“A great trip out, amazing views, great crew!”

Ilfracombe Princess
Ranked #2 of 9 Tours in Ilfracombe
More attraction details
Owner description: Spectacular wildlife and coastal cruises aboard "Ilfracombe Princess" one of the most technologically advanced passenger vessels in the U.K.Based in Ilfracombe harbour the Ilfracombe Princess cruises frequently sight seals, porpoises and dolphins.New in 2005 and licensed for 100 passengers. Come and enjoy one of the most dramatic coastal landscapes in England aboard our safe comfortable vessel the 'Ilfracombe Princess'For more information, sailing times and to book visit us at the Pier Kiosk.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Went on the trip that takes you north towards Exmoor with my daughter (aged 8, but 7 then)
The boat itself is a great bit of kit, looks very new and very stable and safe (its a "cat", the same they use in the north sea in very rough seas!).

I used to have a boat myself and wish I had one again, but down in Ilfracombe - I would be out every day!

The crew were nice and helpful, the lad doing the booking seemed to know his stuff and told us what we could expect to see if we were lucky.
After a brief safety talk to make sure everyone knew what they were doing if the worst were to happen (which is great to see, many boat trips dont seem to bother with this bit, just load em and go!), we set off in reasonable weather.

The skipper talked about the points of interest (which my daughter loved and still repeats now) and the views were breathtaking to be honest.
I have been to Ilfracombe and Combe Martin before but seeing everything from the seaward side is something that has to be done.

We saw a giant sun-fish (about 180 kilo), a porpoise about 100m from the boat (the skipper tried to get closer but it wouldn't play that day!), many really interesting sea birds and a waterfall!

Really great hour or two, just long enough I would say (especially with fidgety kid's!)

It was about £16 last summer, good value I think.

Would definitely go again, maybe next time I will try their deep sea fishing boat "Blue Fin" - we didnt get time this visit but again, its a "cat" and looked very safe which if I am taking my daughter, means a lot to me.

2  Thank David w
David_Barbeary, Public Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Princess, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thanks so much for your wonderful review of our tour, I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the experience and found the commentary from my Uncle interesting! We hope to see you in Ilfracombe again someday!

There are newer reviews for Ilfracombe Princess

Reviewed January 7, 2013

A great way to see the North Devon coast, managed to see one seal and lots of beautiful coast line..a must for any trip to Ilfracombe

1  Thank Megan R
David_Barbeary, Public Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Princess, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thanks very much for your kind feedback, it's much appreciated by us. Pleased to hear that you saw a seal and loved the view of the coast from the seaward side!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We did the 'Seal' cruise along the coast and althoug it seemed quite expensive for a family, you are on board for around 90 minutes and the cost line looks great from the sea..

We did not see any porpoises but we did see a number of seals and in all had a good time.

In the busy periods you are better to book places in advance.

There are several car parks in the vicinity of Ilfracombe harbour

The web site - http://www.ilfracombeprincess.co.uk/
Phone number 01271 879 727
Cost - Adult £12Children 5 + are £6, under 4 are free.

2  Thank localpint
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Really enjoyed the trip,£12 per adult,bit pricey but you do get an hour and half boat trip.on a good day you get to see alot.

1  Thank Wobbs170
Reviewed August 5, 2012

When we phoned to book we were a little disappointed as the seal trip wasn't running due to the weather so we booked an hour long trip down the coast instead. It was worth arriving early for the tour as we had great seats upstairs on the boat. The trip commentary was interesting pointing out local landmarks, places of interest and giving a little history. We went down the coast to Coombe Martin, and then into Watermouth Harbour on the way back up. The highlight was when we saw the porpoises which boat slowed down for and circled so we could all spot them. We saw some fabulous scenery and took some beautiful photos as it was a fine day. Highly recommended, our girls aged 4and 7 sat still for the duration and enjoyed spotting things too!

3  Thank Els2002
David B, Director of Sales at Ilfracombe Princess, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thanks for your positive feedback, we are pleased that you enjoyed your cruise and were able to watch the porpoise, happy to hear the youngsters enjoyed themselves too.