“Dilkhusa Grand Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Dilkhusa Grand Hotel”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Lovely hotel but the bedrooms looked a little jaded and in need of decoration. Staff were very pleasant and the food was lovely. A party of five of us went with Shearings coach holidays to this hotel and I have to say that it was good value for money. No complaints from me.

Room Tip: My single room was fine and the people I travelled with seemed happy enough with their twin rooms. A...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear 52 mez,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. As you said, we offer an excellent value for money and all the staff work really hard to make sure our guests receive an excellent service and enjoy their time with us.
Your feedback is very welcomed as it will help us to improve where needed.
We are in the process of redecorating bedrooms and during January 2013 and January 2014, we complete refurbished 16 bedrooms and bathrooms to a very high standard and now we can offer customers the possibility of upgrading, for a small supplement, to one of our "Standard Plus" Bedrooms (newly refurbished bedrooms with flat screen TV, new furniture and newly redecorated bathrooms) ; also, during the last few months, we redecorated another 4 bedrooms and we hope to continue doing so during 2014 and 2015.
Once again, thank you very much for your review and we hope to see you again in a near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Essex
Reviewed March 21, 2014

This holiday was only £99 per person. It included coach from local pick up, B&B and evening meals and four free drinks vouchers per night. There was also two free trips included. All of the staff were extremely efficient. The food was served quickly, on hot plates and was well cooked. Probably the best of any Shearing's hotel in which we have stayed. The staff were only too happy to serve some of the breakfast customers with twice the normal serving when asked and still seemed happy to serve people who we would describe a being awkward to say the least.
It seems a shame that some other Shearing's hotels do not come close to the service at The Dilkusa.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
First of all, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money with good food, great entertainment and excellent service.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will personally pass your lovely comments to the staff.
Your positive feedback is very important to us and will help to keep staff motivated as they all work really hard to deliver excellent service and make sure all our customers have a nice stay with us.
Once again, thank you for such a wonderful review and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My bathroom was small with the toilet in a recess. you had to be a contortionist to sit on the toilet! A towel rail jutted out on the left and dug into your ribs so you had to lean to the right to sit on the toilet. Any towels put on the rail would drop into the toilet!
Although the staff were efficient at their own duties. the night I fell over in the dining room they were far from that. I was on my own and unable to get up. Several members of staff looked over in my direction but no help was forthcoming. In the end a guest at a nearby table left her meal and helped me up. I was shaken and bruised but it could have been far worse. Looking round the guests many of them seemed elderly and unsteady on their feet. I am worried if they fell they would receive the same treatment

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank Janet T
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is important to us and will help to keep improving where needed.
Our staff goes through an in-house training in Customer Care and Health & Safety, and will always help customers, especially if they have any accidents or something happen to them.
I am very surprised about your comments and I will look into it as we do not want that to happen again. Customers are our main priority and every member of staff has always been friendly and helpful, as you can read on previous reviews.
Reception staff is always available to help customers and log any accidents or suggestions. Also, we have first aiders available and will always help when accidents or incidents are reported.
Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in a near future, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We have just returned from a midweek break at the Dilkhusa Grand Hotel in Ilfracombe,it could not have not have been better.All the staff went out of their way to make our break as good as possible, which did not go unoticed by us,many thanks to you all.Special thanks must go to our Coach Driver,Andy,his care and consideration was second to none,a most professional attiude and also a good laugh! when needed.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook Gardens and Park
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Frank H
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Frank H,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. Your positive feedback
is very appreciated and will help to keep staff motivated.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced our excellent service.
As you said, all staff at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, works really hard to make sure our
customers have a brilliant stay with us and I am pleased you appreciate it.
I will pass your lovely comments to the staff and especially to Andy.
Once again, thank you for your positive review and we hope to see you in
a near future.
crewe
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a really nice hotel in a convenient locality, no major shops but a high street of smaller shops only 5 minutes walk away, albeit up a steep climb but you can take the bus if it really is too much even though you are only one bus stop away from the shops. You have the walking entrance to the tor just across the road for the really fit ones that enjoy exercise, or the unusual theatre across the road also. We noticed that a Wetherspoons is under construction just to the left of the hotel with a sign saying it is due to open Easter 2014. For those that like the major shopping centres, Barnstaple is only a 30-40 minute bus ride away with a bus stop right outside the hotel and for those staying Monday to Friday, there is an included excursion on one of the days to this town.
Our room was more than adequate for our midweek stay, all the usual facilities you get with Shearings hotels, plenty of hospitality tray supplies, hot water on tap and good heating. The only thing that would have been better was if the tv in our room had more than 3 channels, but after chatting to other guests it appeared that some TV's were better than others and if it had bothered us that much we would have mentioned it to reception, but seeing as the entertainment on all evenings was quite good, and we went out each day, we didn`t spend that much time in our rooms for the tv to be that important.
Room service was excellent. On the day we arrived there were 3 coaches in total and the hotel was full, but on arrival we barely had time to empty our small hand luggage when there was a knock on the door and both our cases had been delivered. The same can be said when we rang down to request 2 extra pillows and they were sent up more or less immediately. Later in the week we met the manager, Pedro, and we congratulated him on the fast service we had received on arrival despite it being a really busy changeover day for the staff and he told us it was something the staff had worked on in order to be efficient even when they were really busy.
This stay included 4 free drinks each day and I took advantage of using 2 of my free drinks plus £5 to purchase a bottle of Merlot wine. I can recommend the quality of this wine to anyone who drinks red, and on the Wednesday there was a Spanish theme night where you could purchase a jug of Sangria for 2 drinks vouchers plus £3, but make sure you order this the day before as the wine is seeped in fruit overnight, and the end result is a very tasty strong fruity drink, and if we had realised how good it was we would have ordered 2 jugs the day before.
As a vegetarian who eats fish I look forward to the Shearings breakfast as I can usually guarantee vegetarian sausage being available and I wasn`t disappointed at this hotel, but although we received excellent service from our Croatian waitress, there was no tuna available to have with salad on 2 of the evenings we were there. There were other vegetarian alternatives but I particularly enjoy tuna salad and it is the first Shearings hotel we have stayed in where tuna has not been available at any time, but apart from that the menus were varied and everything else on the menu that I tried was very tasty and enjoyable.
All the staff that we encountered on this holiday were helpful and friendly and I even had a win on the bingo, first win I have had in a Shearings hotel.
For those that have severe mobility problems there are a few steps leading up to the entrance of the hotel, and there are steps leading to the restaurant, but a stair lift is provided. There is also a lift to the first 3 floors of the hotel which comfortably holds 4 people, but if you are someone who likes to stay at the top of the hotel, be aware that there are 4 floors and so you would need to take the stairs to the final floor.
Our driver Andy was very good and kept us informed of all the interesting places along our route and also thanks to George our feeder coach driver who got us safely home and kept us entertained on the way.

1 Thank jmtigercrewe
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a positive review.
It was real pleasure to meet you and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is very important for us and will help to improve and keep staff motivated.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money and we provide an excellent service, and I am very happy knowing that we have another two happy customers that left the hotel with good memories.
Once again, thank you for your lovely comments and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We have just returns from a 5 day Shearings trip to Ilfracombe. The Dilkhusa Grand is one of the best Shearings hotels we have stayed in (we have done 5 to date). The dining room has recently been decorated and new furniture. Most of the bedrooms have also been upgraded with new bathrooms, furniture and decor. The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Inma, our waitress, who was extremely efficient and always had a smile. The trips out, whether included or additional were brilliant, as was Andy, our driver. All in all a very good trip. Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Bolton180165
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
It was a pleasure meeting you and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your positive comments to the staff, especially to Inma (waitress) and Andy (Coach driver), whom I am sure will be delighted.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money with Good food, Excellent service, Great entertainment and Comfortable accommodation.
Once again, thank you for your very positive review.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We had a very warm welcome from the lady on reception.The hotel was very clean. The staff were very helpful and the food was excellent. The only criticism, if an, was that we had to pay for our car parking.

1 Thank Sandra C
Dear Sandra C,

Thank you very much for visiting us, and also, thank you for your positive review.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced the excellent level of service that we provide here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel.
I will pass your lovely comments to the staff, especially to our Reception staff.
Once again, thank you for your visit and review, and we hope to see you again in a near future.