“Amazing food, in a not so obvious location”
Review of Basils - CLOSED

Basils
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tel No. 01271 862823 email - lindsay.basils@yahoo.co.uk
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The food and service was amazing, I am very glad that we went there for my mum's birthday, she very much enjoyed it, i can recommend this to everyone who can cope with the steep hill!

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We had a lovely meal at Basils over the bank holiday weekend. The only downside was that we were the only couple in the restaurant. Perhaps the torrential rain kept people away, I cant think why else it would be so quiet. I would go there again and recommend this place to my friends.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is a lovely small homely restaurant, where the informality is enhanced by the welcome from Lindsay as you enter the door

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The night before it had been busy. We were the only customers. Warm welcome, nice setting, atmospheric music. Lots of people looked at the menu then walked on. I don't expect 'house wine' to come from grapes in the back garden but 'pate maison' is a different matter- was it 'maison tesco'? I expected home made!
Sweet potato soup- nicely spiced, thai chicken curry did the business, but Moules Marinieres cooked in more than a pint of creamed 'liquid' meant that those poor little mussels that were at the bottom of the pot were well and truly stewed by the time I got to them. I would have thought 300ml- hopefully wine or cider- plus some cream would have produced a more concentrated and tasty liquor
A pleasant enough evening- but I'd think twice about going back

1  Thank taff515
BasilIlfracombe, Owner at Basils, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

I'm very sorry to read your review as it it is quite far from the truth! Our pate IS homemade, I suppose we could take it as a complement that you presume it was bought, however we are sorry that you wrote this without asking at the time!! In fact only last night we had a customer say it had to be homemade as it was so tasty, still everyone to their own.

Your comment on the mussels was totally misleading our moules mariniere are cooked in a sauvignon blanc white wine ( off our wine list not a cheap wine) with cream added at the end of cooking. If we indeed used a pint of wine we would make no profit on the dish!! All I can suggest is that the traditional mussel pots that we use are quite deep so that there appears to be more liquid & if you took your time eating them they carry on cooking as the pots hold their heat. I have to say we have so many customers praise them we were very surprised at your comments & I felt compelled to reply.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Basils should be in the top 10!!!! Booked there at Easter and had a wonderful meal. The service was excellent and the food sublime and it was reasonably priced. This was our 2nd visit and we will definately go again when next in Ilfracombe. In fact if we are anywhere within 20 miles we would consider the drive well worth while!

1  Thank harranold