“Not as bad as we thought it would be ....”
Review of Devon Bay Hotel

Devon Bay Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed October 30, 2011

After reading the other reviews I was dreading staying at The Grosvenor, but to be honest it was okay. It was a little old fashioned in decoration, but clean and tidy. The staff were all polite and friendly. Our room was basic but okay conisdering we only wanted somewhere to sleep. The entertainment was aimed at the OAPs coach tour, but that was okay because we went out both nights. Breakfast was at a shared table which was like you would have at a B&B and tasted fine. The negatives really were no shower or shower attachment which made washing hair a bit awkward, and no complimentary toiletries. For what we paid on Groupon it was okay. Position was great and we walked everywhere. Parked the car the first day but then had to park on the road the next and cost 50p for the night. Try the Tapas for a Tenner restaurant - delicious!

1  Thank atuckbyash

Reviewed October 28, 2011

What a terrible hotel!!! How unfortunate that I ended up staying there! I have travelled extensively .. in the Far East and Asia and I have never encountered a more filthy bathroom as I did in this Hotel. To be fair to the hotel, the bed was clean. The sheets and pillow were very closely inspected by me and I decided that they were fine! I wanted to move but my partner said it just wastnt worth the hassle. Regarding the bathroom, I asked the room lady to give it a good scrub and although she did try .. it wasnt clean. It wasnt just the mould and the stains, it was just grime. Nothing that a good squirt of bleach and a scrubbing brush and a strong pair of glasses wouldnt get rid of!!

The staff at the reception are very unfriendly and unnecessarily aggressive. I heard the receptionist barking at some poor guy that they didnt pretend to be a 5 star hotel!! I dont know what the complaint was. 5 Star? No stars whatsoever! In fact the Devon Health and Safety should be down there checking the place out and if it was me, closing the whole place down!

The hotel has its own guest car-park but this is kept secret. When I asked why, the receptionist dismissively said that this was because there were just a few spaces. We discovered the car-park whilst we were walking to the Museum and Theatre. We encountered the receptionist who was smoking a cigarette outside the hotel ... nice!!

We didnt eat in the hotel. Didnt dare!! The evening entertainment was a joke! We only walked through the foyer on the way to the lift and what we saw made us quicken our step ... not linger!

The Hotel itself is well placed and it should be completely renovated and sorted out if it is to continue as a hotel ..... I certainly will never ever go back there again.

Room Tip: Dont go there ............... thats all I have to say!
2  Thank timetravellerswife5
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Awfully dirty hotel! The first room we got was not cleaned at all (only the bedlinens were changed).. we complained and got a new one. It was still a dirty room, but this looked like they had tried to clean it. But: dirty carpet, dirty walls, dirty tea and coffee equipment, used plasticcups in the bathroom (toothpaste in), hair/pubichairs on the bathroomfloor and in the shower, everything felt sticky and dirty.. didn`t feel like sleeping and definetly did not take a shower there...grose! Boring breakfast that we got after a long time waiting, and we had to sit with unknown people at the table even there were a lot of free tables.. and the table was.. again.. dirty. (Staff afraid of work??)
I am a perfectly normal person and not picky at all, but I want a clean room and expect this service in the price that I pay for the room. Good it was just for one night.. all the other hotels we visited on our 10 days trip to England were in a good condition, and we were satisfied customers. So to those who are satisfied with this hotel... either they have been extremely lucky, or they are completely blind! Sorry Grosvenor.....

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sirius001
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Just returned from a weekend in this hotel, booked through Groupon. Big mistake! Checked in advance that the hotel had its own car park, which it did. What it didn't tell us is that it only held 5 cars - the same lucky cars stayed in their places for the whole time we were there and everyone else had to fight over pay and display parking on the roadside. Our room was a small box with barely room for the double bed. The bathroom had a dark blue bathroom suite with no shower, a horrible chipped, white toilet seat and threadbare carpet, covered in paint drips and goodness knows what else! My husband and I had to take turns sitting on the one chair that was squeezed into a corner of the room, providing we didn't get up too quickly and bang our heads on the old TV which was mounted directly over the chair. The food was adequate if you don't mind packet soup! I would like to say that the waitresses were very good, especially when faced with the huge numbers of unhappy guests that we spoke to. We didn't encounter anyone who was happy with their rooms. We are definitely not fussy people but expect a minimum basic standard regardless of the number of stars.

1  Thank Ann W
Reviewed September 21, 2011

To be fair, we didn't pay much per night as our stay was purchased through a Groupon voucher, but it certainly epitomised "you get what you pay for"! My mother and I were among very few under-70's in the place, and talking to the other couples of our generations it seemed that we had a remarkably positive experience having a functioning shower, only slightly burned bedsheets, and waitress who was abrupt rather than overtly rude. Once party with a baby and pram was placed in a room up six flights of stairs and offered no help to move all their stuff back down once their room turned-out to be uninhabitable; another were questioning whether they had actually found themselves "in a care home" after sampling the "entertainment"... Great location though :S

Room Tip: Ask for one with lift access but far enough from the bar to be able to sleep at night! Also, explici...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank i_like_alpacas
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed at this hotel as part of a short break in Devon and were extremely disappointed and unimpressed by the whole experience. Firstly, although not disabled ourselves, there does not seem to be disabled access to the hotel - we believe everyone has to negotiate the steps at the front. On arrival we parked outside to unload and then had to move the car to the hotel car park which had very little space - fortunately we were early enough to get into it otherwise the alternative, we believe, was.a NCP park somewhere. As we were too early for checking in we left our baggage and went for a walk. On our return we checked in and told we could reach our room by getting the lift to the first floor and walk along a corridor and up some stairs - 55 on a narrow sharply cornered 5 flights! Not for the infirm! Having negogiated the 5 flights of stairs we found that our room was adequate, although the view and the sea bird noise didn't help. When we went to dinner the person who we assumed was n charge was hopeless and didn't have a clue what was going - the situation wasn't helped by a coach arriving late due to a puncture but they were well looked after. Independents like us were ignored. I should add the young witeresses were absolutely brilliant and helpful.
Eventually we were found a table and had a passable meal (we ate out the next evening!).
Breakfast the next two mornings was equally shambolic. Just to make things clear we have stayed in many hotels, B&B's, Travelodges and Premier Inns and do not consider ourselves to be particularly fussy.Enough said..

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank waldodw
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel and all I can say is good things. The coach picked us up and the driver was excellent very helpfull and happy. The hotel the room was very clean which was important to us, we were greeted on arrival with a coffee or tea. The staff were very helpfull and most of all friendly,evening entertainment was very good.
I would like to say thanks for a nice few days.Any one who wants my opnion can ask me any time.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple