“Great doggy weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
Widmouth Farm Cottages
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Had a weekend away with the dogs and friends with dogs, we were all put into three cottages connected, humans and dogs had a whale of a time, great location, made very welcome by owners who also welcomed the dogs, 5 in total. Other places we inquired to made us feel a little uncomfortable with so many dogs. Girls even spent Monday morning feeding the farm animals.
Will go again

Room Tip: The round barn was spacious and unusual, with everything you need.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Elizabeth_Sansom, Owner at Widmouth Farm Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Sorry we just missed the top mark for cleanliness but we are now in the midst of spring cleaning and renovations prior to the Easter 2013 arrivals and that will ensure we get rid of any cobwebs etc. We always make special efforts when cottages have had dogs present too. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Enjoyable holiday with family. Excellent location. The granddaughters loved the animals and play facilities. I enjoyed swimming at the cove while the children played on the beach. Facilities ok to good - one or two very minor niggles but nothing, I'm sure, that isn't in the process of being dealt with. Thank you for a peasant stay in a lovely place

Room Tip: We stayed in the Woodpecker Lodge. I have no knowledge of the other accommodation, except that they...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth_Sansom, Owner at Widmouth Farm Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Thank you for all you said. As I was away myself I will be checking up on what the 'minor niggles' were and seeing if we can correct them and improve. We do constantly have a long wish list and tend to do the 'quick fixes' as we go along, every Friday, but bigger things get done between October & March when we are quieter. Kind regards Elizabeth

Reviewed August 16, 2012

After reading other comments about furniture, TVs and decor, I feel a bit sorry for the holidaymakers who didnt utilise the AMAZING location and the fresh sea air!! The weather for ourselves was on and off, but the way I see it, you have to make the most of every minute!!
We booked the accomodation online which was quick and easy to do.
We stayed in the Robin cottage (1 double) and my sister in law, her partner and 13 year old daughter in the Martin cottage (1 double 1 single). Between us we had three dogs (ourselves a small pug x bichon frise, and the other a springer and chihuahua) and both cottages had plenty of space. Very clean and cosy, lots of cups, plates and kitchen utensils and the bed was lovely and comfy. We did not have a garden but who needs it with such vast walking space and outdoor seating in all areas of the grounds?! There is also a dog exercise field, a long coastal path and private beach where dogs can be let off leads at their owners discretion. The Martin cottage did have a small outdoor garden which we did use often on the warmer nights.
On arrival there was a lovely welcome note, some home made cupcakes and a brilliant red book that Jeremy and Elizabeth had compiled full of information about the farm, history, animals and local information. This book was excellent as gave us ideas for exploration.
All the animals are fab; would be a brilliant place to bring children of any age as they are all friendly, especially the hand reared sheep who love nothing more than a good scratch behind the ears!!
I only have the teeny, tiniest of complaints (if you could even call it that) and that is to have two doors keys and not the one... This is only because we were stupid enough to lock ourselves out!! We only realised this after a few in the pub and we arrived back pretty late at night (or very early in the morning depending how you look at it...). Fortunately for us we bunked with the family in the other cottage but if not we would have taken it upon ourselves to sleep in the car as would have felt uncomfortable going to ask for a spare key at that hour. On the flipside, in the morning Jeremy was very gracious and gave us a spare key immediately.
A fabulous week, met some lovely people and had a great time. Would 110% recommend staying here and would definitely be looking in to coming back next year.

Room Tip: If you are coming as a couple and looking to be out and about most of the time the one bed is plenty...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your fabulous review. We are so glad that you were so happy with your choice of holiday! Regarding the key, we have plenty of keys for each cottage andusually do leave 2 available on arrival - sorry for the oversight - but thank you for bunking down with your friends and not waking us up in the 'wee small hours' for a spare key! That was so very considerate of you!! We hope to see you again. Kind regards, Elizabeth & Jeremy

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We spent 5 days at Widmouth Farm last week, my wife, myself and Roger our Cocker had a wonderful time there. Each morning my wife walked around with Jeremy and the other children feeding the animals and loved it. Being early on arrival we went down to the private beach and spent a couple of hours meeting a lovely family. This great start to the stay continued throughout our time there. We were in Swallow cottage which was cosy but plenty of room for us, we had everything we needed and loved our stay there. A beautiful quiet place with Ilfracombe down the road. If we head doewn to Devon again we would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth_Sansom, Owner at Widmouth Farm Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

How terrific to hear that despite the inclement weather you enjoyed your holiday so much! We really appreciate what you wrote and hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Visiting England with our grandchildren we hired the Kingfisher cottage. The owner Elizabeth was friendly and helpful during the booking and arrival.
The location is fairly good - shame the weather didn't match the location.
However there are a number of comments that need making.
I have stayed in many accommodations in quite a few countries but these cottages are by FAR the SMALLEST I have ever seen (except for a hut on the beach we had in the South China Sea)
A slightly overweight person would need to crawl over the double bed because I think there is less than a foot between the end of the bed and the wall.
Looking at the normal prices charged for the accommodation, apart from expecting a larger accommodation for the price, I would expect somewhat better furniture and not what seemed to be the cheapest in electric and electronic items. Most everything seems to have been done on a limited budget.
The small glass CRT TV badly needs replacing with a modern TV .. they are cheap enough these days.
The TV channels were WELSH not ENGLISH - very strange :)
Related to all other places I've visited in the world (also UK) around this price range, I'd expect a bit better.
It's obvious the size of the cottages now can't be changed without major modifications, however the inside really need to be changed/upgraded.
Although in general we enjoyed the short vacation, I'm not sure that I'd recommend it to friends.

At their normal prices, I felt value for money was missing.

I was hesitating between giving an AVERAGE or POOR rating .. but gave it benefit of the doubt - because of the location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank David H

I am so glad we were friendly and welcoming to you and sorry that there were aspects of your holiday that you felt disappointed with. Some are obviously in our control and we have a long list of upgrading that we are gradually working through. However, other points would require a magic wand and I haven't found one that works yet! It is out of our control that our TV signal comes from Wales as we are situated on the coast and that is the most direct signal. Having said that, only occasional programmes on one channel are actually in Welsh. Also we cannot change the size of the rooms and double beds need to be a standard length, however we will note your comment about the double bedroom and probably remove the 4 poster bed which will make it seem bigger. Rest assured that all the other items you mention are on the list to be changed as we earn the money to do so. We continue to be completely honest with our customers about the standard of our cottages and the furniture and the photographs are accurate, the descriptions too and the grading by the AA does indicate that we are 3* rather than 4 or 5 star. So we regret that you felt disappointed but thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Just returned from a 6-day break at Widmouth Farm, staying in Kingfisher Cottage with my 3-year old son and 80-year old mother. I cannot fault this place. The cottage had everything we needed and the environment was very peaceful and relaxing. Jeremy and Elizabeth's passion for their animals really shines through and it was great to see how not just the children, but everybody, responded to that. Theres plenty to see and do in the area, and Woolacombe Beach, one of the finest expanses of sand in the world I believe, is about 15 minutes drive away. Theres no shortage of great beaches in north Devon though, of course. Widmouth also seems to have its own microclimate, meaning that despite reports of terrible weather elsewhere it was mostly warm and dry all week. Would recommend this place to anyone, but particularly parents of pre-schoolers.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth_Sansom, Owner at Widmouth Farm Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

It is lovely when a holiday works for all 3 generations, as it clearly did for you! Thanks for posting the lovely photos too. We never get bored with the wonderful views here either.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I first visited Widmouth farm cottages back in 80s as a child with my parents; I have such fond, happy memories of the place that I decided to book it for my first family holiday (Husband and 7 month old twin girls - and my Mum for support!) We stayed in the same cottage from all those years ago - Martin Cottage!

The views are stunning, the private beach amazing and the cottage brilliantly equipped.

This is my 4th visit and it never disappoints. Elizabeth and Jeremy's attention to detail is outstanding and they have thought of so much that it makes coming away with my babies relaxing - despite the teething!
Looking forward to the next visit!

Room Tip: All the cottages are fab in their own unique way!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth_Sansom, Owner at Widmouth Farm Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

It was lovely to meet you and I am pleased that the small cottage worked for you, even though you had the twins and all the equipment babies need. It is lovely that this trip brought back so many happy memories for you! Next time you come the girls will be able to enjoy feeding the animals as well as playing on the beach!