“Another good stay”

Ranked #35 of 53 Ilfracombe B&B and Inns
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Another good stay”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed here two nights each side of a two week holiday on Lundy. The owners were very helpful letting us leave our car in their car park for the two weeks. Good rooms very comfortable. Breakfasts very good.
We only stayed one night each time but would happily stay here for a week's holiday. It is dog friendly and at least three dogs were staying while we were there but we wouldn't have known if we hadn't seen them in the morning. No noise or smell.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

A very friendly and helpful business run by Alison and Graham. We were staying there due to walking the Coastal path with my Jack Russell and the owners were very accommodating with arrival and departure arrangements. Some places say they are pet friendly but this place lives up to the statement. Plenty of advice given on local restaurants for us to use to re-fuel after a days walking! A massive full English on offer which definitely needed a days walking to burn off!
Would certainly recommend this as a place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Alison P, Owner at The Sherborne Lodge, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This B&B is very very friendly. It's very clean and doesn't smell like an old people's home witch someone has said already. We have just come back from here over the weekend. Tv's are not small but the right size for the room. Free wifi. Great breakfast. It doesn't smell of dogs. I do no what dog smell is like, and this places doesn't smell of it. Yes I have a dog, but if you keep your dog clean and house very clean you don't get this dog smell witch some people think they can smell. It's cheap to if you want to stay for two nights witch me and my partner wanted to do. Friendly owners. And no you don't need to change the toilet brush witch this other person has said as well. Some people really have sad lives by making silly little comments on here about dog smell, tv's, bog brush. These are just silly sad people tbh. Over all I would come back with my dog an time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your response, I am happy when my guests are happy
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Excellent location, really friendly owner who was able to make lots of suggestions on places to go and things to see. Lovely breakfast - so filling, no lunch necessary! 5 minutes away from the centre of town and the seafront. Room very clean. Parking a bit tight, but room for enough cars.

• Stayed September 2013
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and 5 year old for two nights in August. We booked The Sherborne Lodge as there was little availability elsewhere and the place was reasonably priced. What also appealed was that the family room we had had a separate room for our daughter - privacy!! On arrival, the greeting from the owners is warm and helpful - they took our bags up for us and talked us through the amenities and local attractions. Throughout our stay they were friendly and helpful and dealt well with our requests.

In terms of the place itself, if you come looking for faults you will find them. The bedspreads, headboard, curtains and rattan furniture are all from another decade. The loo brush while clean...meh! Style aside, it was all pretty comfortable and equipped with tvs in both rooms, kettles, hairdryers and wifi. There was no iron and ironing board although they lent us one. The mattress and pillows were a little hard for my liking but then that's a personal preference.

I'm a relatively fussy vegetarian and at breakfast I had options and they dealt with me asking for things to be done a certain way well. Overall the breakfast was good although I did feel the fruit salad could look a bit more appetising.

In terms of overall facilities - there is a guest room with pool table and tv downstairs as well as a separate room where guests can eat takeaways. Another reviewer has commented on there being a smell and I would agree that there is a general smell of cooked food throughout the downstairs areas. I'm not sure that this could be helped. I do think though that the overfull ashtrays outside the entrance would be emptied more often - not a lovely sight!

The bottom line is always would you stay again. We would if we were in the area for a couple of nights. Overall, it's pleasant and comfortable with welcoming hosts which at the end of the day is really the most important thing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Althrough these are friendly and helpful people...the breakfasts are lovely....
but please don't just stand around looking at us all the time to see if we are finished yet...slightly off putting sometimes.....the rooms are ok...small tvs....
But sadly the sink and shower could do with a brush around taps and over flow...which had dry green mould in it....so I cleaned it myself.
And for all of you that asked when you get clean towels.....we got them on the four night...even through they were wet throw and dirty on the shower tray floor on day one...One man helped himself....haveing said all this ...it could be a lovely place to go if deep cleaned and a bit more thought.

Room Tip: Ask about everything that matters to you....just check!