“Like marmite...”
Review of Verity Statue

Verity Statue
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I guess you either love it or you hate it. I don't particularly think it fits very well with Ilfracombe's Victorian theme, but it's not really doing anyone any harm.

It is fairly large and impressive but I wouldn't put it in Ilfracombe.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,901)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We really disliked this statue and thought the side where you could see the exposed muscles, skull and growing foetus scary and a little offensive

Reviewed August 20, 2014

All I can say is this statue is absolutely awful I try to see the best in things, but in all honest I fail to see what is the point in this art work situated next to a beautiful harbour. Then again I guess it gives people something to talk about....

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

What a great thing! She stands there completely out if place and grabs your eye! Have a good wander round the harbour and enjoy from every angle. Climb the hills and look from the sea. Described by a boatsman as "Justice for the unborn child" - that wasn't on the description I read so not sure how official it is!! It's a powerful image - I loved it!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

This colossal pregnant lady dwarfs the harbour with her sword held high in indignation. She stands astride over law books. On the harbourside, her body is stripped to sinew, revealing the growing babe inside her.
An interesting piece of art which complements the colours of the rocks and sea, especially as the metal turns green in the elements. The more 'disturbing' element of Verity as some reviewers have noted is only visible looking backwards from the sea, so can easily be avoided for children or the squeamish.
I personally find this art to be provocative and a wonderful depiction of the strength and majesty of women as life-givers. More interesting perhaps is the blurring in the 'meaning' and intention of the statue. Can provide some fascinating starting points for discussion.