“Excellent food let down by service.”

Take Thyme Fish Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 118 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located not 50 yards from Ilfracombe Harbour, Take Thyme Restaurant provides fresh local fish, Exmoor steak and home-made dishes. We also have vegetarian and gluten free options.
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Excellent food let down by service.”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We arrived for my Husbands birthday dinner early evening and thought it to be a lovely little restaurant. The dining room was nicely decorated and tidy with its candles and clean table linen. We ordered a bottle of wine which arrived already unscrewed and we were not offered a taste first. As we relaxed into the evening the staff moved another couple and begin to shift tables around ruining the atmosphere slightly.I had the scallop starter and my husband had the crab cakes which were both beautifully cooked albeit a bit small. The staters could have done with a little more even if it was a small piece of bread and a bit of dressing for the salad leaves. For main, I ordered Sea Bass with veg and potatoes, my Husband ordered a medium steak with veg and chips. My fish arrived promptly with my potatoes and my husbands steak arrived soon after, his chips however did not arrive. We asked the server when the chips would arrive and she said she had mixed up our order with another tables and given them his chips, but she assured us he would get some in a couple of minutes. He in response left his steak to go with his chips and waited. I ate my fish which I could not fault, it was cooked wonderfully and complemented by the new potatoes. My husband however received his chips 15 minutes later and his steak was cold. It felt like we were being mildly avoided by the staff thereon. His steak was more well done than medium, was cold with hot chips and was dry as there was no sauces to go with it. On a good note the meat was of excellent quality. We both felt that the veg could have been better, we had approximately two florets of brocolli and several slices of carrot. On paying the bill we were offered no reduction or a compensatory coffee for the main course mix up (no fault of ours) so we felt we should ask. They agreed to let us off around £2.50 which I felt wasn't enough as my husbands main was cold with no offer of a replacement dish at the time. Although the server had apologised, we both felt that they should have done more to placate us as they had got our order wrong and caused us to not enjoy our meal, there seemed to be no understanding of how to look after the customer. It ruined our evening and left us feeling unspecial as customers, with many other restaurants to choose from we will try somewhere else next time.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank carla b

“Really lovely food.”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I have eaten at take thyme on a number of occasions, and each time it is just as good as the last. The food is fresh and local and is cooked to a high standard. Tara is lovely and always provides great service!

London, United Kingdom
“QUIRKY FISH CAFF”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Excellent food, really nice people, not very expensive and would go again. Restaurant itself is very clean but smallish and no frills, basically looks like posh caff but that's ok with us as food and nice owners more than make up for that. Def go again

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A Gem”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We visited twice whilst on holiday and on both occasions the food was excellent. I wouldn't class myself as a fish lover but I was converted. Everything was beautifully cooked and so fresh. The owners are a delight. Tara is so friendly and knowledgeable and John’s cooking really does the fish justice. The specials board changes to reflect what’s available from the local fishing boats. It’s a shame that the fish has to go to Bideford before coming back to the restaurant. The joys of European rules!! We would recommend Take Thyme to anyone. It would be advisable to book as the restaurant is very small but this adds to its charm.

• Visited July 2011
Reading
“Fabulous fresh fish dishes!”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I shared 2 starters - scallops and thai fishcakes! All I can say is yummy!! He followed with sea bass and I had hake! The food was excellent _ I only wish we had a restaurant like this nearer to where we live!
The food tasted fresh and the owner was very friendly and took time to chat to all her customers. Well worth a visit!