“...ok if you can walk..”

Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park
Ranked #6 of 38 things to do in Ilfracombe
More attraction details
Owner description: A wildlife park that demonstrates how life was for the dinosaurs.
crawley
“...ok if you can walk..”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We visited the park last week, with our two young children. Whilst our eldest at 20 months had a nice time unfortunatley we could not enjoy it as much as having to negotiate the various steep drops and climbs around the park with a double buggy. We were not the only ones struggling as parents with single pushchairs were having to push them around on the back wheels. There was no warning prior to entering the park that pushchairs could have difficulties. Especially having to paying full price for two adults, only one of us could view all the animals. Another dissapointment was the price verses quality of food, the under cooked and bland tasting baguette which a tired salad. Overall not the best investment of our holiday but some aspects were okay.

Visited July 2012
, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for your review, we appreciate it can be difficult for some people particularly with disabilities. The valley although stunningly beautiful causes the park to have some steep pathways which we do warn our visitors about on both the website and leaflet. Pushchairs are a difficult one as we do have a lot of visitors that get around absolutley fine. Therefore we feel that it is enough to pre warn our visitors that it is steep in places so that they can make their own decision on whether to visit us. However I appreciate that a double buggy with two young children takes a lot more effort than a single pushchair. I am sorry you did not enjoy your baguette. We have kept our prices as low as possible, on average our hot meals are £5.50 per head and £3.95 for a baguette, which I do not think is unreasonable. However thank you for your balanced review and I am sorry that your difficulties spoil your visit with us.

Warminster
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A complete rip off!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

After visiting this so called wildlife park I felt I must write a review and try and save anyone I can from wasting their time and money.
Dawn before you respond with an aggressive reply about your park may I suggest you listen to the comments and make some improvements.
False advertising would be an understatement!
My children were bored and disappointed to say the least and they are not hard to please I assure you.
The whole place needs a revamp its tired and dated.
Miserable looking staff and depressed looking animals.
A complete miss match of so called things to do that barley take five minutes to look at.
We were not the only unhappy visitors on this day
Compared to other attractions in the area this is not even worth mentioning, maybe you should visit them Dawn!

As for the cashier in the gift shop being rude and stinking of cigarettes not a good thing around children or anyone, totally unacceptable.
I suspect the positive reviews were not written by genuine visitors.

4 Thank Amee P
, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
I very nearly didn't bother responding to your comments. You seem to have taken the time to mention me by name twice in your review yet you did not take 5 mins to make any complaint here during your visit. In fact you have not really been specific about anything so maybe it's not the other reviewers that are not genuine!
What exactly were you expecting from your day? Every image on our leaflet has been taken on the park, so how can that be false advertising? We don't advertise gut wrenching rides or Disney type attractions. We are a Wildlife & Dinosaur Park with a few added attractions. What exactly bored your children? Looking at wildlife & Dinosaurs? Maybe you came to the wrong place. I know all the other attractions in this area very well, in fact some of the reviewers on their sites recommend us instead.This goes to show that different things appeal to different people and none of us can please everybody all of the time. What I do object to though is the lack of balance in your review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but your whole review is not constructive, insulting to myself, the park and to other visitors who have enjoyed their day here and taken the time and trouble to write reviews who you are accusing of not being genuine. Do you honestly think that everyone should have the exactly the same point of view as yourself? I don't like coffee but I don't expect everyone else not to drink it! How do you know there were other unhappy visitors on the park that day, I haven't noticed anyone doing market research here! I listen to all constructive critism, often I agree with it. If you had read the signs aound the park they mention that the park has been under new ownership since Feb this year and we are are aware that some of the attractions and enclosures need updating and the signs thank people for visiting us as it is their entrance money which will enable us to make the improvements. Did you see those signs? I have also mentioned previously that I also think that some of the attractions are rather acletic and that we will be changing some of them to fit in more with our theme of wildlife and Dinosaurs such as changing the train ride from a grand canyon theme to the melting of the ice age and incorporating bugs and snakes in the Egyptian Tomb. We will be replacing the lightshow as well. Please enlighten me as to what comments I am not listening to, I am more than aware of what improvements need to be made. However none of them warrant the extremely bad review you have written as it is only the odd thing around the park that needs improvement, not the entire park. You have not mentioned any of the new areas completed only a few months ago, our fantastic sealion show, the animal encounters where you can go into the enclosures, the beautiful tropical scenery, the Dinosaurs etc etc. Are you telling me that nothing was good at all! Really! I will defend this park when I feel that the review has not been objective and balanced. Of course I will, because you are unfairly trying to affect the income of this park that is used to care and feed all of our wonderful animals. Can I also point out that it is lack of knowlege that causes people to anthropomorphize animals which means to humanise their emotions such as saying they 'looked depressed'. I must tell our animals to laugh a bit more! We work really hard to provide the best diets, care, husbandry and enrichment for them all. Our staff are definately not miserable either, most visitors comment how friendly they are. I think I will leave it at that. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I do object to personal attacks on me, other reviewers, and our staff done in such an unwarranted malicious way. I am also really pleased that this is not the opinion of the vast majority of our visitors.
warwickshire
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Despite the rain we had a great day here”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband & I visited here recently & booked to feed the lions. We don't have any children so the dinosaur part did not excite us but as I am animal mad I like to visit these types of places where ever we go! Unfortunately, it rained all day but it didn't really affect our visit just made us a little damp. It is quite tough going as I have an injured knee but I was prepared as it does state this on the website. The lion feeding experience was great & we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - it was amazing to get so near to Leo & Lenny & so hard to resist touching them..(well for me anyway, the husband was abit more warey!) The staff were also really friendly & made it even more enjoyable. If we are in the area again we will definitely do this again & the price is very reasonable - highly recommended. All I need now is a lion whisker for my cat whisker collection :-)

4 Thank bazjosmith
I am really pleased you enjoyed your lion feeding experience and the bad weather didn't affect your visit. I always worry that rain can spoil our visitors day and I think the park looks particularly lovely in dappled sunshine especially in the valley. I doubt very much whether our lion keeper has come across any of their whiskers but if she does I promise I will try and get you one for your collection and contact you through this site.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day out and great value for money.”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Whilst having a holiday in North Devon we visited the Wildlife and Dinosaur Park. This is not the first time we've visited the park and knew what we were going into. The staff were very friendly and the place was very clean. For the size of place I found it great value for money and this included the cafe for lunch. There were a few new attractions from the last time we came and the owners are always looking to expand and improve on the existing site. I went with my wife and we're pretty fit. The reason I mention this, is for families you need to be prepared to walk and there are some steep hills. Efforts have been made to ease this for wheelchair/pushchairs but it is something to be aware of ahead of time. Well recommended, prfect for families and children.

Visited June 2012
I am really pleased you enjoy visiting us, I see you have taken some great photos! It can be a bit steep but if it was flat you wouldn't have the wonderful tropical valley and scenery so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts! Thank you so much for your recommendations to others. We aim to carry out improvements to the some of the enclosures and therefore our visitors entrance money will help us be able to do this. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Manchester
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Sorry we didn't visit this year...”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We came across this little beauty a few years back when visiting a local attraction. We are so glad we did!

We have nothing but compliments about Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park. It's truely a fantastic day out for both adults and children

The animals are looked after, which is a relief after some states we see other parks in. The hourly talks are also fantastic ...and give a true insight into their life in the wild

The little rides and other attractions around the park are amazing

Management should be very proud of everything they have achieved here

Unfortunately, we didn't visit this year due to the weather. I must say, in order to fully value your visit, you must go when the weather is good

We are back down holidaying in October and fingers crossed, we will visit here

Visited July 2011
1 Thank bulletwithwings1985
Thank you so much for your comments and your support. It is a shame you were unable to visit us earlier this year. The weather has been horrendous hasn't it? We look forward to seeing you in October.