“Amazing. :]”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Amazing. :]”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The wife and I got married here in June 2012. The grounds are stunning and have some lovely views. Everything was very clean and the hotel was incredibly quiet (after the party stopped that is!).

Very, very friendly staff. They were there for our every need!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear MCarts265

Just a short note to thank you so much for your kind review. We were so pleased that everything about your day went well - and indeed trust married live is treating you both well too!

We shall look forward to seeing you again!

Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned home after a wonderful week away in the Granary, self catering at Trimstone Manor. We are a family of 7, my wife and I and our 5 children and our black labrador Saphie. The granary was very comfortable and was clean and spacious. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and l must single out Sarah for a special mention, who made a big effort to get our family a table at a local pub on the Saturday night. She had to make severall phone calls to find somewhere to accommodate our numbers. Well beyond what I would expect from any hotel. The first 2 days of the stay the weather was awful but this wasno problem as the children loved the very warm swimming pool and well equipped games room. We did some walking with the dog along the spectacular cliffs too. The weather was lovely for the rest of the holiday and the hotel made a great base from which to explore the fabulous beaches and landscape. We have unanimously decided to return next year, perhaps for 2 weeks next time. Many thanks.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank gbs732
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear GBS

Thank you very much for your kind comments which I shall relay to the staff.

We are all very pleased you had such a great time here with us and shall look forward to seeing you again!

I am sorry we could not accommodate you in our Tyme Restaurant either - we'll have to remind you to pre-book next time and then you'll be guaranteed space (and at special rates for residents too!). However, glad you were sorted - there are some lovely eateries around the area and we are very happy to recommend them.

Thank you again and indeed for taking the time to leave a review - always appreciated.

Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel and Cottages
Bourne End, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

A family get together at Heanton Punchardon (5 miles down the road) got my wife and her cousin looking for a hotel. This was selected from Trip Advisor. An older home/estate that dates back to the 12th century. We found the rooms to be very clean, the water very hot, beds comfortable and service extremely good. The bar was opened when we asked for a drink, the breakfast was plentiful, and the place was extremely peaceful. If you don't like to be in a country environment then this is not the place for you. There is a small warning, follow the driving instructions from the web site, if you don't the track accessing the hotel from the Ilfracombe side in is quite narrow and I have learned that Devon Farmers do not slow down when the are coming towards you. We really liked the place and would go back the next time we are in that area.

Room Tip: Follow the web site instructions to get to the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear AR

Thank you very much for your comments. It was a pleasure to have your group stay with us.

Yes, the Main Road route is only 300 yards up our lane so if anyone doesn't like the narrow lane back towards Woolacombe, it is easy to use the main roads and no great diversion for anyone. We always use the narrow route and so far, in six years I think I have only had to reverse three times! It's our private one mile road...:)

We shall look forward to having you with us again and don't forget to bring your swimming things to enjoy the Pool, etc!

Best wishes

Dorset, UK
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Located down a barely used North Devon lane, Trimstone Manor is located in the most delightful rural location, surrounded by bird song or the occasional cries from the poultry that are kept in the adjoining paddock.
I was there with a number of colleagues and we enjoyed a delicious dinner before entertaining ourselves in the Games Room with table tennis, pool and table football. There is also a decent sized indoor swimming pool which must be visited if only to see the water wheel which is such a feature of the property.
My bedroom was immaculately clean and very well appointed, even with a gun cabinet for those who wished to keep their firearms secure! My large double bed was extremely comfortable and the very modern bathroom provided a powerful shower. I never heard a sound from the other guests.
But I suppose what makes this hotel stand out is the warmth of the welcome from the staff and the attitude that they cannot do enough to ensure you have everything you need.
If you do not like the countryside, narrow lanes, peace and quiet then this is not for you. But if that was the case you probably would not have come to North Devon in the first place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Dorset Wanderer

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us - & that we could share the history our North Devon literary roots!

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us for that very special occasion & I am glad all the party had a good time. I am pleased you enjoyed your food too - if you have the time & if not cheeky, a review on the Tyme Restaurant page would be most welcome too!

I circulate all comments amongst the staff and they will be very pleased to see yours so thank you very much for that.

As well as always looking forward to treating our many guests from myriad backgrounds to North Devon hospitality & beautiful surroundings, it is always a pleasure as well to be able to entertain experienced & well-travelled guests who circulate in more cosmopolitan circles (& certainly usually I expect seriously more expensive venues!) shall I say & to be able to meet their hopes & expectations. It helps us realize we must be doing something right - as well as being able to help even the busiest person thoroughly relax & enjoy themselves when staying with us.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Very short notice arrangements to stay at this hotel. Very accommodating, extremely helpful staff.
Allow dogs in the annex but nowhere in the main hotel rooms which is a pity.
A little past it's sell by date in many areas! Needs a little money spending on it but quaint in many ways. Great setting, very peaceful and quiet apart from the owners collection of rare breed hens and ducks. Be prepared for the battle of the cockerels very early! Maybe not as loud in the main hotel rooms? Room in the annex quite small with an extremely small bathroom but at least it had a great shower. Not too sure if it offered great value for money on a B&B basis particularly as the room wasn't serviced during our 2 night stay.

Room Tip: Maybe quieter in the main hotel in comparison to the annex rooms?
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mike R
Dear Mike R

Thank you for your review. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us but apologise if anything was awry with your stay.

Yes, after the telephone conversation, we prioritized cleaning the last dog-friendly room we had available & you arrived 20 minutes after the call to inspect the room. You reviewed it and its aspect over the paddock with the poultry collection, were happy with it and paid a deposit for your two night stay.

It's difficult with dogs (we have our own!) & we are unusual to allow them at all it seems but the happy compromise is 'not in the main Hotel building'. I know some pubs & restaurants allow them in their eating areas but we don't - for the benefit of non-dog-owning guests. Of course we have lovely grounds for you to enjoy with your dog as well. When we considered this, we felt that having these rooms nearer to the outside amenity areas & car park was a draw & not a disadvantage, as opposed to bringing them through the main Hotel for example.

Just for your interest really but your room was newly constructed as part of a nigh £750,000 refurbishment of the premises in 2008 but with a characterful property with roots in the Domesday Book, there is always more to do!

I am pleased that you found us very peaceful and quiet though the poultry collection may have disturbed your sleep & apologise for that. Yes, the dog friendly rooms are closer to the collection than the main Hotel but evidently the double glazing doesn't work effectively enough.

I was mortified to hear that your room had not been serviced on your second day & just wish you had mentioned this to reception as soon as you returned. Whilst no excuse, I understand from the records on the day that you did not leave your key with us to provide access whilst you were out but evidently it wasn't rechecked by us later either and I am very sorry about that. We should have been right over had you called but you didn't say anything, even on checking-out.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your comments & if you are in the area again, please do come & visit us.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I booked Trimstone Manor as a very last minute anniversary surprise for my husband, myself and our two dogs.
What a pleasant surprise to find such a tranquil place. We felt like we had really escaped the rat race and found paradise.
Our room was perfectly adequate for our needs. The bathroom looked brand new, and the shower was amazing.
Our room was accessed via the courtyard, which was most convenient as that is where the car park is.
The staff were so very pleasant and efficient.
The surrounding grounds were lovely. The peace and quiet and the whole ambience of the place was wonderful.
We stayed for just one night, but the next time it will definately be for longer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yayalind
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Calloose s

Thank you very much for your kind words. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and shall very much look forward to seeing you again!

I am glad that your husband was pleased with your special treat for your anniversary as well. next time you come, I suspect the flowers in the garden will be adding more colour as well and Spring has begun finally to arrive as well!

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - much appreciated.

My best wishes

Birmingham, UK
Reviewed April 9, 2013

As we love North Devon, we were delighted to see that KGB deals were doing a deal for a 2-night stay for £109 bed and breakfast at a hotel near Woolacombe. We booked for the Easter weekend and were really looking forward to it. We arrived on Friday afternoon and the weather was lovely and sunny and all seemed perfect........until we arrived at the hotel. First impressions weren't too promising. The place was deserted, no cars in the car park, it was approached down a very narrow lane so we kept our fingers crossed that nothing was coming the other way!. Then the receptionist showed us to our room. The carpet had not been hoovered for I don't know how long.....there was a layer of dust on the bedside tables......the bathroom floor could have been cleaner and the sink was suitable for a small cloakroom. However, the shower was nice and hot and powerful. The bed was small for a double, very soft mattress but at least the bedsheets were clean as were the towels in the bathroom. To be honest, I was all set to check out there and then and find the nearest B & B but as we had already paid for the deal, we decided to put up with it. On the plus side, the view from the room was lovely and it is set in a peaceful location with lots of hens, wildfowl, peacocks, etc. There were also owls hooting in the night to remind us of how rural we were - which was actually quite nice. Our room and the hotel was lovely and warm - very welcome when coming in out of the cold weather we've been having. The coast was only a short drive from the hotel. Breakfast was OK and we had dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night which was good value for money. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a lovely time in Devon as always and actually enjoyed our stay at the hotel after all - despite my first impression of the room - and I'm glad we decided to stay. It was a lovely, relaxing break.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Susan D
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Susan D

Thank you for your comments. I was very sorry to learn that the carpet did not appear hoovered and that there was dust on surfaces and an inadequate bathroom floor. I do wish you'd raised that as we should have resolved that immediately or offered you another Room. Of course, the room should have been cleaned thoroughly (as they all are) and then inspected but evidently something did not happen there - apologies.

I walk up and down the short, 300 yard lane to the main A361 clearing debris and rubbish regularly - it is a County Council road of course! We can't do much about the lane (which we think adds to our attraction as a country house hotel) but we are in Devon, afterall and renowned for some of our roads! It is a very quiet lane and we rarely meet anyone coming the other way. However, large lorries still negotiate it for oil, refuse and trade deliveries and there have been coaches too in the past.

Out of high season we can't guarantee that loads of guests will happen to be in our car park as opposed to out enjoying themselves. I prefer that observation than not enough room to park....! I'm not in the illusion business of asking staff to park there to give a false impression either. That said, we are only an eleven bed hotel and offer peace and tranquility - not hustling bustling activity with hundreds of people - you'll have to go to a city for that!

All our rooms and beds more than satisfy the VisitBritain 3 Star accreditation and regular inspections and our Prestige Rooms are much bigger again. In fact most of our rooms are far larger than the average hotel room.

Anyway, I am glad that you had a lovely, relaxing break though I regret that in future we are unlikely to be able to offer vouchers (should we participate again as the revenue doesn't really even cover costs) during bank Holiday weekends as the special concession we made to you!

Yours sincerely

Philip J Milton - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilfracombe
Ilfracombe Carlton Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe
The Darnley Hotel
The Darnley Hotel
#10 of 20 in Ilfracombe

Been to Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!