“New Year celebrations”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Manchester, United Kingdom
“New Year celebrations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Have just stayed at this hotel on a new year break. On the whole have enjoyed ourselves. As with most bay hotels could do with refurbishing. The food was ok, some dishes were lovely and some let them down. The food is portioned and at times the portions were a little small. The staff are friendly and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel had made the effort to create a party atmosphere and brought the new year in in style. Although the hotel is not fully wheelchair friendly they do try with a couple of stair lifts to get to the restaurant. We found the bed in our room very hard. The tv is only an old fashioned portable and has 5 channels. The picture quality is not good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 650paul
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
First of all, I would like to take the opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year and thank you for staying with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I will pass your lovely comments to the staff.
All your comments will be taken on board and your feedback will help us to improve where needed.
Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in a near future, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Castle Donington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

the hotel was very welcoming and warm the staff were very accomodating and friendly especially pat in the restaurant extremely efficient and helpfull when we visit again we would like to be served by pat the rest of the staff were very good byt we really enjoyed the banter with pat

1 Thank 89maggie
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear 89 Maggie,

Happy New Year and thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
Your positive feedback is very welcomed and it will help us to keep motivated and providing excellent service for our customers.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your lovely comments to the staff, especially to Pat.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again in a near future, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.
Dawlish, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

this hotel is fabulous wonderful service in every part of hotel.
Food excellent
Cleaning staff.excellent
Entertainment excellent
management excellent
Bar staff excellent
Reception staff excellent
Restaurant service excellent

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and comfortable.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced our first class service.
As you said, all members of staff work hard to make sure our customers get good service and enjoy their stay.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and for your positive review. I would like to take the opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year, and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We visited the hotel in October and we were given room 308, what a disgrace. There was green mould all around the window, the window catch was rusty and rotten and the paint was flaking off. i have an illness that leaves me with no immune system, so I was concerned for my health, I asked the manager for another room in case this one made me ill.
I was offered another one which was just as bad and I would have had to climb up and dowwn lots of steps, as I am disabled I refused this room but was told that no other rooms were available. i pointed out a room opposite which was nicely decorated, but I was told that this was only for upgrades. Obviously travelling with National Holidays we are classed as second class citizens. I reluctantly stayed in this room as no other choices were given. I showed my photos of the mould and filth to the manager as I was leaving and told him that he should not put anyone else in this room as it wasnt fit for human beings. It will be interesting to see if anyone else complains about this room. The Dilkhusa is certainly not a Grand Hotel, it may have been in its hayday but not now.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Anne h
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is very valuable and will help us to keep improving.
I am sorry to hear about your stay. I can assure you that after your comments,back in October, we took action and Room 308 is a nice room as it has been redecorated.
Since then, we had very happy customers that enjoyed their stay in that room.
At the Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, we offer an excellent service for all our customers and the staff are always happy to help.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
Once again, thank you for your review and would like to take the opportunity to wish you a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2014.
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Thanks to the new manager PEDRO and staff this hotel has become excellent value for money
Food good , staff friendly and helpful
It is clean ,warm and is in the process of being refurbished
Entertainment is acceptable
Towels and linen very clean. I stayed for 5 days from 16-12-13 to 20-12-13 very good value for money
I enjoyed the warm atmosphere and definitely recommend this hotel
Well done everyone!!

Room Tip: Ask for a nice room before travelling
2 Thank TREVOR R
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Trevor R,
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your positive review. As you said, we offer an excellent value for money and all the staff work very hard to make sure that all our guests enjoy their stay and receive a great service.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will personnally pass your lovely comments to the staff.
Once again, thank you for coming to visit us and for your comments, and we hope to see you again in a near future, and if you decide to come back, please contact us and we will make sure all is ready for you.
Merry Christmas and all the best for 2014.
Barrow upon Soar, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from 25-29th. November. Have been to many Shearings hotels over the last few years and must say the Dilkhusa rates as one of the best. Location was excellent for getting around the town and the hotel itself was warm, clean and well staffed.Food was of a good quality and the 4 drinks vouchers meant that we didn't need to spend much at night. The entertainment was excellent, although we didn't win at bingo!! Overall, a very enjoyable stay and we look forward to more next year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Roger H
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Roger H

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.
Your positive feedback is very welcomed and will help us to keep working hard.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your lovely comments to the staff.
As you said, we offer a good value for money and it is nice to see that our customers are happy with it.
I would like to take the opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2014.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

My husband & I recently visited the Dilkhusa & after reading some previous negative comments we were amazed, some people must be hard to please?
The hotel was very clean, lovely & warm (having a central heating problem at home) & very welcoming, the staff were efficient, friendly & extremely helpful, allocating a a nice ground floor room as my husband is disabled. The en-suite bathroom was as clean as a new pin with plenty of hot water. Beds comfortable, good quality TV & tea making facilities which were renewed each day.
The all inclusive package was excellent value & the trips enjoyable, do not miss "The Big Sheep"
For myself, the Coastal path hiking was great & we both liked the area, using the Bus several times. We would definitely recommend this short break & hope to return.
Thank you Pedro (Manager) you run a hotel to be proud of.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Sue B
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Sue B,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review and also thank you for visiting us.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your husband and I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money with comfortable accommodation, excellent service, great entertainment, and good food.
Your feedback will help us to keep staff motivated and also will help potential customers to choose this hotel and visit us knowing that we offer the best possible service.
I will personally pass your lovely comments to the staff and I am sure they will be happy knowing that, once again, our customers had a lovely time with us and left with positive memories.
Once again, thank you for your excellent review and we hope to see you in a near future, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.