to the lady who said she would speak to the proprietor and get back to me when we checked out. During check out there was no mention of it so I reminded her so she rang the rude barmaid/receptionist from the previous day to come to speak to me, she came and said she needed to check it so I went back up with her, it was clear to see when she looked there was a gap and the window was still soaking as it was raining still and the wet towels were there from where I had tried drying it during the night were even more wet, she opened and closed the window a few times and the gap remained then she did it again with an almighty slam and it closed, she then turned to me and said abruptly that that was want I needed to do to which I said I don't slam my own windows closed so I certainly not going to slam someone's else is. She then said what did I expect from this I was getting a cheap rate of £90 a night so I couldn't get money off, I'm sorry I don't think that £90 for what I got was cheap! I don't think she realised that I didn't want money off an apology would have been fine, a bit of respect and certainly not the attitude. I think she needs to be sent on some kind of training on how to speak to customers. I would not reccomended this hotel to anyone and definitely not room 214 to be avoided at all costs!!

Room Tip: Don't choose room 214 at any costs
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends