“Excellent Hotel”

Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Just back from a 7 night stay at this hotel with Shearings coaches. This is our 3rd holiday this year with them the previous trips were at the Beresford in Newquay & Broadway in Sandown IOW and this was the best hotel out of the 3 mainly down to the entertainment host Simon who is an excellent singer and is very very funny. Thanks to Simon for making an evenings very enjoyable. All the staff are very friendly, rooms very clean & tidy thanks to Jackie. Service at the bar excellent thanks to Garry and his team. Good choice of food very well cooked. Hope to come back one day to see you all again. Well done to all the staff keep the good work up you are 5 star.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank casinocolin

Reviewed June 30, 2011

Just back from a week at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel,owned by Shearings. Lovely time was had. The Reception staff and Bar staff were excellent,clean,tidy and very efficient.The entertainer Simon,was outstanding.Didnt see the chambermaids,but room always clean and tidy. Plenty of choice of food,even for me,and i am fussy.Several coach excursions included in the price,all very nice.Driver Andrew,lovely and informative.Every night there was a free bar for three hours!!what more could you want?The only negative comment, was The Restaurant,it needs a good clean and tidy.As do some of the female staff,including the manageress,quite dirty and untidy uniforms,some times they dont even wear waistcoats?? all male waiters look very smart.Get this area sorted, and you will have an excellent hotel,Will visit again.

5  Thank JimMancester
DavidDenbyIlfracombe, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Dear Jim

Firstly thank you for returning and thanks for your latest review. I apologise if you felt your Restaurant experience did not live up to what you found elsewhere in the hotel. I take on board your comments and will be paying it close attention.

In the meantime it is very much appreciated what you wrote about the rest of the hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you’re coming again, after all Christmas is not that far away….!

Reviewed June 25, 2011

We just wamted to say what a great time we had and how well we were looked after. We will definetly come back again. The staff are so friendly and helpful nothing was to much trouble!

3  Thank pike69
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Came with National Holidays, was looked after hand and foot, Ok the room was basic but very clean,Staff where exceptional hard working , friendly and very helpful, all in all a lovely week,in glorious surroundings, Plenty to eat !!! good food, Dont know how they do it for the money x would recommend,, Edna Turner

4  Thank EdnaTurner

Dear Edna

I think I’m thinking of the correct week and if I am I have to say the atmosphere that week was one of the best we’ve had all year. It really does make our day to read that guests have enjoyed themselves so much and the efforts of all the staff are appreciated, tell everyone!!

Reviewed June 10, 2011

just returned from the dilhuska had a good time but god does it need a refurb !!! it is not a 2 star hotel ,the maid keeps your room clean,service in dining room appalling no one seems to be in charge ! allow at least 1.5 hrs for breakfast dinner dont expect a pudding at night it takes to long !! now to the best bit simon is excellent for entertainment if he wasnt there you wouldnt go it has the appearance of an old peoples home . bar staff are excellent maybe they could train the resturant staff. ilfracombe town centre very run down harbour area very nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gisarne
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I wanted to leave as soon as I entered the ancient lift to be honest and I was shocked by the decor, my room was surprisingly clean in despite of needing urgent decoration and new carpet, I switched on the TV, four channels, but hey, I was on holiday, why did I need more channels, I needed to go out an see glorious Devon.
First night dinner....three courses,, as a vegetarian disapointing choice but my meat and fish eating family enjoyed the menu choices. The service was excellent. Very efficient and friendly staff where nothing seemed too much trouble.
Entertainment each night...bingo and a different entertainer everynight that seemed to be enjoyed by most in the room. Bit old for me, but knew that when I booked. Good fun really. Resident entertainer Simon very funny.

First night in my room...aghhh, never slept thanks to a very loud clicking clock that was fixed to the wall. The bed though very comfortable. Family members did not have the same problem and slept well. No loud party revellers here to wake us up.

I told the maid that I was kept awake by the clock, when i returned from a lovely breakfast of buffet cereals and a choice of cooked breakfast included kippers and full english which I have to say was freshly cooked and very tasty the clock had vanished! I looked everywhere....then I noticed the note, the maid had arranged for it to be unscrewed and removed and hoped that was ok....Thank you Donna, I slept soundly for the next four nights.

On first impressions I feel ashamed to say I wanted to run and book myslef into somewhere else, but now five days later I am very pleased that i did not. My family and I had a lovely stay, staff great, good food and entertainment each night and a stones throw from the lovely tunnel beaches. A good location to explore North Devon and if you are a bus pass holder the bus stop is right outside the hotel.
If you go, please look past the decor and old shower fittings etc etc and enjoy the good value for money hospitality that this hotel certainly provides.

Room Tip: No sea views. My room only had a shower.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank lorraineed
DavidDenbyIlfracombe, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

When I first read the title of this I feared the worst! I’m sorry you found a few bits of your stay not quite what you expected. With regards to the food we do have a choice of a meat, fish and vegetarian option on each day. The menu is put up each morning so if you do come again please feel free to come and chat to the Chef. We will do what we can to try and help you with any dietary requirements.

I have to say though thank you for positive words about the staff and your overall stay with us. We all try our best to please and it’s very satisfying when that comes across to someone so strongly.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

Just spent a lovely 5 days at this Hotel. Staff were very friendly and food excellent.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends