“Just got back from a four day holiday at the Dilkhusa not so Grand. Travelled with National holidays.”

Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just before we arrived at hotel the coach driver mentioned that the lift was not working, we just thought he was joking! Apparently not, as we found out from the receptionist. Some people had been informed a few days before but a number of us had not So there was not much we could do about it then, As you can imagine we were quite upset as we could not be given rooms on the lower floors, I am in my sixties and most were a lot older and could not manage the stairs( My husband cannot walk very well due to an operation on his foot, we were put on the fourth floor the top floor!! ) The attitude of the woman on reception left a lot to be desired, it was, "take it up with National Holiday's" not a good start to our stay .We counted the steps up to our room over seventy two!!! We were lucky that our luggage was taken up by some of the staff. Why is it that said lift is still out of use? This is a "Shearings Hotel" and we expected better having stayed in them before. The food was okay and waiters, cleaning staff and entertainment too. Also no shampoo or shower gel provided, even basic bed and breakfast provide these.Shower basic and tiles grubby. Hairdryer very old fashioned. The window in our bedroom was a sash window with no double glazing. The view from our window was awful looking on to other peoples rubbish. It was windy on the first night and it sounded as if window would blow in. The beds were comfy and clean and we had a good nights sleep, but by the time we had got up to the top floor minus lift, this might have had a lot to do with it. We had travelled with a group of friends we all made the best of our short holiday.

Room Tip: If not on ground floor, make sure lift is working. Apart from top floor rooms that we and friends h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 426jenniferb
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, which is very welcomed and will help us to improve where needed.
Unfortunately, the lift was out of order and it was beyond our control as the lift company responsible for the repairs, still waiting for the part, which comes from Italy.
Shearings and National Holidays are doing a great job trying to help customers, and we hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
Hotel staff are also doing a great job as it is not easy to accommodate 186 customers, especially when the lift is not working.
I am glad you enjoyed the service and accommodation, and that overall you and your friends enjoyed your stay.
Once again, thank you for your comments, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other destinations Shearings and National Holidays have on offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
lincolnshire
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just spent four nights in the Dilkhusa hotel on a Shearings holiday break.The majority of the staff were helpful,the food good but our room almost reduced me to tears.
The bed squeaked and,along with the floorboards creaked every time we moved or walked!
The room in general was clean but so desperately in need of refurbishment along with the bathroom with its peeling wallpaper.
The lift is still out of action,c'mon,after three weeks? Glad it was not my elderly mum trying to climb the stairs.
Just to add insult to injury so to speak,two almost rotten bananas were added to our packed lunch which we bought to eat on the coach on our way home,would not have even been reduced in the shop but binned.

Room Tip: Not room 208 for a romantic weekend!!
1 Thank LincolnshireMadny
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your review is very valuable to us and will help to improve where needed.
We are refurbishing the hotel and bedrooms, and we will look into your comments.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention, and I can assure you that we will take action.
Once again, thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have just returned from a 5 day break with Shearings. Having read previous reviews in which everyone mentioned the lift being out of order why oh why is it not repaired? The average age group of our party must have been about 75, and I felt very sorry watching the elderly people huffing and puffing up the stairs aided by their walking sticks, one gentlemen literally crawled up on all fours, it had to be seen to be believed!.. Sad
We had requested a top room floor, aware that the lift was out of order we had accepted the inevitable climb up 89 steps total (we counted them ). The room was adequate for the price payed, was quiet and away from the noise of the bar and entertainment.
The food most nights was palatable and tasty, again due to the 'budget' cost of the hotel our expectations were not that high (having been on a previous Shearing Holiday). Must add here, the mashed potato provided with one meal was revolting,lumpy and unseasoned.. Avoid at all cost!!! Puddings were lovely - breakfasts adequate but small portions - I understand people's appetites may not be enormous and smaller portions are offered to avoid waste, but a little more generosity on portion sizes would be appreciated.
The staff were helpful and polite, apart from the last morning (a busy time of course with the need to load coaches within a limited time) - however I did not appreciate being told to 'move out of the way' by a member of Shearings (I think), so that the second double door could be opened.
Ilfracombe itself was a usual seaside town, I felt it was a little grubby and run down in need of some loving care, sadly a sign of our times, when it is cheaper to go abroad these days and the sun shine can be more of a guarantee
Damien Hirst statue in the harbour is worth a visit, smaller than I expected - I still can't work out how or why it has been placed in Ilfracombe harbour other than the artist lives locally
Overall, if you can accept this is a standard Shearings holiday, a slightly run down hotel in need of some tender loving care, run by staff who work very hard for their money who's sole purpose seems to be to please wherever possible, then you will appreciate and enjoy this holiday to the full

Room Tip: Lower floored rooms if you have trouble with mobility
1 Thank DeniseT107
Thank you very much for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed the food and service. As you said, all members of staff work really hard and always try to help our customers.
Regarding the lift, still out of order as we are waiting for engineers to get the part needed to repair it. Unfortunately, the part comes from Italy and they closed the factory for the whole month.
As you can see, it is beyond our control, and our Reception staff, and the whole of Shearings are doing a great job trying to help customers when possible.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that Shearings has on offer.
Bristol
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a 3 night break 6th -8th September, and were really looking forward to it as my husband has been ill this summer. From the outside the hotel looked fine, but unfortunately we arrived at the same time as a Shearing's Coach holiday. We were "lost" in the middle of all that and had to wait for attention at reception. We had not realised, when booking, the hotel, mostly dealt with coach trips.As independent visitors, we almost felt out of place. The lift was broken, which did not help. Thankfully we had a room on floor 1, room 105. The room was very small, bathroom awful ,light broken (we did mention it) and it was VERY noisy at night from the music downstairs. Bit fed up with the entertainment being Bingo every night! The food, however, was great , compliments to the chef. Just a shame the dining room was so cramped, and set up like a cafe with no ambience for a couple, hoping to have a nice meal. In fact we were so rushed eating our food, I was still finishing my mouthful, when our plates were taken and asked what we wanted next. A little "breathing" time would have been nice. In fact, we had a 3 course meal and wine, in half an hour.!!

Room Tip: Ask for a view, if they have one. We overlooked a room and back yard!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad you enjoyed the food and the service.
Our hotel is part of Shearings, and belongs to Bay Brand, which offers and excellent value for money with good food, excellent service and great entertainment.
If you are looking for something more relaxing, with low key entertainment, different ambience, I would recommend our Coast and Country Brand.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again, in a Bay Hotel or in one of our Coast and Country ones.
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

When we arrived at Dilkhusa it looked quite nice a lovely building however that did not continue once we entered the reception area Where there was a collie dog playing ball.
On checking in we were told that the lift was broken but they did have one young man who was able to take luggage up to the rooms for those customers who were unable to manage, as the customer age group seemed to be 70 years + I would think he was in great demand.

We checked in to room 229 which was on the second floor the room was the most depressing room I have ever stayed in it was very dark and gloomy even with the light on paint was peeling and chipped off the woodwork, window frames and door, the carpet by the windows was stained and looked horrid The room needed a really good clean
The dressing table with a mirror was a joke as you cannot use it because the OLD TV sits right in front of the mirror the hairdryer is in a bracket on the wall and to use it you have to keep your finger on the switch.
The bed was clean and comfortable
The bathroom had been decorated and was clean and shower worked well.
No toiletries except for two tiny hand soaps
The room was very cold when I asked at reception how to switch the heating on I was told this was not possible and that we could have a heater but it never arrived.
Breakfast was ok but by no means the best.
The restaurant staff were very nice
This is not a cheap hotel our cost was £258 for 2 for 2 nights we did have a free night but decided to not take the offer and come home.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone

My overall view of this hotel is:
Hotel in URGENT need of refurbishing
I do have photos which I took but decided not to put them on but would if anyone wanted to see them

8 Thank 318linda
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments, which are very welcomed and will help us to improve where needed.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.
We are going through a refurbishment programme and we will look into your comments and action where neccesary.
I am glad you enjoyed the Restaurant Service.
Once again, thank you for your review.
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband & I were with National holidays the bank holiday week , when the lift wasn't working. Ihad requested a room on the ground floor or next to the lift as I am disabled but was put on the 2nd floor This spoilt what would have been a wonderful holiday , the food was excellent and the waiter that we had was extremely good. The entertainment was not very good apart from 1 night when there was an excellent guitarist/ singer. I was told that the lift is often not working, this should not happen, there was a lot of elderly people who had to come down backwards . I will say the staff on reception and bar were extremely pleasant and helpful and I did enjoy the sangria !!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front, would be a lovely outlook
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will personally pass
your positive comments to the staff, especially Bar and Reception.
As you mentioned, our Sangria has become very popular, and is part
of our weekly Spanish Evening, which we do every wednesday night.
Regarding the lift, our Reception staff and all the Head Office staff
are doing a great job trying to help customers. We hope to
get the lift fixed soon.
I would like to take the opportunity to apologise to everyone affected by
the lift problem, and also thank you for their cooperation and understanding.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and for your positive review, and we
hope to see you again in a near future.
Solihull
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Just had three nights in the Dilkhusa Hotel. This is a old hotel and therefore has a few things that show this fact. In places it could do with some decoration but having said that the dining room has obviously been recently decorated and is very nice. Our room number 125 was very large with a double and single bed and a large bay window. The only problem we had was the creaky floor boards in the room above which kept us awake at night until the people in that room went to bed! We could hear every move but do realise this is a problem with old buildings and I don't suppose anything could really be done about it! Although we were not affected, as we are fully mobile, but it did cause a lot of distress for several of the elderly visitors; the lift was not working.
My husband helped one lady up to her room on the third floor and it nearly killed her! I suggest if you are booked to go in the next few weeks and need the lift, you check that it has been repaired. We found the food very good with a nice choice for each course. The staff were very friendly and polite. On the whole we had a lovely time and feel these holidays offered by Shearings are very good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ossieSolihull
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear OssieSolihull,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
Your positive review is very welcomed as it helps us to monitor our performance and service. I will personally pass your comments to the staff, and I am sure they will be happy knowing that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel is formed by three different buildings; one is what we called "The House", which was named Dilkhusa (means House of the Happy Heart); other building was a Hotel called "The Grand", and a third building which was also a Hotel.
The three buildings were put together and named "The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel".
As you said, it is an old building and we have pictures of the early 1900's when it was used as a Hotel and had hundreds of visitors that came to enjoy the beautiful area and Ilfracombe itself.
Today, like hundreds of years ago, guests visit our Hotel and enjoy our excellent value for money packages.
We have refurbished our Restaurant and public areas, to give the Hotel a 21st century look, but without forgetting the original character of the building.
I am glad you enjoyed our food and service, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.