“Unfriendly and disappointing food”

The Great British Tea Shop
Cuisines: British
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We arrived with our two young children and were treated with disdain and rudeness. The food was over priced and tasted very average indeed. The owner was incredibly sniffy when our two year old reached into table case and tire the petals off one flower (before we could stop her). She bustled over and said (I only bought that flower this morning). This was her greeting to us. When we asked for Tap water we were told she could not serve it but that we could buy a bottle of water for one pound. We should have left then. The food was boring and the service unfriendly. Avoid at all costs.

8  Thank Tini M

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We arrived at this place in need of good food and with tired and hungry children. This was apparently a new concept. The girl who welcomed us was professional and pleasant. The (more senior) woman who took our order was unbelievably unfriendly and downright rude. They didn't have tap water for the kids, but we could of course we could buy some bottled. How can a tea shop not have potable water? The food, when it arrived was meagre, tasteless and expensive. Avoid unless you want to eat bad food and be treated appallingly. And if you're the friendly girl behind the counter, run for the hills to a new job somewhere nice.

8  Thank TimmyDil
Reviewed September 16, 2012

What a lovely place to go and have coffee and cake or just lunch the cakes are truly brilliant and the sandwiches are gorgeous! Whole atmosphere is lovely and relaxed. All the staff are very friendly and talkative and nothing is too much trouble, especially with the little one being so vocal at the moment! Just a perfect splendid and british place to go in our lovely little town!

1  Thank SimplyMe_12
Reviewed September 16, 2012

...you have to try this Tea Shop. It's a fab cafe. The cake was the best I have ever eaten - and homemade too! We found the menu to be just what was needed when surrounded by pasty and fish and chip shops. Huge variety in menus usually mean tasteless food - I think they have the right balance. From a hygiene perspective we didn't see anything that looked untoward. We will definitely return when back on holiday. Great for kids too - especially the Mini Cupcakes!

1  Thank MMitchelson
Reviewed September 15, 2012

An adorable place with lovely welcoming staff and great food on offer considering it was a tea shop :) the cakes I have sampled as well as the scones and the sandwiches on different visits and they have all been absolutely delectable! The lady in charge went out of her way to prepare a meal for me that I liked! The waitress was very well presented and lovely! I went with my son and he was welcomed and we were both made to feel comfortable! My mother also raves about this tea shop and visits when she comes down! It's a lovely atmosphere and the music really added to it. Overall brilliant and will revisit for some more tasty home made cakes!

1  Thank SingerWithAChild