“Ask for a taster menu if chef can he is most accomodating and its brilliant”
Review of La Gendarmerie

La Gendarmerie
Ranked #22 of 120 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Ask for a taster menu if chef can he is most accomodating and its brilliant”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We booked the table but couldn't make a decision on what to have, chef gave us a tasting menu which was absolutely delicious. The Fishcake was so tasty, the smoked salmon was a work of art that tasted just as good as it looked and the duck was so succulent. We had seven course in total and they were all beautiful.

This has got to be one of the best restaurants in North Devon. We will definitely be going again!

• Visited May 2013

“Fantastic meal - cannot recommend highly enough!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We came across this restaurant on Trip Advisor during a recent stay in Ilfracombe....I'm sooo glad we did!
Fantastic food, service & very reasonably priced. If we lived closer I'd be here weekly. Better than The Quay & any other restaurant I've tried in Ifracombe

Evesham, United Kingdom
“Three first class courses”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a fabulous place which I cannot recommend highly enough. The restaurant itself is cosy and intimate and the service was friendly and flawless. The menu is simple - three choices for each course and the price is set - £29.50 for three courses, around £25 for two courses. For starter, my lobster bisque was hearty and deeply delicious. Main of roast chicken with a creamy cep sauce was tender and comforting. Dessert was plate-lickingly wonderful - a smooth and rich chocolate truffle with a caramel sauce and hazelnut praline. The accompanying popcorn ice-cream was creamy and delicious, but I didn't get the popcorn flavour. My companion's meal was equally without fault - not often you can say that, is it? We would definitely eat here again, without hesitation.

ilfracombe
“Top of the class”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Food is of a very high standard and qualitity.The service was excellent.The menu was extensive as was the wine list and really good value.What more can I say ,will definitely be back!!

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Simply the best restaurant in Ilfracombe.”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We booked this restaurant on our last night in Ilfracombe. The food was exquisitely presented, imaginatively designed, tasted superb and served professionally. Added to that the music was good, the wine was excellent, the seats comfortable and the food ready at the appropriate times. I liked the fixed price menu, its so convenient and not something seen outside London. I am just sorry I am not in town to go again!