“My favourite restaurant in the UK”
Review of La Gendarmerie

La Gendarmerie
Ranked #7 of 124 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This place is an absolute gem. We went recently during a visit back to see family and were really excited by their menu in the window - pig's trotter croquette on a truffle mayonnaise!!! It certainly lived up to expectations and then some. Excellent food, excellent service, excellent decor and we loved that when we went back the following week, there was a new and exciting menu. They remembered us and offered us a drink on the house and gave us as much home-baked bread as we could eat. Literally. Just so sad it is so far away, but it will always be our first stop whenever we are back in Illfracombe. An absolute must!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Me and my fiancée were in Ilfracombe for a wedding, whilst Ilfracombe isn't particularly for us, this restaurant is a little gem! Its not massive but your not hemmed in. From the moment we stepped in we knew it was going to be good, the waitress was incredibly attentive (From beginning to end!)and gave us an option of tables. The menu options are small but I quite like that, 2 courses were £24 I think but we had 3 courses for £29, the portion sizes's are not big but I left feeling I had eaten enough though big eaters perhaps make sure you eat more of the yummy bread they give you! The food is truly amazing, my starter was the best starter I have ever had, there is a bit of a wait for food but again I would rather wait and get freshly prepared food that was to die for.
I would advise booking but I highly recommend that you go!!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely meal here during our stay in Croyde Bay. The food was superb and excellent value for money. The pigs cheeks were cooked to perfection and I loved the "Devon Cream Tea" dessert of clotted cream pannacotta and strawberry sorbet with scone crumbs.

The wine list is fairly short but has a good selection of wines and we enjoyed a Chilean Carmenere with our meal.

Excellent service throughout and an extremely enjoyable evening.

1  Thank FMLJ
Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a find.

I could sit here all afternoon and sing the praises of this exquisite establishment.
However, suffice it to say that we have eaten here on consecutive nights for our last two trips to Ilfracombe, and would eat here everyday if we did not live in London. The set menu £29 for three courses is ridiculously reasonable and the quality of the food is second to none.
I will not tease you here with snippets from their constantly changing menu. But if you enjoy fine dining then you must experience this for yourself. This little secret of a place deserves to be visited by the representatives of Michelin...

Paul (Chef Patron) is in my opinion, truly talented chef and a total perfectionist, which is obvious to anyone who watches him "plate up". I cannot begin to explain the anticipation from pass to table. My mouth is watering even as I type this.
Sarah (front of house) is attentive without being invasive and what a refreshing treat that is. All the ingredients are sourced locally and the quality is self evident. The wine list is carefully selected with a wide choice of perfectly chosen wines.

My advice. You must eat here, but don't forget to book first...

1  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I almost didn't the review as i want to keep it to myself, it really is too good to share.

This place is a hidden gem and I am sure many of you have passed I in fore street and no even realised, I have at least half a dozen times. The food is worthy of at least 1 Michelin *. The place is run by husband and wife. There are around 10 tables so booking is essential. The menu is short which is great and allows the chef to do things to perfection, which I can assure you he does. The courses are not huge but more than adequate to fill your stomach without leaving you feeling bloated and uncomfortable.

I had the port trotter to start followed by the chicken and dark chocolate and caramel and Guinness ice cream. As the produce is sourced locally, you may ge something else but I'm sure it will be just as fantastic.

If your going to ilfracombe and are looking for an excellent place to eat book here you won be disappointed.

2  Thank MPT1974