“One night stay”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“One night stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The public areas were ok but think because we were only staying one night we got a poor room. The bed and towels were clean but the bathroom was very grotty. The floor and toilet weren't very clean and the top of the kettle was so dirty my husband complained. The kettle base was last PAT tested in 2007 !!. Breakfast was adequate for me but hubbie still hungry and it had clearly been kept warm for some time. The hotel next door was derelict and the whole area was tired and run down. Shall mark it down as done but not to be repeated.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcfazackerley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

It was with some trepidation that we set off for our weekend away, having read other visitors' reviews and having spoken to friends who had visited previously. However, we have to say - they were wrong ! Yes, the hotel is old, but it has all the character and charm of a victorian hotel, and the staff were absolutely delightful. Nothing was too much effort, and everyone was extremely warm and welcoming. Our room was cosy, but was extremely clean and there were no broken handles, missing lightbulbs, or any indication of poor maintenance/housekeeping. The bed was comfortable, there was plenty of storage and a lovely en-suite which looked to be a fairly new addition with a super power-shower.
The dining room was a bit crowded, but as this hotel caters largely for coach groups, this is to expected. We were given a table to ourselves, and the service was fast, efficient and friendly. The breakfast had been pre-prepared, we believe, as it arrived some 5 seconds after ordering! Having said that, the full english was lovely, and the egg was even soft! Dinner was a pleasant surprise - we had steak and ale pie, which was absolutely delicious! The steak was extremely tender, and it was really nice to have a proper "home made" pie for a change!
The hotel is in a wonderful location, five minutes wander to the Tunnels (well worth a visit), and a five minute stroll to the high street, and a ten minute wander to the harbour. Ilfracombe itself is a lovely little town, and the new theatre is worth a visit, as is the harbour.
There are plenty of pubs and restaurants around, but to be honest, the food in the hotel was more than good enough !
The entertainment at the hotel was rather boisterous, with the volume being somewhat high, but thankfully this stopped at about 11pm each night. I think this was more noticable to us than to other guests, as our room was directly above the ballroom which is used for the evening entertainment.
Lovely little touches in the hotel, like an honesty box for the newspapers, games and books etc in the sun-room.
All in all a lovely hotel in a lovely town. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the entertainment area, as it can be quite loud at night.
2 Thank Heather B
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

The grosvenor ilfracombe
Sounds nice & looks ok from the outside, but then you go inside .
70 room hotel , only has five parking spaces.
Booked a deal via Wowcher £89 for two nights d/b&b & b&b.
Given a room on the third floor, a proper ordeal dragging case up the narrow stairwell.
The room 348 is very small with a small bathroom, the bed mattress was something else, never heard a mattress make so much noise & sag each side, you feel like your going to fall out of the bed, not normal .
The room is so dark & depressing, the lighting is a joke, you can not read under these dim lights, must have lowest rated bulb wattage ever.
The television is about as big as my iPad. Not stayed in a hotel room like this since I was a child.
We are sure this room 348 has a damp problem as when we got home we could smell damp on our clothes, it couldn't have came from anywhere else.
Everything is uncomfortable from the chairs to the settees.
Dinner . Strange event , our table was outside the restaurant in front on the bar but shared with another couple even though there was space everywhere, its seems all the people who book on offers are segregated, where on earth do you share a table for dinner with strangers?, normal here it seems, the waitress was very odd, takes the starter only from the person and goes straight away to get it, meals are all pre prepared.
Breakfast is the same, you order full English then within thirty seconds , Bosch it's in front of you , I even got served toast with mould on, couldn't be bothered to complain as other guests were all complaining of other things .
There is not even a WiFi connection in the hotel, really in this day and age.
If we were paying full wack for this room I would insist on being moved.
The blame for all this lies solely with the owners, seems like they are playing at it., seems like hotel has gone down the pan & is at rock bottom , needs some enthusiasm shown by someone especially the owners before its too late.
On the upside a bottle of Pinot was very nice & reasonable at £13.50 & the bar staff were ok.
The entertainment was ok...........but overall would definetly not go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: don't stay in room 348....
2 Thank ActionLondon

Travelers are raving about these Ilfracombe hotels

Rochdale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

After reading the reviews for this hotel I was somewhat apprehensive on arrival. Car Park is only for five cars but on a motorbike we always found a bit of space. We headed for reception, checked in and went to our room with no problems. Room was comfortable, clean, and perfectly acceptable. TV, coffee making facilities, fresh sheets and a good selection of toiletries. Still expecting to find problems we headed down for dinner. The restaurant was busy, two coach loads of pensioners on tour! the staff were busy too, even jogging their way to table on occasion, but service was swift, pleasant and friendly. Now the food wasn't "gourmet", in fact it was old fashioned - roast chicken, fruit sponge and custard, homemade tomato soup etc. I have to say though as an ex chef, that it was well cooked, tasty, and there was plenty of it too. M wife is a veggy but that presented no problem. It was good to have traditional English food and we both enjoyed the meals very much. The staff were fast and efficient and anything you requested, e.g. double sausage and bacon at breakfast was given. There was a nice surprise one evening when they served dessert buffet style - trifle, eton mess, chocoloate mousse, home made cheesecake etc. Top marks. So its not Claridges, but for the money, great value, and a really nice surprise. Happy to go again and to recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MarkLynch93
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a traditional Seaside Hotel in a Seaside Town so don't expect a modern Aluminium and Glass clone. Our room was amply sized - the hot water was hot, the shower was a power shower and the tea making facilities included a teapot and decent sized cups. Small things, but important. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was fine. Parking might be a problem and it is a trek to some of the rooms. We had a great weekend and would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: Let them know if you have trouble with stairs.
2 Thank Derek N
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start?! I purchased a deal on Wowcher- £99 for a two night stay including breakfast and a three course meal on the first night and I am annoyed to be perfectly honest- I wouldn't have paid half that. I am tempted to complain to Wowcher but there's nothing they can do really. I am kicking myself because I normally Trip Advisor places beforehand but failed to do so on this occasion.

After a 5 hour journey we pulled up to a mustard yellow painted building. Not a good start. As we walked in we could see dated green and gold decor. It was like a time machine had transported us back to the 1980s. I booked this trip for myself and my boyfriend- I am 30 my boyfriend is 34 but this hotel would not suit people of our generation. Ok for your great great great grandma to stay.

As I despaired when we pulled up my fella said not to judge a book by its cover but he soon changed his mind. Our room just confirmed my worst fears. Dingy, old fashioned and basic. There were these awful red curtains and matching bedspreads, two single beds strategically positioned in the tiny room, a small portable tv with about 3 channels, a dressing table and an en suite. I say en suite but you could literally shower, use the loo and brush your teeth all at the same time.

Dinner was served at 6.30pm and we went down at 6.20 and got ourselves a drink at the bar and sat down amongst a lot of other bewildered looking people. There was a stage with a gold and green glitter curtain. Perspex was drilled on most of the walls including the restaurant area to protect the 1980s yellow wallpaper. I use the term 'restaurant' lightly. Food was average. Best bit was the bread and the broccoli and Stilton soup (pea and Stilton really). My cod and parsley main was dire. Cheap frozen fish and some sloppy sauce. We had ice cream for dessert and it made Asda's Our price vanilla ice cream seem like Haagen Daaz. Bet thing about the ice cream was the wafers. It was even served in those ice cream bowls that I haven't seen used in years. Dinner was very unorganised. Waiter/waitress went round each table at random asking for starter orders. In the middle of eating the starter, in the middle of a mouthful, everyone them got asked what they wanted for their mains. No joke. I actually had to chew and quickly swallow before I could answer. Awkward doesn't half describe it. Everywhere I looked I could see unimpressed expressions and half eaten courses- I don't think I saw one empty plate.

Didn't bother experiencing the entertainment but we could hear it nice and clearly in our room- think Phoenix Nights.

Breakfast was served between 8.30 and 9.30 and shouldn't have bothered. They obviously made batches of everything and left it under heaters- the egg yolk of my fried egg had a crisp to it. We didn't bother with breakfast on the second morning- we made a start on our journey home at 6.30- I couldn't wait to get out of there to be honest.

To conclude the hotel needs a serious revamp and modernising. And get a car park built- 6 parking spots for the hotel! You will either have to pay for parking for park miles away on a residential street and walk it. As previously mentioned, unless you're over 80, don't bother staying here. An experience to remember but not for the right reasons but to be fair the staff were nice.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank yellowmellow_01
Truro, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Not good for the disabled or unfit person as there are numerous flights of stairs to climb and the room number signs are confusing, we went up and down a number of times before we finally came to the room.
Room itself good enough for the price paid but decor poor, disused sockets had some sort of white/lime scale mould coming out of it and it was where my bed was!
Shower room small and leaked water into the bathroom when using the shower.
Food was not of good quality and portion sizes very small, going away hungry after each meal unexpected!
Entertainment average but as previously written focused more on elderly cliental and fawlty towers springs to mind which was what keeps you sane as you can giggle at the pitfalls!

Overall I got what I paid for - £99 on KGB deal for DBB for two adults but wouldn't return even if it were cheaper!

Having said all this I found the staff very friendly and approachable which is the hotels saving grace.

Room Tip: Steep steps up-to bedrooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family