“Lovely cream tea”

Hele Corn Mill & Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Ilfracombe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: CASH ONLY. SEASONAL: Opening 24th March, 25 and 26th and then everyday from Friday 31st March til Monday 17th April for Easter. Then Friday, Saturday, Sunday and BH in rest of April, May, June, September and October. Everyday EXCEPT Saturdays in July and August. Please see our leaflets and website for clarification - or phone us. . Winner of the Devon Life "Best Tearoom in Devon Award" 2013, 2014 and 2015 and Highly Commended in Devon Tourism Awards 2016. 16th century working watermill about half a mile east of Ilfracombe Town centre in HELE (Combe Martin road A399). We are a family business, milling to produce flour for our mill-made cakes and for sale in the tearoom. We serve Devon Cream Teas including Devonshire Splits and Thunder and Lightning, and a wide variety of cakes made on the premises, many made from our flour. Our savoury items soup, sandwiches and savoury cream teas. At least one GF cake aways available and we will make GF/vegan scones if pre-ordered or not too busy. We do not sell main lunches or evening meals. Takeaway cream teas and cake available. Free entry to mill for unguided tours. Guided tours Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4.30pm chargeable. We endeavour to entertain our guests with puzzles and quizzes. Dogs welcome in tearooms and gardens although not in the mill itself. PARKING in Hele Bay Public Carpark (to left of Hele Bay Pub). Limited disabled parking - please phone in advance.We look forward to welcoming you to Hele Corn Mill. See our website for details or give us a ring.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase
Cambridge, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Lovely cream tea”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We popped in here for a cream tea after reading the rave reviews on trip advisor!

The reviews were well founded as the cream tea was lovely. Warm scones, huge dollop of cream and lovely big pots of tea.

Two different ladies served us, one was lovely all sweet and a bit bumbly - perfect for a tea room! The other was very stressed out and borderline aggressive "Do you know what you want?" within a couple of minutes of sitting down and there being no menu?!

We didn't do the mill tour so can't comment on that.

Although I am happily recommending this place to others, I'd love to offer a teeny suggestion or two to the owners if I may...

- Extend the tea room, it's very small and crampt. You could fit in far more people and display all the lovely crafts far better if you extended the room.

- Make more of the tours. The reason we didn't do it is simply that we weren't given a reason to. No one who served us asked us if we wanted to do the tour, or told us anything about it. What a missed opportunity.

- Have a menu! I know you add fresh cakes and pies to it that vary but you must have a core base of things that stay the same, then you could just add a clearly displayed 'specials' board. Hey you could put it next to your (not yet existent) board enticing people to do the tour.

I have still given it a high score because the food was lovely and I'm sure that with a few tweaks this could be wonderful and make more money for the owners too.

Visited August 2013
Helemill, Owner at Hele Corn Mill & Tea Room, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hi IJW, I'm glad that the cream tea was to your liking. It sounds like you caught us on a busy day. Thank you for your suggestions which we will take on board. They touch on subjects which we discuss at length. The extending of the tearooms is a tricky one as they are only 15' away from a grade 2 listed building and any extension we might make has not only to be measured in the hastle of bureaucracy, how many cups of tea it will take to pay back ,our lack of local parking, the size of our Kitchen but also whether it will destroy the view and what we are trying to offer. If the Millers wife was serving with only one assistant, I know that the stress element would be there. We should have a note at the door recommending customers come to the counter to order because we might inadvertently take orders in the wrong order especially for those outside and in the top garden. My wife if she came over to you would have wondered how long you might have been there unseen - she does care. With regards to tours although one can navigate the Mill simply reading the text we prefer when possible for someone to guide you round. If we have no guides on we are reluctant to ask if people wish to see the mill as our signage has not yet been upgraded to what we consider self supporting without guidance. Our only menu is behind the counter outlining the set scones and drinks on offer, the cakes are different every day and may change during the course of the day hence why we like our customers to see up close saving disappointment if we have run out. The Millers wife arrives at the Mill at 7.00am and after a brief spell for tea is back making cakes until 10.30pm, 24/7. We are still relatively new to our existence in Devon and still try to run our previous life in London. We will get there with your forbearance and have been checking out timber structures at Rosemore gardens so that we can have a wet weather stop for dog walkers and those who might like a smoke out of the rain with their cup of tea and cake. We love our Mill and on a not too busy day hope that comes across, maximizing profit is not our goal but happy customers is, and for that I hope we can give better account of ourselves upon your next visit.

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Beautiful tea room in lovely settings with great food and service!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We travelled here in peak season and it was busy but the staff were great. Good knowledge of the product choice and could make recommendations. I had two young girls with me and they gave them colouring to do, very friendly and helpful.

Tea and scones lovely, would definately go back and recommend to others.

Hong Kong, China
435 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Beautiful setting; delicious homemade fare.”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We found this place on here, and we were delighted to have also been able to visit! So, well done everyone for the recommendation! The mill itself, and the grounds, provide a lovely backdrop to the food and drink. If it's a passable day then I suggest you make use of the gardens up the stairs, to the right of the mill, as they're great in warm weather. The staff were delightful: just the right side of chatty and informative, and they even gave children in others family parties toys to play with! The tea was good according to my girlfriend and, I can attest, the cake was sumptuous. Go for the chocolate one. A truly remarkable little place.

Visited August 2013
“Don't eat breakfast before you go!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have decided I need to visit every day for a week next year so that I can try everything on offer! Wonderful food and fantastic friendly service. The cakes and the cream tea are exceptionally good!

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Interesting and informative”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have been meaning to visit the mill the past couple of times we have stayed in Devon. I am glad we finally did, we all found the mill interesting the history and knowing that it is a working mill made it so much more special. The owner greeted us warmly even though she was busy baking in the kitchen in the tea room. She told us some of the history and we had the freedom to look around the mill. There is plenty of information all around. Now for the tea room lets just say if it was on the main road it would be packed all the time. The staff were friendly made you feel welcome, The tea was lovely the cakes and scones were all freshly made. I had Lemon surprise cake and it was totally yummy. Thanks it was the best I have had. If we get to Devon again we will certainly call at the mill.