“Icecream, cake and so much more...”
Review of The Periwinkle

The Periwinkle
More attraction details
Owner description: The Periwinkle is Ilfracombe's first knitting cafe, selling quality yarns and tools. All our yarns have either been sheared, spun, or dyed in the UK. We offer our customers locally sourced tea and coffee along with cakes handmade at The Periwinkle. A range of workshops, clubs and classes will be advertised in store and on the website when they are confirmed. A selection of kits, crafts and textile arts will provide you with inspiration for gifts for your arty friends.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Set away from the hustle and bustle of the harbour, this little gem is a great place to get a teacup of icecream for £1 and so much more, my little girl is all set to start knitting. Well worth a visit even if you are not a knitting enthusiast as you can have a cuppa and cake in a very pretty shop.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I stopped at Ilfracombe on Saturday 19th July to break up a long journey, and because we know it's a lovely seaside place.

We were looking for somewhere nice to have a drink and came across The Periwinkle. The pretty window displays and welcoming open doors enticed us in.

I had "proper" tea (tea leaves) served in a pretty tea cup and saucer and my husband had 2 "amazing" coffees with "real sugar" as he put it (sugar lumps). Just what we needed after a long journey. The cakes looked very tasty but we were too full to eat.

I know nothing about knitting at all, but even I could tell there was a fantastic variety of stock available to purchase, and all of a great quality. I loved the idea of the knitted poppies in commemoration of WW1, if I knew where to start with knitting I would have purchased a kit to join in, a really lovely idea, and can tell from the finished poppies we saw that they are going to look fantastic when displayed.

The owner was very friendly and provided us with really helpful info about the local area, where to go for lunch, what was going on that day etc.

Whether you know about knitting or not, The Periwinkle is well worth a visit.

1  Thank Cooper596
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We visited the area and this was on our list of places to visit. We were not disappointed. My hubby enjoyed the coffee - as did I - this was not something usually found in other wool shops. A lovely selection of yarn, the owner was very friendly and helpful - even winding a purchased skein of wool into a ball for me. Desi L

1  Thank Desiree L
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Spotted this little gem one evening whilst on holiday. The window display of clothes, crocheted flowers and knitting bits and bobs made it stand out and the next day I made a beeline for it!

The shop is beautifully presented, light and airy with lots of lovely yarn, accessories and books. It was like a sweet shop for me as a beginner knitter! I bought some 100% cotton yarn in a lovely mustard colour and a kit to make poppies for an installation on Capstone Hill, a really novel idea and proceeds from this go to charity so worthwhile too.

On our second visit we enjoyed the best tea we've had anywhere and delicious cake and flapjacks. The hot drinks came with a delicious homemade gingerbread biscuit which was a nice touch. Knitting magazines were left on the tables for us to peruse and I couldn't resist buying some more yarn and a couple of pairs of lovely, wooden knitting needles.

The owner is really lovely and provided me with very helpful knitting advice as well as tips on things to do in Ilfracombe. I would recommend it for knitters but also for anyone looking for friendly, lovely surroundings in which to enjoy good tea and brilliant homemade cakes.

The only fault is that it is in Ilfracombe rather than in my home town!

Tonia S, Owner at The Periwinkle, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Hi Laura,

Thank you for such a great review, so glad you enjoyed your trip, hope to see a photo of your finished project when it's complete, looking forward to your next visit.
Tonia

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Lovely bright shop with a great selection of yarn with the added bonus of great coffee. My unknitty hubby loved it too as he got to read Motoring mags while I perused the wonderful yarn selection. The owner is lovely and invited me to join her knitting group on the Wednesday evening. I purchased a fab book on crocheted flowers and some lovely bright cotton yarn.