“An oasis of calm with quality food and excellent unobtrusive service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor

Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 117 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: British, French, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol, United Kingdom
“An oasis of calm with quality food and excellent unobtrusive service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I made a return trip to North Devon on business and thought I'd treat myself and do the same with this Hotel and it's excellent restaurant.

Being on a business trip I'd already 'eaten out' twice that day - a 'breakfast meeting' at a multiple with under warm over cooked food and lunch a 'hot buffet style' at a medium range hotel - lots of basic over cooked food standing in a very slow moving line in an overcrowded restaurant.

What a pleasant difference for my evening meal! The menu wasn't extensive but then it didn't need to be, there were sufficient choices on offer that made my choosing rather difficult - many favourite dishes to choose between.

The high point of the meal was the fact that my steak came cooked to perfection and tasted superb. The peppercorn sauce was spot on too complementing the obviously freshly prepared fresh vegetables for a really satisfying and enjoyable meal.

Service was attentive but not overbearing with no fuss or lack of attention to detail to mar what was a fine meal.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Tim M
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Tim M

Just a brief note to thank you very much for the kindness of your review.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience in Tyme Restaurant and look forward to seeing you again. I am glad that you enjoyed our new chef John's offering.

Glad we managed to cook your steak to perfection - one of those things which 'everyone' thinks is so easy but actually can be a challenging thing - both as chef's interpretation can vary from industry norms and customer's expectations! You only need to go to France to see that in evidence!

My very best wishes

Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
“not the place for a birthday dinner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place is close to us but we had never been there for dinner. Vegetarian main course option was just a basic pasta bake....not what you want on a night out. So I had veggie spring rolls from the starter menu instead. Salad probably just emptied from a pack of a supermarket leaves....very dull. My husband's steak was well cooked but chips poor and it came with a few mushrooms and tomato halves only. Desert was OK but uninspired. We found the venue very cold and unwelcoming and would not go back for an evening. For a summer ,if we get one, it looked a pretty place to sit outside for lunch ....but it is very expensive for what you get.

• Visited April 2013
13 Thank tiggersuki
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Tiggersuki

Thank you for your review though we are so disappointed to receive it, especially as it is the very first review you have left for anyone out of 42 reviews as 1 out of 5 - was the experience really that 'terrible'?

You never said anything on the night, nor that it was a birthday (see our reviews on Trimstone's page to see rather different comments to yours). Our other guests enjoyed themselves (and chose to come back and dine again the next night!). They did not believe the Restaurant was cold - nor the welcome. Despite the really bitter cold outside I did not notice a chilly temperature either when I went into the restaurant later - but had you mentioned it we would have brought auxiliary heating just for you and immediately. We don't want our guests to be cold!

I have chatted to the lady on duty and she has updated me on the evening.

It is a great shame you never said you were a vegetarian when you booked. Had you done so, we'd have offered more dishes - you seem to frequent vegetarian specialist restaurants - we are hardly likely to match their menus if we don't have prior warning!

You were met warmly and your coats were taken for you. Contrary to your comment, your husband said he'd dined with us before one evening.

You came with a special card which meant three courses were £14.25. Including prime steak, you describe that as 'very expensive' for a VisitBritain Three Star accredited Restaurant. I shall have to leave other readers to draw their own conclusions there.

The comment was that 'you seemed so nice' and to be honest, our lady was quite upset to learn of the comments and whilst she recounted how you appeared to look as if you had sucked a lemon from the moment you arrived, she was pleased to have elicited a smile from you at least once and you must have enjoyed something of the evening as you left a generous tip.

She asked you on several occasions if everything was satisfactory and you never mentioned anything was awry - Chef could have mustered some other vegetarian dish there and then had you noted your unhappiness with the menu choices. Sadly, as much as we are happy catering for special dietary needs it seems that vegetarians are the ones who complain more often (so much so that one would think they would be even more particular about where they choose to eat and to disclose their dietary habits when booking).

I should love to say please come back and try us again but regret to say that I don't think we are catering for your needs so please choose vegetarian specialists in the future - sorry. We hope you will continue to be happy elsewhere.

Philip J Milton - owner
Tyme Restaurant
Barnstaple
“How it is”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Living in North Devon I had heard of Trimstone Manor but never visited so when a deal was emailed to me from Travel Zoo I looked on the website. It looked like posh nosh which we both enjoy so bought the voucher for somewhere to take my Fiancée for her Birthday last October. I booked a table on a Saturday night in October only to receive a phone call on the day telling me that the girl that had taken my booking shouldn't have as the chef wanted the night off! I was offered a very early slot but we would be the only ones there! And I had visions of an angry chef having his evening off interrupted!

The next opportunity was Valentine's weekend so booked a table for last Saturday 16th and was assured that it would not be cancelled this time. I saw an advert in the local paper advertising Valentine's weekend so was reassured all would be fine. It was at this point that I read the Trip Advisor reviews on the Restaurant and could not believe the "Basil Faulty-sequence responses that the owner adds to negative reviews. To be honest we found these hysterical with the "don't bother coming back" and "we don't want your sort here" so similar to Basil's "no riff raff"!

So we went with an open mind no longer expecting quite the posh nosh we had been looking forward to and were hoping for an amusing night! Before I start my review may I say that I will happily eat anywhere from McDonald's to Gastropubs (there are many in North Devon) to Michelin star establishments. We have stayed in countless hotels some good some bad and have experienced many different levels of service.

From what we could see in the dark (no outside lighting making the walk from car park a bit tricky) the hotel looks a fine building but on closer inspection has not been sympathetically restored and on entering the bar area we finally found a member of staff and where we were offered a drink. This room has a stone fireplace but why not light the fire? And the bar area is not in keeping with the rest of the room. We chose from the menu and were then shown through to the restaurant (we were on our own!) again a fine room but cold what a difference a fire would make! We lit our own candle and were then brought our food. At this point two other couples joined us and a music player was switched on, I agree with a previous review the music is very sombre and it kept sticking and as it was Valentine's how about a bit of romantic music...The owner mentions bringing good company with you to enjoy your evening this is clearly because the the restaurant simply has no atmosphere! But the sad thing is bit a bit of thought and care and it could be so different.

I will not dwell on the food other than to say it is not posh nosh, it is not gastro pub food but simply hotel food typical of many hotels we have stayed in that enjoys a captive audience. I will however say that the Lamb was delicious, the Chicken new yorker was not so good and the cheesecake had not defrosted properly.

The owner seems to be against visitors on deals but in that case why does he offer them? If this restaurant really wants to stand alone from the hotel then it needs to raise its game and what's wrong with becoming a Michelin star restaurant or at least of that ilk surely North Devon could do with that and what a venue to create it! However if he is happy for it to be just for hotel guests and to entertain friends of family then maybe it's best left alone.

8 Thank DandSBarnstaple
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear DandS

Thank you for your review. We think you had a good time with us though the comments are mixed....

We are a Three Star Hotel but are not aiming for Michelin Rosettes - and wouldn't be able to afford to offer a three course meal to you for only about £14 if that's your budget to tempt you to an establishment for the first time for 'posh nosh'!

The vouchers are not meant to be used on 'special occasions' but we were happy to honour yours on our Valentine's evenings for you. In fact, four of us dined-in on the same menu as well and we had a lovely evening and our guests were very impressed with the food. What we had was very good.

We have some lovely comments in the Guest Book from the experience too from other guests.

I am sorry to have heard about your experience last October - it doesn't sound 'quite right' though certain staff members have since left us and perhaps I should not say any more. We now have some delightfully friendly staff too - as the guest book attests.

Happy to oblige TripAdvisor complainants with honest retorts to the occasional inappropriately negative reviews; so I'm glad you like them!

Outside lighting - had developed a fault - being fixed - sorry about that. The property is an historic, characterful one - designed for homely comfort and indeed, comfortably and sympathetically renovated and at very considerable cost over the last five years.

Can't light the fire as the chimney is unable to accept - past botch builders and a chimney stack that doesn't go all the way to the pot I regret & too big a project to tackle for now.

The music should indeed have been continuous and as for style - the staff are encouraged to select something in keeping for the impression we seek. Certainly 'sombre' is not the right description - and neither is yours of 'no atmosphere'. However, I can tell that you haven't ever been on the other side of the 'fence' so to speak as it's not quite as easy as you imagine...

We offer occasional deals as part of our marketing awareness and an opportunity to offer something extra to those guests. In the main, they work well but occasionally they do not and to be frank, I am fearful of the 'voucher mentality' over-taking things and changing customers and their expectations at some point (if not already). What we do like to see is a mutual goodwill demonstrated and I don't think that's too much to ask - and most display that in spades.

The reason why the Restaurant wouldn't be a Michelin starred establishment is because sadly the catchment across the whole patch is not supportive of those who try - hence why there are so few such eateries here. Add to that the fact that a certain average guest may not have gravitated beyond responding to a discount voucher rather than paying £100 per head inclusive of wine and that is the problem. I can tell we're not quite your cup of tea and that's fair enough - we shall continue to cater for those who enjoy what we offer and the surroundings in which we strive hard. That's only as it should be. Meantime, when you've opened your own restaurant, as it'll be perfect in all senses, do invite me (on a voucher of course!) and I'll gladly come and enjoy and tell you the things which I think could be improved!

Thank you for taking the time to review.

Stourbridge, England, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We live in the west midlands it was my husbands birthday on the 24 october2012 so i thought it would be nice to book a meal for us both, I searched the internet and found Tyme restaurant then called and booked a table, the menu I had seen offered a Mushroom risotto which I knew my husband enjoyed as a vegetarian,
We were met by a young man who showed us into the bar area which was very nice and we had a drink.
The starter we picked was a cream of vegetable soup it looked like a packet soup there was no flavour and few diced carrots all the same size and some peas, our main was Plaice for myself which was good the pan fried potatoes were hard in the middle and the white parsley sauce was milk with little or no parsley.
My husbands birthday meal looked awful it was a mass off rice with mushrooms and not much else there was no sign of cream and the cheese on top was cheddar?

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank JeanTaylor79
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear JaneTaylor79

Thank you for your review. Naturally we are unhappy that you were not happy though 1 out of 5 is rather unfair. I am sorry about that.

We change our menu every day so the website specimen is just that. (Do ask for copies if you would like to see what we do). If guests tell us on booking that they have special dietary needs, we do try to ensure there is more than just token choices on a 'just-in-case' basis. Indeed, if guests tell us of some special delights they enjoy especially in advance of a special birthday, we do our best to try to accommodate that too. However, it seems to be a thing that vegetarians are harder to please somehow as well and more inclined to leave a negative review - I am sure I shouldn't generalise as we welcome them all but that seems to be a pattern.

From the night I was unaware that anything was wrong with your meal - there were no comments then. Two other guests (one of whom had a dietary requirement to meet too) that evening noted excellent food and they ate-in for all of their four days' stay. The full list of other comments in the guest book from 22 October to 28 October say lovely food, great food and super food, so I'm very sorry that apparently something went wrong with your meals.

Please be assured incidentally that we can make a cream of vegetable soup - we certainly don't use packet soups.

I do not understand why you were as unfortunate or unhappy as you were but there we are. I am sorry that your experience was not as positive as everyone else's recently as from our Guest Book. Our apologies but the severity of your marking is undeserved too.

Philip J Milton - Owner - Tyme Restaurant
London, United Kingdom
“Dreadful in every sense”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Awful experience for a family get together of 9, the poor staff included, unbelievable really! Grey looking fish was served with no sauce aside a grey potato, 6 leather steaks served with a thick dollop of gunge, steak knives appeared eventually but really a chainsaw was necessary. Funeral type music started to play, perhaps to liven up the atmosphere as there were no other customers....it would be perfect for a "Murder Mystery" weekend, but otherwise this place should be avoided at all costs (the menu was grossly over priced too).

• Visited October 2012
17 Thank Sarah d
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone Manor, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Why thank you for the review.

You were the boorish lot from away who turned-up really late, in dribs and drabs for your booking, brandishing a discount card and thinking you owned the place. We've come across diners like you before and your nouveau riche plastique doesn't impress us.

It's funny what you say actually because the same night you arrived (quite a bit later than the other ten guests that evening) my family was dining-in too to entertain two friends of our children, the first time for quite a while. We didn't have any trouble in having a very pleasant meal - I had the Pollock and enjoyed it (perhaps you couldn't recognise it or you're not used to fish without batter, if so why order something unless you're prepared to be adventurous?). Perhaps it is the company which helps make an evening - ours was great.

As for the steaks, it can't be the same ones which another diner noted as food yummy, steak great, could it? I know they can vary sometimes but come on, for goodness sake. If they were that bad you'd have returned them and asked for replacements and not eaten them all. It beggars belief and I am sure other readers of your review will think the same (apart from the rest of your group naturally but what should we expect from them). The steaks our party had were enjoyed very much - same cuts, same source and same Chef - that's odd isn't it. Our group didn't even need steak knives which tells you something.

To recognise funeral music you must attend more of those types of events than those to which I'm accustomed but that's not what we play here. Perhaps you're not very discerning but if you wanted very modern, racy music, why are you coming to an old property with roots pre-Domesday? There's no accounting for decorum and taste of one's guests is there! Sadly we have to put-up with the types of you, who polish-off all their food and then relish giving a one-out-of five rating as they imagine they're some snooty critics from the City - who can't perhaps discern between the good and the bad.

As for a pricey menu - £28.50 for three courses of home-prepared fare, from choices of three or four of each course; you'd best frequent pizza bars or establishments more likely to cater for your budget tastes but certainly you won't be welcome back with us and I should warn other local establishments to avoid you as well.

Other readers, if you'd like honest, home-prepared fare pulling from the best of local quality produce wherever possible and at a sensible price and in nice, historic surroundings with pleasant staff and homelike comfort, please do give us a call and we'll look forward to seeing you. However, if you think you're masterful critics yet on a budget to suit the supermarket, we're not for you and to be frank, we don't want your sort here as we're not desperate. If you're bringing friends or family too, please make sure your company is good as that helps you enjoy your evening - we can't arrange that bit for you. If you want a few alternative reviews of our food which somewhat contradict this one before you try, drop us an email and I'll pop some along.