“Excellent”
Review of Tunnels Beaches

Tunnels Beaches
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Where else can you spend the day on the beach and be amongst so much history.

If you buy the guide which is exceptional value not only can you enjoy the sun by sitting on the beach but explore the tunnels and pool and see how the Victorians did it!!

I love visiting the beach and a gentle walk up to the west end takes you away from the busy pool side and you can sit there and be the only person there its sheer bliss.

My wife also thinks that Robbie in the beach cafe makes the best mochacino in the whole world!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)
All reviews
in 29 reviews
"sunny day"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Tunnels Beaches is a stunning place! Once you walk through the tunnel, it's like being transported to another country. We visited on the royal wedding day in April, taking advantage of the bank holiday. We thought it was stunning, and the owners are putting a lot of money into making it even more stunning, with a new seafront wedding venue, and many other improvements. The history of the site is really interesting and the rockpools and the Victorian tidal swimming pool hold lots of interest for adults and kids alike.
I proposed to my Fiancee on the beach that day, and we booked our wedding date for the following year with Jamie at the new wedding venue. We returned in the summer to see the completed venue, and again in October, just 'cos we can't keep away and can't wait to go back again in the spring!
There is a cafe/bar and play area at the entrance which serves good food - I can personally recommend the fish-finger sandwich - it was huge and delicious!
I can envisage the venue getting hugely busy in future with several weddings a week, as it is such a unique and stunning place. They close off the wedding venue and 'Gentlemans beach', at the end of the first tunnel for weddings, but the separate 'Ladies Beach’ with the Victorian tidal pool and pump house remain open to the public, which is the main site of interest for day visitors.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

very good historical interest with unusual type of entrance to a beach attraction

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Took my little one on a cold wet and windy December day. Unlike other reviewers I didn't expect the beaches to be open given the weather and instead we had an awesome time in Play Hut. On the strength of this visit I will definitely be booking a birthday party soon. Wish I wasn't already married, this would definitely be my venue of choice! (perhaps one for renewing vows!)
A complete gem of a place that is surprisingly stylish for a kids play venue and the food it top notch too. I can't recommend it enough!

See more reviews
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is a valuble business in Ilfracombe, as a local who only lives up the road, my family and I use the facilities regularly.
In the summer we have a pass that we pay for in advance, which means we can use the beaches as much as we like, so getting a massive saving, as its a privately owned beach. (this i find a bonus as its clean and child freindly).
In the winter we love the cafe and great food, and soft play for the kids. Work is currently going on on the beaches, so they are closed for a couple of months I think. But with the wind and the cliff face I wouldnt want to be on the beach right now anyway.
As a family we also went to a wedding there in October, and honestly couldnt think of a more perfect location. We could use the beach and the fantastic new venue. The staff were brilliant and the food was wonderful. The bonus of all the natural beauty made it just perfect for our friends wedding day.
Im one very happy returning customer. :)