“Fantastic place to visit”

Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park
Ranked #5 of 40 things to do in Ilfracombe
More attraction details
Owner description: A wildlife park that demonstrates how life was for the dinosaurs.
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I was a little dubious about the entrance price initially but the experiences you get that are included make it fantastic value for money. I would recommend following the programme that they give out on entrance as they really do make the experience like going into the meerkat enclosure at feeding time, handling a snake, seeing the lions feeding etc. Feeding the wallabys was brilliant too.

The staff were friendly especially Pippa who was really good when doing the experiences. The place is hilly but there are plenty of things to do as you go around so you can take your time.

Dawn G, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Thank you so much for writing your review and reiterating the point that I often make on this site that visitors that participate in all the talks, shows and encounters that the park has to offer will get great value for their entrance charge. It gives them unique opportunities to get closer to our animals that just walking round it would not do. It's great that you enjoyed your day so much with us and I am sure Pippa will be pleased with your comments.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,303)

Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We turned up on a drizzly day in late September with our 18 month old and my 70 year old parents. We all had a great day and would highly recommend it to anyone.
The pet area as you enter was clean and well maintained, and as with the rest of the park there were hand wash stations readily available. We took a ride on the train and the water coming towards you was impressive.
The animatronic dinosaurs were a bit of fun, and all around the trails it was a nice touch that you see dinosaurs hidden in the bushes.
The sealion show was really good. Not sure how people can complain about paying extra to have a photo taken with the animals, do they expect them to kiss everyone for the camera?!
The best part for us was the trail where you wander through the wallabies and emus. Our son loved it, really nice touch to be walking amongst animals instead of looking at them in their enclosures. The lions were impressive and well kept, the talks were good.
We spent the whole day there, I would love to go back.

1  Thank splatface
Dawn G, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

What a lovely review, thank you so much. It is great to hear that you all had such an enjoyable day despite our drizzly september weather. Not one mention of the steepness either! We really appreciate your recommendations to others and look forward to your return visit

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I took my children to the park not knowing what to expect, and I have to say inwas pleasantly surprised. The animals are wonderful, especially as many of the roam freely in their paddocks, such as wallabies, lemurs, emus and lamas. The children aged between 8 and 13 thought it was brilliant. The park is clean the staff are friendly and the animals well looks after. There were educational talks on many animals, such as the sealions, the penguins, meercats and otters as well as the lions. I would definitely recommend this park to my friends, we were there for a whole day and there was plenty to do to fill your time and keep the kids interested. Only one point to consider, the park is built on a very very very steep hill, may be to much for some to cope with, however there are slightly easier routes through the park if you wish to take them

Dawn G, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We do try and give our animals as much freedom as possible, their quality of life is really important to us. As new owners we still have more work to do on a few of the enclosures but all our visitors can be assured that every spare penny will be spent here on the park and more work will be carried out when we close for the winter. I am so glad that your family enjoyed your day here and participated in all that the park has to offer. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review and your recommendation to others.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had an absolutely fantastic day out here last week.

The setting is beautiful with fantastic views. There was plently to keep us entertained throughout the day, including 2 museum exhibits, one about dinosaurs and one about ancient Eygpt.

Throughout the park there are open areas where the animals are not behind bars, like the Alpacas and the Wallabys (I fed a wallaby - extra charge of 50p) and there are numberous opportunities throughout the day to meet other animals, like the meerkats.

Other things I enjoyed:
-The sealion show
-The earthquake train ride
-The pet area with the ponies and chickens
and The dinosaurs which make move and make sounds on the hour every hour.

The park also offers experiences such as feeding lions or swimming with the sealions.
(I wanted to feed the lions but I lost track of time and missed out :-( )

I would recommend this attraction, as I had such a wonderful day.
However it is hilly, there are some very steep slopes and lots of steps. People with pushchairs or limited mobility may find it difficult to get to all areas of the park.

Also, the map we recieved at the front desk isnt very clear, we missed out on meeting the meerkats because it was so confusing.

Dawn G, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your full review and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your day so much. I will be looking at all the literature during the winter months and will evaluate the map we have at the moment as well as the signage around the park. It is also nice that you appreciated the lovely setting we have here. We know that the terrain can be difficult for some of our visitors but we would not have such a beautiful park if it were not for the valley. Thank you for recommending us.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The setting is really nice but i will say if you have small children, prams , or are getting on in years maybe not the best place for you. There are MILLIONS of steps, and i mean millions.They start from getting from the car park to the entrance.Even when there are no stairs there are very very steep inclines to navigate. The setting itself is quite pretty but the distances between each enclosure with all its steps can be quite tiring, and extremely difficult with prams etc or are maybe people who are not very sure footed. A few enclosures were not even open when we went and looked a little tired, the ones that were needed a lick of paint but all in all they were ok. The animals were great especailly the big ole lion and his brother lenny ;)...you can even pay to feed them... by hand lol. Was a very bab lack of toilets, and if going around site to see animals you had a huge amount of steps to climb to get to a toilet.The sealion show was amazing and the highlight of the park. The food was poor, choice nearly nothing and the staff sometimes a little blonde(sorry blondes) got our order wrong twice. The place does get very very busy and make sure the kids stand and look at the t-rex on the hour every hour lol. In all we had a nice day but for what is there it is very exspensive, you defo get more for your money at other places such as alton towers, and before any one says, yes i know its a different type of experience. Not bad, would maybe go again, should probably go and see at least once.

I am slightly confused as we do not have any steps coming down from the car parks, admittedly steep pathways but definately no steps. In previous years there were steps coming down from the first two car parks but we have had that entrance closed all year and now use the first car park for staff parking. I also think millions of steps may be a bit of an exaggeration as I think in total we have around 30 steps around the 30 acre site however I do appreciate that our terrain can be difficult for some visitors. I am also wondering whether you bought your food from the Oasis Deli as that only has a limited menu and we do have a Cafe with a fuller menu ranging from home made chillies, Bolognaises, Currys and Scampi as well as the normal Burger Meals and Hot Dogs. Unless of course it was last year that you visited the park (which would account for the steps from the car park) as I know that the cafe menu was more limited last year. I won't take offence at the 'blonde' remark (being one) but my apologies if the service was not up to scratch. I am glad that you had a nice day and you may be interested to know that as new owners we have already started work on upgrading a couple of enclosures and if you visit us again you may notice the improvements we have already made and will continue to do so in the winter months. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.