“What a gem!”

Take Thyme Fish Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 118 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located not 50 yards from Ilfracombe Harbour, Take Thyme Restaurant provides fresh local fish, Exmoor steak and home-made dishes. We also have vegetarian and gluten free options.
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was stood outside in the morning, before it opened for the day and telephoned to make a reservation. On answering, I was invited inside by the owner to make a booking. She saw me stood outside! She then proceeded to tell me that the menu was changing to reflect the days catch and she didn't want us disappointed. That secured our booking there and then!

It's location and proximity to the harbour gurentees the pick of the days catch.

Considering the owners are self-taught, they have created a wonderful restaurant with a really conducive atmosphere that mixes first timers like us with more regular clientele.

It was really good to see front of house relaying feedback immediately back to the kitchen.

The team were tremendously proud of their locally-sourced produce.

I would highly recommend this gem to all lovers of british seafood. We will be going back again and again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ian S

Andover, United Kingdom
“The highlight of our weekend: Brilliant food and service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

After persevering with the inclement weather all day on our weekend in Ilfracombe we had little expectations for a decent meal on the Saturday evening. We walked into the ‘Take Thyme Fish Restaurant’ and were immediately greeted in a warm and welcoming way. We were served by Tara and Ros. The atmosphere was friendly and funny. We ordered the suggested wine, which was a light sparkling Portuguese white. It was something we did not know, but it went so well with our meal. We ordered crab cakes, sardines, scallops and sea bass. We love our seafood and we were not disappointed. The food was great! Dining at the Take Thyme was the highlight of our stay in Ilfracombe. Thank you so much.

• Visited May 2014
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Pretty average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

OK, this place is a fish restaurant, so I guess that I should not really expect it to cater for vegetarians. The one offering is a limp bit of veggie tart, that is distinctly underwhelming. Nice potatoes though...

The thing that really did put me off this place was the stink of frying, and billowing smoke from the kitchen, so much so that the outside door had to be opened to let it dissipate.

My wife liked her fish.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank blucat21
UK
“Good food Good atmosphere and ok price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We had very good time at Take Thyme. The restaurant has a relaxed atmosphere the service is good.
The food was good cooked in a simple way but tasty however we found it a bit over priced.
We tried the mussels...a must if you visit this place.
And as many of the reviewers have mentioned the brownie is delicious!
Will I come back? Yes for the service. .so we would probably have the brownie and leave ;-)

1 Thank gemini22Uk
“Four and a half really”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went old school - decided to go here cos it looked nice! Starters were good - nice flavours but scallops were a bit sandy. Main courses were absolutely spot on, I had a beautifully delicate Thai inspired sea bass and my wife loved the sesame crusted hake. Sides were great too. Deserts were a little odd but tasted fantastic (my brownie was more like a brilliant chocolate mush!). So, three courses plus coffees and a bottle of wine - £66, very reasonable. Service (very friendly and comfortable) might be a problem if you're in a hurry and it looks a bit like a lunchtime sandwich cafe but the food is genuinely fab.