“Weekend break”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Had a weekend break 16th august, stopped at the Dilkhusa Hotel in Ilfracomb,a bit dated but clean and very friendly staff,the only things we found wrong was the lift was out of order and it was very difficult for some of the guests to use the stairs,some were on the 3rd and 4th floors while some that could use the stairs were on the ground floor, surely the management could have changed their rooms, having said this we had a very enjoyable weekend and we will come back again.

Room Tip: we stayed in a back room of the hotel which was alright but next time we would prefer a front room.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Ronald B
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Ronald B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
Your feedback is very welcomed and will help us to keep motivated and making sure we provide the best service possible.
I am glad you enjoyed Ilfracombe and our Hotel, and I will pass your positive comments to the staff.
Unfortunately,as you said, our lift was out of order and we did our best to allocate people on the lower floors, but we do not know our guests conditions or disabilities unless they inform our help desk team in advance. Majority of customers that have any disability of difficulty with stairs or any other problem, they always contact our Head office (Help Desk Team) to inform them, and then our Head Office will send us a list with those customers. Once we have the list, our Reception staff will allocate guest in bedrooms, giving priority to those who went through Help Desk. Once people arrive at the hotel, if they have not informed us in advance, it makes more difficult to change rooms. However, our Reception staff will always try to help customers and find a solution for each individual need.
I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention, as gave me the opportunity to explain how the system works and will help our future customers.
Once again, thank you very much for your positive review and for visiting us, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
flintshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Having been on a number of Shearings tours, this is the fist occasion that I've had any issues.
First the good points - Ilfracombe is lovely, the break was great value, the hotel location across from the gardens and theatre very good, the hotels public areas are excellent ( lounges, concert room, reception and restaurant ) the food was very good and the staff were hard working and pleasant.
The bad points -
The state of the room (I will add photos of room 308) and the managements attitude, as follows.
After our long journey, the arrival at the Dilkhusa Grand hotel was followed by a very efficient check-in process and all seemed very promising, that was until we opened the door to our room (308) and were shocked to find it very dark, dismal, antiquated and musty.
Things were worse in the bathroom as there was a leak coming through the ceiling and dripping from the electric light fitting.
The sodden, patchy and sagging ceiling along with the peeling wallpaper, flaking paint and damp walls suggested that this was not a new problem.
I returned to the reception and politely asked for another room, explaining that I was concerned about the musty conditions, but the General Manager (Pedro) immediately informed me that the hotel was completely full and that there were no other options available as I was a coach guest.
He showed no surprise or concern at my reporting a leaking ceiling, which would suggest that it was an ongoing problem that he was already aware of ?
A young lady staff member arrived at our room with a mop, bucket and towels to clean up and told us that it had been raining very heavily, but that it should be okay now it had stopped and the forecast was for dry weather ahead (she was correct, luckily it didn't rain again) but we had to open the doors and windows maximum amount possible to air the room with the aid of a large electric fan.
We found that other guests were having similar problems and our coach driver tried to speak to the manager to be told it was not his business.
We did not want this situation to roll on through our break and decided that we would have to deal with Shearings after we came home, because as Pedro had said 'we had no other option'.

At no time during the remainder of our stay did any member of the hotel management ask how we were coping or offer any further assistance ( not to mention health + safety concerns with water and electricity ), although a maintenance man knocked the door midweek to say that a roofer was due at the hotel on Thursday ( luckily it didn't rain again ).

I understand old hotels have issues and the price wasn't 5 star, but such a poor management response isn't even 1 star.
The rest of the hotel staff were courteous and helpful, the food good and public areas pleasant which was very fortunate as we tried to spend as little time as possible in our dank rooms with the loudly creaking floor and bed ( we did not make one cup of tea in there ).
I e-mailed Shearings when we returned home 2 weeks ago and still no response from them, so much for their customer care.

Room Tip: Avoid room 308
1 Thank rainydayz
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed Ilfracombe and the food and service at our hotel.
Regarding your comments about your room, during the morning, just before you arrived
at the hotel, we had torrential rain in the area, which affected the hotel.
Your bedroom, as you said, had a leak in your bathroom, but we were fully booked and had no other rooms available that I could offer. However, I did offer you a refund or the possibility of finding you accomodation at another hotel. I do apologise if you think I did not show any concern for your complaint but I can assure you that was not my intention at all as we work very hard to provide a very safe enviroment for our customers and our staff and we do our best to help our customers when they have a problem.
Our maintenance man and myself, checked the room after you reported the fault in the bathroom,and made sure there were no danger at all.
As soon as you reported the fault, we also contacted one of our contractors and they repaired it the following day.
If you sent a complaint to our Head Office, I can assure you that our Customer Care department will reply to you soon. Shearings takes very seriously all the customer comments.
We did our best to put things righ as soon as you reported your concerns to reception.
Once again, thank you very much for visiting us and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that Shearings has on offer.
gosport,hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Four of us stayed at this hotel for a weekend break, we found the hotel to be very good value, as dinks and entertainment were included in the price.
The hotel is looking a little tired in places, but renovations I believe are ongoing. Our rooms were well decorated and very comfortable.
The only problem with the hotel during our stay was the restaurant, people were being totally ignored, and when eventually being served were told the food they ordered had run out, leaving some people very angry,. Also, cereals, juices, milk, and even water not refilled.We noticed glasses, bowls, and plates at breakfast were very small, obviously to make them look fuller.
All said, we did like this hotel, it is well placed near the seafront in delightful Ilfracombe, but management, please sort out the restaurant, and a good hotel could be a very good hotel indeed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have good views over the gardens.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pompeyboy1951
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
As you said, we offer a great value for money and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also, thank you very much for your comments about our Restaurant. I can assure you that we will look into it and I will discuss it with our Restaurant Manageress. Your opinion is important to us, and will help us to improve, and also will help our future customers as they will benefit with those improvements.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and for your positive comments, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

One, because thats the only way i can give a review!! The hotel is tired but I didn't have a problem with that as my room was clean and for the price I paid I wasn't expecting a 3star! Some of the staff at the hotel are even more tired, no smiling faces at reception...:( Staff in the restaurant don't all speak good English but they do work extremely hard!! And as for the night porter, he needs sacking! He came on duty at 10pm and would constantly be watching out the window so he could run out & remove the chairs when you had gone to the toilets.. I couldn't believe my eyes when people in there 70' & 80's had their chairs removed as soon as they stood up and moved towards the door to go the loo (It was like scene from Faulty towers)! Its not as though it was midnight or that we were disrespectful or noisy. Also, When people returned late after being in a bars they were unable to gain entrance into the hotel for quiet sometime as the porter said he was doing a security check!
whilst I was reporting this to a members of staff, the lady who worked behind the bar stood listening to every ward I said, which I thought was rude.. I was informed before I left she was the porters partner.. That explains the dirty looks I received from her the following day!!
The majority of the guessed who discussed his behaviour had never heard of trip adviser so I am writing this on behalf of them too.... Mr lazy zzzzzzzzz Porter.. you spoilt my our weekend!!!
On a good point. The flowers in pots and baskets outside the hotel are amazingly beautiful!! :)

Room Tip: The sink in my room was just about big enough to fit my toothbrush in... so take bottled water as Yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
12 Thank myjugssmith8
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments, which are very valuable to us and will help to improve where needed.
As you said, our staff works really hard. Majority of our Restaurant staff are foreign University Students whom come to England to learn the language so they can improve their Curriculum Vitae. All of them are fully trained and do an excellent job as well as they learn and improve their English.
Regarding the night porter, we will open a full investigation and will make sure that situations like the one you described do not happen again.
I am glad you liked the pots and flowers that we have outside the Hotel. As you said, the entrance and front of the Hotel look beautiful and very welcoming.
Once again, thank you very much for visiting us and for your review, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other destinations that Shearings and Bay Hotels have on offer.
Hebburn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a pleasant week-end at the Dilkhusa on a 4 day trip with National Holidays. Just before arrival at the hotel we were advised by the coach driver that the lift was out of action but staff would assist with the luggage.
However there were so many people arriving at once and as we wanted to have a shower and get changed after a long journey from Tyneside I eventually had to carry our case up myself.
When we opened the door to our bedroom we were in a dark, dismal room with a filthy dirty window looking out onto a filthy dirty wall about 8ft away, there was wallpaper hanging off and just below our window was a big extractor fan or air conditioning unit giving off a loud noise.
I asked reception for a change of room but was told there was non available???
Back in the room we found the sink in the bathroom was so small (a tiny corner unit) that we could not fill the small kettle, we had to fill mugs and then transfer the water to the kettle. The toilet did not flush properly and when we turned on the tiny TV we thought we were watching White Christmas on all channels as there was so much snow.
The rest of the hotel was OK. All staff were helpful and friendly, the meals were good and the entertainment reasonable.

I did not appreciate the early morning start up of the fan / air conditioning unit at 6.20 each morning, apparantly it was the kitchen below us. Would I go back - NO.

Room Tip: Look for another Hotel.
1 Thank Malcolm H
All reviews are very welcomed as they are a great tool to help us to improve were needed.
During the summer, our hotel is very popular as it is situated in a lovely part of the country, and we get to a full capacity, which means that all our bedrooms are occupied.
We will look into your comments and will put things right. Our maintenance team works six days a week and they always try to solve the problems when they get reported to us.
I am glad you enjoyed the service, food and entertainment.
Once again, thank you very much for visiting us and for your feedback.
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

A very clean extremily friendly & Cheerfull staff who remembered our meal orders our drinks order a very pleasing experience.
The food was also very nice. There ham & eggs for breakfast was the perfect start to the day.
The evening meal was very good with choice of 3 to 4 starters including a soup also a choice of main meals every one my wife & I tried we were very pleased with & Mageretta was always smiling & I wish I could remember things as she did with our orders also several choices of sweet the entertainment was very good which puzzles me how The X factor & Brittains got talent are both so poor The compare was very cheerfull & the reading of his letters was very funny The singers were good singing a wide chioce of songs & my favorite the comedians Hilaries the joke were very good
I am so impressed with value for money from Shearing coaches the organization the knowledge of there drivers a combined history & geography lesson in one again exceddingly helpfull & cheerfull. The tours were very good Value as where the extra tours the drivers described each tour very well The North Devon Countryside & Coastline was beatifull
Only one coplaint the lift broke just one of those things but 39 steps are a lot at 75

Room Tip: ground floor lift very old
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Harry F
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Harry F,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you experienced the excellent value for money and good service that we provide here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel.
Your positive feedback is very valuable to us and it will help to keep staff morale high, knowing that our customers enjoy and appreciate our efforts.
As you said in your review, our main core values, which are Good Food, Great Entertaiment and Excellent Service are well covered and you enjoyed them.
Also, I would like to thank you for visiting Ilfracombe and staying with us.
I will personally pass your positive comments to the staff, especially to Margareta.
Once again, thank you for such a positive review, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Due to its location, the price we paid and the overall service we were given we throughly enjoyed our stay it would ne nice to go back in a couple of year's
with the combination of a National coach holiday and your hotel it was a perfect match.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Philip L
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments, and also, thank you very much for visiting Ilfracombe and staying with us.
Your positive feedback is very welcomed and it help us to keep improving and making sure that our customers get the best service possible.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will personally pass your lovely comments to the staff.
As you said, we provide excellent value for money and we take pride of the good service that we provide to all our customers.
It would be fantastic to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other destinations that Shearings and National Holidays have on offer.