“a lovely location for a light meal....”

Hele Corn Mill & Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Ilfracombe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: CASH ONLY. SEASONAL: Opening 24th March, 25 and 26th and then everyday from Friday 31st March til Monday 17th April for Easter. Then Friday, Saturday, Sunday and BH in rest of April, May, June, September and October. Everyday EXCEPT Saturdays in July and August. Please see our leaflets and website for clarification - or phone us. . Winner of the Devon Life "Best Tearoom in Devon Award" 2013, 2014 and 2015 and Highly Commended in Devon Tourism Awards 2016. 16th century working watermill about half a mile east of Ilfracombe Town centre in HELE (Combe Martin road A399). We are a family business, milling to produce flour for our mill-made cakes and for sale in the tearoom. We serve Devon Cream Teas including Devonshire Splits and Thunder and Lightning, and a wide variety of cakes made on the premises, many made from our flour. Our savoury items soup, sandwiches and savoury cream teas. At least one GF cake aways available and we will make GF/vegan scones if pre-ordered or not too busy. We do not sell main lunches or evening meals. Takeaway cream teas and cake available. Free entry to mill for unguided tours. Guided tours Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4.30pm chargeable. We endeavour to entertain our guests with puzzles and quizzes. Dogs welcome in tearooms and gardens although not in the mill itself. PARKING in Hele Bay Public Carpark (to left of Hele Bay Pub). Limited disabled parking - please phone in advance.We look forward to welcoming you to Hele Corn Mill. See our website for details or give us a ring.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Vegetarian friendly!

They made me a very tasty salad, and were very kind, friendly and helpful. Prices are very reasonable. They offer the local newspaper to read whilst one is waiting

There are tables and seats outside with a view of the water wheel turning.

My visit was to have a coffee and a little food, and I did not have time to visit the mill itself

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Interesting and tasty, great for kids, we loved the cake and very friendly.
I would definately go back again.

1  Thank Sam B
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I visited the tea room last Saturday and we were treated to a very warm welcome from Kathy. A great range of cakes on display and I found it difficult to choose which one to have first!

The tea room is nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. I am now looking forward to my next visit, which will hopefully be very soon.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We were sent here by a local while staying in Ilfracombe, promising us the best scones in the area, and we were not disappointed. We were served the biggest, tastiest scones, with the nicest home made jam I've ever had, and the thickest clotted cream. Add to that a pot of very nice tea, and a cafetiere of coffee, all served in the dappled shade of the tea garden, and we really could have stayed for ever. There was also a selection of homemade cakes, but we were so full of scone that we couldn't manage any, probably a good thing as I wouldn't have known which to choose, they all looked delicious:) Check when the tea rooms are open and make a point of visiting Kathy & Dave, you really won't be disappointed:)

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I love this place, and the cakes - they are amazing! I have not done the mill tour yet, but will do on my next visit :-)