“A really pleasant experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Relish Bar & Bistro

Relish Bar & Bistro
Ranked #12 of 117 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“A really pleasant experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Relish was selected by us after reading Trip Advisor reviews. We phoned and booked a table, it was a good job we did as when we arrived we found that it was fully booked for the evening having just the one sitting each evening. Relish is owned and run by two very pleasant young ladies from New Zealand, one running the front of the house and one in the kitchen. They do serve locally caught fish as well as the more traditional fare some of it with what I believe is a New Zealand twist, all very nice though. Needless to say that the meal was delicious and I found the service to be friendly and well timed. A place that I would strongly recommend and will definitely be returning to next time I am in Ilfracombe.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Devon UK
“Local seafood restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our second visit here in 2 weeks and yet again we enjoyed a wonderful evening.
Lovely seafood but other choices if that's not your thing.
It's great having this gem if a restaurant pretty much on our doorstep.
Very friendly helpful staff make it a brilliant evening out.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Nice little restaurant in one of the side streets. Restaurant staff were very friendly. Meal was ok.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank J0an1958
“lovely fresh fish by the sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Whilst on holiday in Ilfracombe i wanted to visit a restaurant that was good and had lovely fresh local ingredients and we found this restaurant on the main street in Ilfracombe. It was shut for the first couple of nights we were here so we phoned to book a table for the night it re-opened ( the town has strange season opening hours so i would recommend looking online and booking a table and not leaving it to chance).

The front of house handled our booking well and contacted me quickly to confirm. The restaurant is nicely decorated and has a cosey feel, the tables were staggered so didn't have too much of an atmosphere but i felt they may have done this due to staffing to ensure good service to those there which i felt was a wise choice. We sat down and were promptly delivered the food menus which were quite extensive, I chose the beer and Gruyere cheese croquettes and rob went for the scallops, both were cooked fresh and my croquettes were delicious not a strong flavour of the beer but came with a very tasty relish and looked great. Rob enjoyed his scallops which came with a nice garlic butter.

For mains i had the cod with a red pepper and lemon drizzle, sauteed potatoes, leeks and courgettes which i thoroughly enjoyed. The vegetables were cooked well and the cod had a lovely light dusting of flour to give it a nice texture. The potatoes were also lovely and had a nice buttery flavour that was not too rich. My only niggle was that there was not enough of the red pepper drizzle as this was tasty and went well with the cod so a little more would have been lovely. Rob had the lobster special which was locally caught lobster served with fries, bread garlic butter and garlic mayo. He absolutely devoured this and said how lovely it was, well cooked very fresh flavours and very tasty garlic butter. We then shared the churros for dessert which came with a delicious caramel and chocolate dipping sauce which for myself who has a terrible sweet tooth soon turned into a sauce to eat off the spoon!! Very tasty but definitely the right size to share.

We had a bottle of local Devon made white wine which went great with the fish and tasted very nice. The whole meal came to £80.20 which i thought was very reasonable and definitely worth it. Overall gorgeous meal and great service with staff being attentive but not overbearing. would definitely highly recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Derby, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I visited Relish while on holiday in Ilfracombe - I had read about this place on the internet, read reviews and checked out their website beforehand. All looked good so when we arrived in Ilfracombe we picked a night to go and booked in advance - just as well we did - they ended up being fully booked the night we went (a Thursday) and were also fully booked for the following 2 nights! Our greeting was warm and friendly from the lady from NZ (presumably either Kate or Sarah one of the owners?). This place had a lovely cosy, intimate feel to it and we were shown straight to our table. Every table was full throughout our meal but it never became too rowdy nor did it feel cramped even though it is only a small place. Great looking menu - lots to choose from - we were spoilt for choice! My husband and I both had duck liver pate with chutney and Mediterranean bread to start which was luscious - really generous portion of pate too. For main I had pan fried corn fed chicken with sauté potatoes, green beans and pancetta - too die for, and my husband informed me that his seabass with sauté potatoes and Mediterranean veg was also fabulous - the fish was perfectly cooked. For dessert I had warm chocolate and raspberry pudding with vanilla bean ice cream and my husband had sorbet with a wild berry liquor shot - every mouthful of which was divine. We washed it all down with a bottle of very refreshing Italian Prosecco. We really couldn't sing the praises of this lovely little place enough and had they not already been fully booked we would have been very tempted to go back again before we went home! This is a perfect restaurant for a romantic meal with your other half/special occasion/anniversary/meal with a small group of friends. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend Relish to anyone wanting scrumptious food, at a very reasonable price, in a lovely setting with great service. If we come to Ilfracombe again we will most certainly be coming back to this wonderful restaurant.

• Visited June 2014