and 1 more site!
Varley House
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at Varley House for a weeks stay. We found Rod and Helen very friendly and very helpful with attention to detail. Varley House was very clean and tidy with a warm feeling. Our room (No1) had the extra wow factor of a lovely sea view.
The breakfasts were lovely with a good choice to choose from. Everything that you want from a B&B and much more.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
varley13, Owner at Varley House, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

It was really great to meet you both, and when we come back visiting in Alton, we will give you a call and come and visit the football club.
We really look forward to greeting you back to Ilfracombe

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at Varley House for one night when visiting family. My son and I were welcomed with a cup of tea. Our room had a fab view with a big bay window over looking the ocean and was very comfortable. Thoroughly enjoyed the cooked breakfast. Another plus was that our little dog was welcomed. Would definately recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
varley13, Owner at Varley House, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for your great comments. It was good to meet you all, and glad that the weather held well for the wedding you attended.
It would be great to welcome you back if ever you are in the area again. Contact us for any special deals

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here before going over to Lundy. The hotel immediately struck me as very welcoming as Rod, the owner brought me tea and biscuits in the garden before showing me my lovely room. Everything was immaculate in my room (8) with everything you could reasonably want in a B&B available for breakfast although the prospect of a ferry trip discouraged me from taking full advantage. An added bonus was that my car was well looked after in Rod's care while I was on the island. Thank you and I'll be back!

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank judithe53
varley13, Owner at Varley House, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Judith
We are pleased that you had a good time on Lundy Island and the weather certainly helped to make your stay really good.
Thank you for the nice comments and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at Varley House for two nights before and after a trip to Lundy Island for a wedding. Rod and Helen made us very welcome and went out of their way to accomodate us.The rooms were pleasant and clean and the location is very quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: We understand some en suites are being upgraded. If power showers are important then ask which are a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathy N
varley13, Owner at Varley House, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. We like to treat our guests as we would like to be treated, and especially after your journey back from Lundy, Only thought it was right that we provided service/food for you on your return.
If ever you are back again in this area, especially on a short break, we would love to see you again. Give us a call.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked this at last minute when we decided to go away for the weekend. We booked the family room and wasn't disappointed on arrival. This is a really nice place to stay. It is very clean and has a really good welcoming atmosphere. Our room was really comfortable and spacious. Good size ensuite
with plenty of tea and coffee in room. The food is of a very good standard with plenty of options. I would definitely recommend a stay here and good for families and couples alike. I will be more than happy to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013
varley13, Owner at Varley House, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you all for choosing us at the last minute. It was pleasing to meet you all, and to help you make your weekend an enjoyable stay, although I am sure the weather helped as well.
We are glad that you enjoyed our recently refurbished family room, and enjoyed our breakfast selection.
We would love to see you all again

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Just returned from a holiday where we stayed at Varley House before travelling on to Lundy Island. There is no doubt that when we return to Ilfracombe we will be staying there as the owner was so hospitable and friendly. The rooms are extremely clean and catered for all our needs. We had the full English breakfast and there was plenty of other choices.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
varley13, Owner at Varley House, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Really pleased you enjoyed your stay, and it was great getting to know you. Was also interesting to find that I worked previously with your nephew, who has been in e-mail contact since your stay.
So glad you enjoyed your time and on Lundy island and if ever you are back this way again we would love to see you

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is my second visit to Varley House - I travel a lot on business and stayed here back in January, having picked it on the strength of the Tripadvisor reviews. On my second visit, I didn't even bother looking anywhere else; the Varley House will be my destination for any future visits.

I had a bit more time to spare on this visit and spent a pleasant hour reading in the very comfortable and quiet lounge area. On my previous stay I somehow missed the fact that there's a bar at the back of the lounge, fully stocked with a cracking range of drinks, including Laphroaig. That's another reason to return: proper whisky, that is!

I can't add much more to my previous review except to say that you won't find a warmer, more friendly welcome anywhere. It's a terrific option for business travellers like myself, or for families - the B&B is located opposite a nature reserve and I ended up wandering around some of the paths and ambling down to town on the morning of my departure...in fact, I got a bit carried away taking photographs of the lovely town and sea views and wandering in the warm morning air and nearly ended up being late for a meeting as a result! Talking of which, if you're a photographer visiting this photogenic part of the British coast then the owner has got some great tips on the best places to go for some dramatic scenery.

Thanks again, Rod, for a terrific stay and another cracking breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CotswoldFish
varley13, Owner at Varley House, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you once again for your great comments, and your use of the bar and lounge this time. As we like to provide the service that both we and you expect, we are glad that you have been pleased with our service, and will be pleased to welcome you back again, if ever you come to visit Ilfracombe again