“Great day out and great value for money.”

Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park
Ranked #5 of 39 things to do in Ilfracombe
More attraction details
Owner description: A wildlife park that demonstrates how life was for the dinosaurs.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day out and great value for money.”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Whilst having a holiday in North Devon we visited the Wildlife and Dinosaur Park. This is not the first time we've visited the park and knew what we were going into. The staff were very friendly and the place was very clean. For the size of place I found it great value for money and this included the cafe for lunch. There were a few new attractions from the last time we came and the owners are always looking to expand and improve on the existing site. I went with my wife and we're pretty fit. The reason I mention this, is for families you need to be prepared to walk and there are some steep hills. Efforts have been made to ease this for wheelchair/pushchairs but it is something to be aware of ahead of time. Well recommended, prfect for families and children.

Visited June 2012
, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
I am really pleased you enjoy visiting us, I see you have taken some great photos! It can be a bit steep but if it was flat you wouldn't have the wonderful tropical valley and scenery so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts! Thank you so much for your recommendations to others. We aim to carry out improvements to the some of the enclosures and therefore our visitors entrance money will help us be able to do this. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Manchester
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Sorry we didn't visit this year...”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We came across this little beauty a few years back when visiting a local attraction. We are so glad we did!

We have nothing but compliments about Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park. It's truely a fantastic day out for both adults and children

The animals are looked after, which is a relief after some states we see other parks in. The hourly talks are also fantastic ...and give a true insight into their life in the wild

The little rides and other attractions around the park are amazing

Management should be very proud of everything they have achieved here

Unfortunately, we didn't visit this year due to the weather. I must say, in order to fully value your visit, you must go when the weather is good

We are back down holidaying in October and fingers crossed, we will visit here

Visited July 2011
1 Thank bulletwithwings1985
Thank you so much for your comments and your support. It is a shame you were unable to visit us earlier this year. The weather has been horrendous hasn't it? We look forward to seeing you in October.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great FULL day out!!”
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Had read mixed reviews on this park. Very happy with my day out. Yes there was lots of hills, but allot of flat also. Filled our day up and my 3 year old loved it! Staff were lovely and although it rained all day it didn't make a difference to our day.

The sea lions were fantastic and got to have a picture kissing the sea lion after the show. It's through glass, but looks great.

negative points...
The light show was VERY basic and rather dull...I didn't quite understand the point!

This is a highly recommended day out! It's allot bigger than expected and very clean! xx

Dawn G, Owner at Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
I am so pleased you enjoyed your day despite the rain! If our visitors get involved with all the park has to offer with shows, encounters, talks and handling sessions they can enjoy a full day with us.Yes I agree with you about the lightshow although some visitors actually like it! As new owners we are considering turning it into an indoor education centre and animal handling arena.Thank you so much for your recommendations and for taking the time to write your review.
Dover, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Rainy day in Devon”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Spent a rainy morning at the DInosaur Park but it was good value for money, watch out for the steep hills!

The new owners are obviously trying to update the park and you can only wish them all the best, look forward to going back in the future and seeing what improvements have been made. All in all a good family day out

1 Thank JACQUELINE970
Thank you so much for your support, it is really important to us. We really appreciate your recommendations as our visitors entrance money will help us make all the changes we would like to make, particularly updating some of the primate enclosures which we aim to do when we close at the end of the season. It is always great to hear that visitors enjoy their day even in adverse weather conditions although I prefer it when its sunny!
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Ryan Family day out”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Just got back from an overall really enjoyable day out. The park is fun, welcoming, clean and friendly. The dinosaurs that wake up, on the hour every hour are great. We got there at 11:00 hours just as they were waking up and it scared the living daylights out of our 3yr old son, so much so he sought refuge in the car. Good idea keeping them in the enclosure, It could be a little too much if it surprised us on the way round.

He got over it and we went in. Yes the climb up and down is steep, (surprise surprise it’s the West Country) that said 80% of the nation are bordering obese so hey it’s good for you! Got me puffing and I am only overweight (but quite fit) so you need to be able to walk moderate hills. Hopefully it should shame people in to realising they need to LOOSE weight.

The Park is very well laid out, the paths are excellent, it’s very clean and the animals look happy. The Sea lion show is great and the host did a great job of keeping the audience engaged, whilst hopefully explaining some useful information on their wellbeing and behaviours.

The train journey was fabulous, funny and will for ever stay with me looking at my sons face light up thinking this really could be the end for me and Dad. Staff are lovely, not in your face. Thank god no Mac Donald’s or fast food chains.

Things for us that could be improved upon;

1. Set the lions free, (perhaps to terrorise the many obese people in the UK) build a small pool/play area in its place instead as it’s the most charming spot. It feels a shame to lock away the King of the Jungle
2. Do the same for the Wolfs
3. The light show is a little dated, scared the bejesus out of our son again, a minor point
4. More picnicking spots, many of us like to bring our own, also include the train journey in the price, make it free

I must say though, the 4 points are minor in comparison to the good aspects of the Park we would go back for sure.

The Ryan family.

1 Thank Sean R
Thank you for you review and I am so glad you had a great day. Love your suggestion about the Lions and the Wolves but unfortunately 'no can do' as much as I'd like to! However I will make a pledge that I will do it anyway if everyone releases their dogs and cats back in the wild instead of making them live in houses and eat mush out of tins which is not natural for them either!!
Totally agree about the lightshow. As new owners of the park since Feb this year we are looking at all the attractions here. However, surprisingly some visitors love it! However we are thinking about transforming it to an education centre and indoor animal handling center.I also agree your suggestion of more picnic tables and seating and that is already on our 'to do' list.
The only reason why the train ride is charged in addition to the gate money is because it is such a unique ride and the kids love it so much that on a busier day we would not be able to get all visitors on it throughout the day even if it ran continuously.This would then lead to compaints. Therefore the decision was taken to charge additionally for the train for those who want to go on it which does then restrict numbers. It does mention this additional charge on our leaflet.
Thank you so much for comments and for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to your return visit.I will personally look out to see how fit you really are!