“Home from home”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

SuzyQ108
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
Reviewed 3 weeks ago for a stay in July 2018

Lovely top floor flat - thankfully, there is a lift. (The lift shaft has taken a chunk out of the second bedroom, but it is a price worth paying - no-one wants to lug suitcases up three flights of stairs!) Very clean and welcoming on arrival, the "welcome pack" is a huge bonus, as was the discovery of stuff left behind by previous holidaymakers NOT cleared out by the cleaners. This meant that there were things like oil, condiments, tinned veg, washing up liquid, laundry detergent, etc, making life much easier. I later discovered that we were actually encouraged to leave/replace this kind of thing - SO much better than arriving to find cupboards stripped bare. Paul and Chris, the owners, are friendly and approachable, and very helpful.

The main bedroom is lovely, the second bedroom is a little more "compact and bijou" courtesy of the aforementioned lift shaft. But the beds were comfy, and the wardrobe space is in the cupboard on the landing right next door, so perfectly liveable for a week. My only TINY gripe is that, as I am only 5 ft tall, I couldn't see in ANY of the mirrors and had to ask to dry my hair and put my make up on in the front bedroom, (used by my son, daughter in law and toddler grandson).

The balcony is a huge bonus: we spent almost every evening out there, with a glass of wine, looking at the harbour. Breakfast out there was lovely, too (we were very lucky with the weather). Pretty pots of flowers were watered happily by Small Grandson every day. The kitchen is very well equipped, the sitting room is comfy and well stocked with books, games, dvds, the cupboard on the landing is a treasure trove of things you might only need once, like the iron and ironing board, and "Henry" - it really IS a home from home.

Parking is a slight problem; the spaces outside are at a premium, and get snapped up very quickly. The solution is to contact the Tourist Information Office before your stay and ask for a parking permit which is valid for several long-stay car parks in town (and elsewhere). We paid just over £20 for a week's parking. (The Ringo car parking app will also cover you for a week, but I don't know how much that costs). We parked in Oxford Grove, 5 mins away, and a stiffish pull uphill off the High St, but everywhere is uphill, in Ilfracombe! The Ropery car park is nearer, but not covered by the permit. Fore St is rapidly becoming a bit of a "foodie" part of town, the restaurants here are pricier than elsewhere, but are very good. A few minutes stroll down to the harbour will take you to pubs and restaurants not quite so "fancy" but still excellent.

Ilfracombe is a good base to explore the surrounding area; Woolacombe, (enormous beach) is only a few mins away by car; there are National Trust places to explore; gardens; pretty villages, everything you could want. It is also full of interesting restaurants, several art galleries, a nice harbour (with its own little beach), some great little independent shops, a couple of fabulous ice cream shops and all the usual seaside shops. Check out the Tunnels beaches - you have to pay to go in, through the hand carved tunnels, but it is worth it. As the tide goes out, sea gets trapped by a rock formation to form a safe, fairly shallow, swimming pool, ideal for families to play in. This is on the "Ladies Beach" - the "Gentlemen's Beach" was shut the day we went, for a wedding. Not golden sand, more tiny tiny shingle, but still perfectly possible to make sandcastles.

The flat is in a perfect position, not very far from any of the amenities - halfway between the High St and the beach/harbour. I heartily recommend it.

Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Germany
Reviewed November 2, 2012 for a stay in August 2012

Check in / front desk
Holland
Reviewed September 6, 2012 for a stay in June 2012
person found this review helpful

Recommended for:

Your age range 45-54
Solihull
Reviewed October 20, 2011 for a stay in August 2011

Check in / front desk Service
Traveling group: Family with young children
Your age range 35-44
Leicester
Reviewed August 25, 2011 for a stay in June 2011

Check in / front desk Service
Traveling group: Family (extended)
Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing