“Well worth a visit!”

Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park
Ranked #5 of 40 things to do in Ilfracombe
More attraction details
Owner description: A wildlife park that demonstrates how life was for the dinosaurs.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a lovely day. What a friendly and professional place. The animals all seem very relaxed and well cared for and the sea lion show was amazing! There were only six adults and two tots watching as it was out of season but the staff put their all into it as if there was a crowd.
The bond between animals and handler was clear. The staff clearly love the animals and enjoy their work. We were made to feel very welcome and all of the staff were very approachable and friendly. None of the animals looked stressed and a lot of effort had gone into their enrichment. A breath of fresh air, we will certainly be visiting again.

Dawn G, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Our animals are our main priority and we do have a high ratio of keepers to animals as we feel that it benefits them a lot. Our keepers are able to have far more interaction and provide more enrichment for the animals in our care, which is really important to us. Thank you so much for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,303)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Our children love this place and enjoy seeing the variety of animals and dinosaurs. A highlight was being in the meerkat enclosure while they were fed as well as the sea lion display. Great to see the new owners are continually updating the displays. Well worth a visit.

Thank you for your continued support and it is great that you have noticed the improvements that as new owners we have strived to make in the last couple of years. New for Easter 2014 we have some of the latest animatronic Dinosaurs arriving which will live in our valley and we are also proud to be providing a good home to some rescued animals from overseas. These Hamadryas Baboons and Barbary Macaques should be arriving before Whitsun, all with their own stories to tell. Our male White Hudson Bay wolf arrived from Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago and has settled well with our girls so we are also hoping for the patter of tiny paws! We look forward to seeing you again this year.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Had a great time here with my 11 year old son who was doing a zoo keeper experience. The staff were very informative and helpful. The zoo keeper gift experience is a lot better value for money than other animal attractions locally. The site is hilly but there were lots of people there with pushchairs who were managing fine and the woodland valley setting is part of the charm. With the price of attractions generally these days I think the park is very good value - if you plan properly you can attend 11 different animal talks which are very interesting and the whole day is enjoyable. You can save money by booking online in advance. Overall a great day.

1  Thank 610Sarah

What a lovely review, thank you. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your day and particularly that you mentioned the landscape. Tell your nephew I also love the 'jungly' feel to this park and it defintely makes it a special place to us all. We really appreciate your recommendations to others.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I took my 6 year old nephew here today. It was raining at first but that doesn't stop us and it soon brightened up. I'd driven past before but didn't think to go in until I'd read the reviews from others. I'm really glad we came. We had a great day.

My nephew was scared of the pharaoh's tomb but I actually thought it was great. The dinosaurs were cool and it's funny watching the kids get squirted with water... And hearing the mums screaming :D

Highlights: sea lions show, wolf talk, marmosets playing hide and seek with my nephew, awesome train ride which simulates a flood. Really something to see and a bargain.

Slight low-lights: some areas could do with a bit of improvement, such as near the meerkats, but I feel the new owners are already working on improving the whole park and it didn't let the rest down. I'd have liked to have seen more in the African area too.

Special thanks to the chap who talked about otters and wolves today as he was really knowledgeable and enthusiastic. My little nephew remembered a lot of what he had said. Also to the sea lion show which was brilliant and the woman working with them was fan. Actually all staff we met were absolutely wonderful. Fantastic customer service.

The park entry fee I think is a bargain and you get a half price voucher for your next trip.

I have to comment on the landscape as I know many thought it too hilly. I appreciate it would be difficult to navigate in a wheel chair and those with pushchairs should take a little time but not impossible at all. Personally my nephew and I loved it. The hills and woodland made for a great atmosphere and my nephew said he felt like he was in a jungle. I think the location makes this site special.

Well done for providing such a great place to visit. Some small bits of work left to do but well worth the money and time to come.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We enjoyed our day so much here we took our friends who joined us on the second week of our holiday to see the park. A great range of animals, and the new owners are gradually building better enclosures for the animals. If you have small children there is an area where you walk through and can pet amongst other things wallabies and lemurs, chickens and parrots are free to roam, and certain times of the day a keeper will feed and talk to the crowd on the various species. There is a sealion show which is great and informative. Also at the park is a dinasaur exhibition and hourly show which comes to life. All in all a great day out. Ther is a cafe on site as well.

Dawn G, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and your five stars. We are really pleased that you enjoyed yourselves so much that you revisited us with your friends the following week. That is fantastic! As you rightly say as new owners we have embarked on upgrading various exhibits around the park, but obviously enclosures cost tens of thousands of pounds, so our visitors support is really important to us. The more people that come to our lovely park the quicker we can do all we want to do. Thank you so much for your recommedations to others and we really hope to see you again when you are next in sunny Devon.