Imperial Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have recently returned from a holiday with Alpha to this hotel.
Lovely staff, good food, clean hotel but the room I was allocated was dark and depressing, with a view of a wall and hardly any natural light, I needed the light on when in the room. From my window I could not see the sky or know what the weather was like. I paid a £60 supplement for this room as I was alone and only this twin available. Two nights I was kept awake until after 3am with a Tv blasting out in an adjacent room, I phoned the night manager and he resolved the problem, only for it to occur again the next night. There were no rooms available for me to move. The occupant of the room did apologise to me, but I had lost 2 nights sleep and thus the enjoyment of my days.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank chevy53

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at The Imperial Hotel, Ilfracombe, and I have to say we had a lovely time at the hotel. We were welcomed from the moment we arrived, the Reception Staff were always very attentive and helpful.
The Imperial is a very large hotel and it is very well maintained and cleaned to a high standard throughout…just a piece of wallpaper hanging off on the 4th floor, which I am sure will be rectified shortly.
You are expected to leave your key with reception when you go out, which is great from a security point of view but is also a nice touch, as it means the House Keeping staff don’t have to second guess if you’re still in your room by walking in on you, should you have fancied a lazy morning.
The staff who served us breakfast were very good, the food was always served promptly so it was always hot.
You could say, as the hotel is mainly catered for by Leisureplexs’ coach parties they have a lot of visitors of a certain age, but please don’t be put off by this as they are always interesting people to engage with if you let yourself.
My wife and I will return to the hotel in the future and intend to go to several of other Leisureplex hotels too.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank apehols
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Firstly what a lovely hotel, spotless and very comforatable accomodation. The food was always hot and plentiful with a good choice off the menu. Staff always on hand to help and always polite. Entertainment could have been better although the Friday night was fantastic. I was slightly concerned that the coach did not have toilet facilities on board and the driver did not like to drive the old Dennis, he wanted his Volvo. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will be back. A good hotel in an excellent location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jellybaby9122
Reviewed July 31, 2011

A five day holiday booked through Alpha tours. (returned this evening!) Excellent location - the hotel is right on the sea front in Ilfracombe and it has an interesting history.(pictures of its yesteryear displayed ). On arrival and departure, the manager came aboard the coach to greet us and bid farewell - a very good PR gesture!! He took the time to do so - important in my book! My room, and that of my father's were basic but adequate - and spotlessly clean! After all, who wants such luxury that they spend the whole holiday in the hotel room ? The food was really excellent and all the staff were friendly and extremely helpful - going out of their way to make the experience pleasant and memorable. My only gripe was the 'entertainment' each evening which was very outdated -plus the optional (and invariable!!) bingo, but there were elderly people on the trip so perhaps it was right for them. If I visited Ilfracombe again, I would definitely stay at the Imperial.

Room Tip: Ilfracombe =seaside resort with....a superior choir of seagulls that can keep you awake! Shut the wi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank lyncarolmold
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This was supposed to be a nostalgic visit to where we first met. What a disappointment.
The hotel smelled musty and had obviously not been re-decorated for many years. In our room we found the remainders of sugar packets left on top of the picture frames. The beds had to remade, the sheet only came halfway up the bed. The shower leaked water all over the bathroom from a faulty water hose. We had paid extra for a sea view. This we did get, albeit once we could see over the roof of the porch beneath us and look past the hideous chimneys opposite. At no time were we warned that we would be imediately above where there would be loud music until 11pm. After a long and tiring journey this was the last thing we needed.

At breakfast it became clear that the hotel catered mainly for lower class coach tours, They all had breakfast in the much brighter large dining room. We were offered no choice of table in a dingy room that seemed to really be a bar. The staff were somewhat inattentive. The menu(for every meal on every day for the whole chain) was pre printed with little allowance for peoples preferences., it really was take it or leave it. You couldn't even select the amount of cereal you had. The orange juice was very watered down concentrate.

The whole experience was upsetting, as well as poor value for money.

We will not return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank errolites
Eliothotel, Owner at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We spend over £100,000 every year on maintenance and improvements to the hotel and in fact spend a higher proportion of our income on refurbishment than any other hotel group. The cone shaped structures opposite are not chimneys but parts of the Landmark Theatre. Though opinions differ on their attractiveness, there is no doubt they are an interesting architectural feature and we are delighted to have the theatre so close. Though sea view rooms on the first floor are affected by the noise from our entertainers, this is not a nightly occurrence and it finishes at 11:00pm. The shower has been checked and it does not leak. However, if the shower screen is not closed properly the water will spray onto the floor. We pride ourselves on the high standard of cleanliness of our hotels and I was concerned to read your comments about the cleanliness of your room. The Housekeeper will be following these up with the room attendant concerned and will be monitoring her work over the next few weeks to ensure that it is up to the standard we require. The dining room has two areas and the coach tours tend to be allocated the larger area as there are more people to seat. The private guests usually prefer the quieter smaller area which offers a more intimate ambience. However, if anyone requests a specific area we can normally accommodate their preference. As a two star hotel we try to offer the best possible choice of menu for all tastes. We have a four course breakfast offering fruit juice, starters, traditional British breakfast with a choice of eggs. Smoked Haddock, Kippers or Fresh Fruit from the fruit basket, tea/coffee and toast and preserves. A four course evening meal with four choices for each course and a full Vegetarian menu and Vegetarian breakfast is also available. Our guests can have as much as they want to eat and I am surprised that you found the cereal to be insufficient.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

We travelled to Ilfracombe via Alfa Travel with our driver Bill who was always ready for a laugh and joked on. The Imperial Hotel which is part of the Leisureplex group of Hotels and situated in one of the best positions in Ilfracombe opposite the Landmark Theatre (pity that they don't have shows throughout the year nothing on in June.) A short almost level walk to the shops and harbour. Entertainment was on most evenings only one night was quiz night attractive bar and excellent meals with good clean bedrooms. Ilfracombe is a premier resort in North Devon situated between the scenery of Exmoor. I think it is well worth the visit as regards the trips provided by Alfa we covered included excursions to Bideford and Great Torrington with a visit to Dartington Glass, Dunster and Minehead as an historic village with a Norman Castle steeped in history Visit to Barnstable, Lynton and Lynmouth with a trip on the water operated cliff railway Lynmouth is remembered for the floods and the loss of life with a museum. Not to be missed is an optional tour to the Watermouth Castle Theme Park (Lots of fun for everbody)and Devon Cream teas included.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank VinceDurham
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This is the second year in sucession for our Xmas stay at this hotel. The management and staff go out of their way to ensure you have a good time. The room we had was comfortable and warm and the food was very good along with the smiling service of our table waitress "Nadia".The Alfa tours driver "Jay" had a good Liverpool sense of humour and very helpful with some of the disabled passengers.. Never managed to get him to admit which football team he supported, such a diplomat !!.
The feeder coach system needs a complete overhaul in my opinion, 2 hours waiting for our connection to Stafford from Tamworth on our return, is far too long.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family