We booked this hotel last year as a Groupon deal and despite reading the horrendous reviews we checked in with open minds.
To be fair the guy on reception was extremely helpful and friendly and we couldn't fault his customer care qualities. On seeing our room I was totally speechless with horror, we have stayed in many hotels rooms in the past few years and I can honestly say this was the worst ever. Shabby wasn't the word for it - I think seedy would be more appropriate. The furniture was damaged, the walls cracked with plaster falling off. The only good thing was that it was clean. We complained and managed to change rooms to number 348 (we were in 225 before) this was much better but still nothing to write home about. No radio in either room and the TV in the second room only showed 2 snowy channels.
Breakfast was average but we did have quite a long wait on the first day to be seated, luckily our waitress was very friendly and helpful so no complaints there.
On one occasion we had to ring the reception bell 5 times before my partner decided to nudge the American guy working behind the bar who totally ignored our ringing.
Ilfracombe has some lovely restaurants for which we will leave separate reviews. If you get the chance to walk the cliffs go for it it was fantastic as was the weather.
I know the upkeep on a place the size of the Grosvenor is astronomical and feel sorry for the owners and staff who work there, if they could just update the bedrooms just a little bit then I'm sure lots of people would revisit but only on the discount price it would never be worth paying the rack rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you at Devon Bay Hotel. Its Stately Victorian exterior fully compliments the stylish and characteristic interior, blending old and new styles to create a unique and exciting environment. Our large and airy restaurant looks out to the front of the hotel, serving freshly prepared breakfast and dinner every day. We also have a large bar and comfortable lounge areas, which are great to sit and enjoy a drink and relax. The Devon Bay Hotel is ideally located in the bustling centre of Ilfracombe, minutes from the cliff tops and beautiful sandy beach, meaning guests have everything they need within walking distance. Our aim at Devon Bay Hotel is to ensure that your stay with us is pleasurable. You will always receive a friendly warm welcome, whether you are visiting us for lunch or dinner, a function or an overnight stay. Whether business or pleasure, why not make the Devon Bay Hotel first on your list of new venues to visit - we look forward to welcoming you. Step outside and you are on the Promenade with its many shops, cafes, and the Landmark Theatre complex. Open all year around, we offer Christmas and New Year Packages and our nightly entertainment ensures that your visit to the Devon Bay Hotel will be enjoyable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Devon Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grosvenor Hotel Ilfracombe
- Devon Bay Hotel Ilfracombe